Old March 30th 07, 01:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Croxley Rail Link Petition

There is now an oline petition

YAWN

These are now more trendy to have, than the actual reason for them

Old March 30th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 29, 10:08 pm, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:
"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

Ask the general populace of SW Herts about what they thought of the
Croxley rail link and I doubt that 95% would know what you were
talking about. Probabley need to make that 98%.
Bearing in mind that the bulk of WCML users will be business users
they will be using taxi or private car to Watford Junc anyway so I
don't think that they will be too bothered.

That's a circular argument. Of course they are currently using cars in
preference to the Croxley Link, because the Link doesn't exist.

Sounds like a good idea to me, if it gives a link to the WCML northbound
from places like Harrow, Rickmansworth, Pinner etc without going via London.

Government keeps talking about capacity improvements - but they need to
understand that sometimes this involves spending some money.

Regards

Jonathan

I can just imagine all those business users getting out of their cars
if the link was there. The link doesn't actually do anything about
increasing capacity. I do actually agree with the link, my only
concern is why the cost is so high and whether it is cost affective. I
can think of much better ways of delivering a better service for the
people in SW Herts for the amount of money being spent.

Kevin

Old March 30th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29 Mar 2007 15:50:26 -0700, "Mr Thant"
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
The DC line is part of what was built as a network of lines with
common equipment and working arrangements

Whatever gave you that idea? The Silverlink Metro is a mess of
orphaned lines built by countless different companies that have been
munged together to form a very mixed up network. The only line the DC
line was built in conjunction with is in fact the Bakerloo.

That shows you know 6ugger all about it. The DC line is one line
within an electrification scheme of the London and North Western
Railway which involved not only the current DC and North London Lines
but also services to Earls Court, Kew Bridge, Croxley Green and
Rickmansworth. It was a combination of new build and upgrading using
common rolling stock and electrification.
snip
Old March 30th 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:04:37 +0100, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:08:21 +0100, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

Ask the general populace of SW Herts about what they thought of the
Croxley rail link and I doubt that 95% would know what you were
talking about. Probabley need to make that 98%.
Bearing in mind that the bulk of WCML users will be business users
they will be using taxi or private car to Watford Junc anyway so I
don't think that they will be too bothered.

That's a circular argument. Of course they are currently using cars in
preference to the Croxley Link, because the Link doesn't exist.

Sounds like a good idea to me, if it gives a link to the WCML northbound
from places like Harrow,

Harrow and Wealdstone to Euston or Watford Junction ?

Rickmansworth,

Rickmansworth (Church Street) to ditto ?

Would that be the Rickmansworth Church Street that closed in 1952?

Correct. Apparently there weren't enough people wanting to go to/from
Watford or further on.
Old March 30th 07, 05:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Mar, 18:05, Charles Ellson wrote:
That shows you know 6ugger all about it. The DC line is one line
within an electrification scheme of the London and North Western
Railway which involved not only the current DC and North London Lines
but also services to Earls Court, Kew Bridge, Croxley Green and
Rickmansworth. It was a combination of new build and upgrading using
common rolling stock and electrification.

None of which has anything to do with London Overground.

Old March 30th 07, 06:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Mar 2007 10:36:20 -0700, "Mr Thant"
wrote:

On 30 Mar, 18:05, Charles Ellson wrote:
That shows you know 6ugger all about it. The DC line is one line
within an electrification scheme of the London and North Western
Railway which involved not only the current DC and North London Lines
but also services to Earls Court, Kew Bridge, Croxley Green and
Rickmansworth. It was a combination of new build and upgrading using
common rolling stock and electrification.

None of which has anything to do with London Overground.

So TfL is building new railway lines for the service ?
Old March 30th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Mar, 19:29, Charles Ellson wrote:
So TfL is building new railway lines for the service ?

No, but as you mentioned, only a fraction of the old network exists
(or at least, is available to LO services), so it's not really
relevant to current and future service provision.

Old March 30th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Mar 2007 11:47:18 -0700, "Mr Thant"
wrote:

On 30 Mar, 19:29, Charles Ellson wrote:
So TfL is building new railway lines for the service ?

No, but as you mentioned, only a fraction of the old network exists
(or at least, is available to LO services), so it's not really
relevant to current and future service provision.

The greater part of the network still exists in use. Apart from the
diversion of the eastern end of the NLL and no services now running
via Primrose Hill, the two main sections are running the same core
services (apart from reduction in traffic) much the same as they have
for the last 80-odd years. It is hardly "a fraction".
Old March 30th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 30, 7:47 pm, "Mr Thant"
wrote:
No, but as you mentioned, only a fraction of the old network exists
(or at least, is available to LO services), so it's not really
relevant to current and future service provision.

I'm sorry, but I agree with the earlier comment that you seem to know
6ugger all about it - or at least not about the history of it - since
the majority of the old network DOES exist.

The only bits that do not exist today are Broad Street itself from
Dalston Junction, and the short electrified sections to Kensington and
Earls Court, and the Rickmansworth bit.

The rest - Euston to Watford and Richmond - Dalston (junction) remain
- by far the greatest mileage, the core routes of the old network, and
the core routes of Silverlink metro today.

--
Nick

Old March 30th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 29, 7:06 am, "THC" wrote:
Jack, tryhttp://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Croxleylink/

Kev, I'm sure you're aware that TfL have already committed funding to
this project - £18m if memory serves me - as part of their five-year
investment programme. This project would provide excellent network
benefits and open up the commercial centre of Watford to rail access
from large parts of north-west London and south Bucks. It suffers for
falling between the gaps in public sector responsibility but is backed
locally, regionally and in the Government Office for the region.
Someone at DfT needs to have their arse kicked, I think,
metaphorically speaking of course. I for one hope this project gets
the go-ahead.

THC

My "signature" is on the pettition. I sincerely hope this happens.
It will give Metroland residents a direct link to the WCML. I am sure
it will save many trips to Euston by way of Euston Square. :-)

It remains to be seen if the politicians have the will to make this
connection happen.

Adrian