Old April 3rd 07, 06:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Southern's 13 Power Box Scheme

I know the SR had a plan in the 70's to have 13 PSB's for the whole
region can anyone shed some light, plan did not happen as such.

Old April 3rd 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know the SR had a plan in the 70's to have 13 PSB's for the whole
region can anyone shed some light, plan did not happen as such.

I don't know if it was ever finished, but London Bridge, Victoria (Clapham
Jn) and Ashford were all part of it.

MaxB

Old April 3rd 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 3, 2:11 am, "MaxB" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...I know the SR had a plan in the 70's to have 13 PSB's for the whole
region can anyone shed some light, plan did not happen as such.

I don't know if it was ever finished, but London Bridge, Victoria (Clapham
Jn) and Ashford were all part of it.

I agree it certainly started but was not finished.

The Central Division (mainly) boxes LB, VA, Three Bridges were
certainly three of them - but I think that was it.

I am not so sure Ashford was one - maybe if so it would have been much
extended. ISTR Ashford was older, resignalled under Kent Coast Phase
II, and like Eastleigh and Basingstoke and other 1960s boxes pre-dated
the 13 box scheme, and replaced by a new one/s or the equipment/s
supplanted. Then what went into Ashford was - by the time it was done
- was no longer part of the 13 box scheme.

I'm wondering if Dartford was one of them, not sure. OTH, I'm pretty
sure Feltham was not. Or again, both of these might have been
locations for extension or upgrade into the 13 box plan.

Waterloo would also have been one of them - but was deferred delayed
and generally procrastinated over by which time the idea had moved on,
and SR as in the region had more or less gone by the time it was under
way.

I'd be interested if anyone can dig out some detailed plans of the 13
box scheme to see how it compares with todays railway.

--
Nick

Old April 3rd 07, 12:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I wonder if there will ever be any major Area Signalling Centres developed
in the south, cf Rugby? Or will there only be piecemeal improvements like
Portsmouth (new Havant SC) and the current Basingstoke works...

Paul

Old April 3rd 07, 01:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 3, 2:11 am, "MaxB" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

'Waterloo' eventually became 'Wimbledon'. Dartford was resignalled, but
instead of the part-completed (built, but not kitted-out) box at Gillingham
being used, it went into some of the under-used acres of Ashford IECC. In
terms of passenger-miles, the majority of the former Southern Region is
probably controlled by about a dozen or so control centres.
Brian

Old April 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message .com
"D7666" wrote:

On Apr 3, 2:11 am, "MaxB" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...I know the SR had a plan in the 70's to have 13 PSB's for the whole
region can anyone shed some light, plan did not happen as such.

I don't know if it was ever finished, but London Bridge, Victoria (Clapham
Jn) and Ashford were all part of it.

I agree it certainly started but was not finished.

The Central Division (mainly) boxes LB, VA, Three Bridges were
certainly three of them - but I think that was it.

I am not so sure Ashford was one - maybe if so it would have been much
extended. ISTR Ashford was older, resignalled under Kent Coast Phase
II, and like Eastleigh and Basingstoke and other 1960s boxes pre-dated
the 13 box scheme, and replaced by a new one/s or the equipment/s
supplanted. Then what went into Ashford was - by the time it was done
- was no longer part of the 13 box scheme.

I was under the impression that Basingstoke was one of the 13, hence the
elimination of the Southampton boxes about 1980.

sneaky plug

For a touch of LSWR/SR nostalgia my Southampton signal box pages are at
http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/sigbox/sigbox.htm

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old April 3rd 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 3, 6:10 am, "BH Williams" wrote:

'Waterloo' eventually became 'Wimbledon'. Dartford was resignalled, but
instead of the part-completed (built, but not kitted-out) box at Gillingham
being used, it went into some of the under-used acres of Ashford IECC.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of - the BR SR 13 plan for
Ashford was not the same as the new Ashford that is today,

In
terms of passenger-miles, the majority of the former Southern Region is
probably controlled by about a dozen or so control centres.

Yes and no - there are approaching that number of large panel/IECC
boxes
Waterloo/Wimbledon
Feltham
Woking
Basingstoke
Eastleigh
Portsmouth (haha)
Victoria
Three Bridges
London Bridge
Dartford
Ashford
= 11,
but the point about the SR 13 is they would have eliminated *all*
other boxes, and clearly there are still a large number of those all
over the present southern zone. So today instead of 13 large area
boxes and nothing else, we appear to have 11 larg-ish area boxes plus
quite a lot of other installations, some of which looking as if they
will run on for ever.

--
Nick

Old April 3rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Arundel was being mentioned recently as being upgraded to a power box but I
think it will be at Barnham now.

Old April 3rd 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 3, 8:59 am, "8sub" wrote:

over the present southern zone. So today instead of 13 large area
boxes and nothing else, we appear to have 11 larg-ish area boxes plus
quite a lot of other installations, some of which looking as if they
will run on for ever.

Arundel was being mentioned recently as being upgraded to a power box but I
think it will be at Barnham now.

Yep, but still nothing on the scale of the large 13 area boxes. For
example Salisbury is also a panel - and has been since c.1980 - but
was neither one of the SR 13 nor is it anywhere near as large.

--
Nick

Old April 3rd 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

'Dartford' is a workstation at Ashford IECC, as is the CTRL .
Brian