Old May 10th 07, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Critique my tube map

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , John Rowland
writes

The Metropolitan Line has unused platforms at Swiss Cottage station,
so the line should probably run closer to or through the station.

It's not really the same station. Just another one with the same name.

Have you been there, Clive? The Met platforms are just behind a locked door
which you pass on your way from the Jubilee platforms to the street.

Old May 10th 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Rowland" wrote
Sarah Brown wrote:
In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2007, Peter Smyth wrote:

MAP SHOWDOWN

I vote for this one

http://www.colourcountry.net/colourc...aces/media.pdf

Oh, that is not right. That is really so very not right at all.

The geek in me thinks that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages.

The geek in me thinks that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages,
but wishes it was 11*25.

I can't get 275. 14*20 = 280, minus 4 in the bottom right-hand
corner, minus one along the right edge, minus one on the third row.
That's 274 innit?

Old May 10th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I'm not sure you should use the dot symbol at Baker Street between Met
and Circle/H&C, as it isn't a cross-platform interchange in the usual
sense (of westbound-to-westbound and eastbound-to-eastbound).

There is level interchange between all of the following: Circle/H&C P5
(eastbound); Met P2 (through westbound trains from Aldgate); Met P1
(about half of terminating eastbound trains and starting westbound
trains). As for a way of indicating this, however...

Well, this is a quarter-reverse-cross-platform interchange then! :-)

Old May 10th 07, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Rowland" wrote
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
John Rowland writes

The Metropolitan Line has unused platforms at Swiss Cottage
station,
so the line should probably run closer to or through the station.

It's not really the same station. Just another one with the same
name.

Have you been there, Clive? The Met platforms are just behind a
locked door which you pass on your way from the Jubilee platforms
to the street.

Whilst on the subject of Swiss Cottage, ten years ago I wrote to
Metropolitan Line HQ asking whether a group of enthusiasts could be
allowed to travel on a "rusty rail" empty working which
traverses/traversed the crossover there. They not only agreed but
also added a visit to the control room at Baker Street and also
allowed us to ride during a shunt move at Harrow-on-the-Hill and, at
the end of the trip, during various unusual moves ending up at
Wembley Park platform 6. (2nd August 1997.) A very impressive
response: I doubt whether it would happen today.

Old May 10th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article om, MIG
writes
This was the reason why, after the derailment on the crossover at
Camden Town, the service was simplified so that all Bank branch went
to the Edgware branch, and all Charing Cross branch went to the Barnet
branch.

IIRC, after the derailment they picked the pairing that didn't use the
failed points.

Looking at it now, I can't see where there's any set of points that
could be avoided by any option, although they could avoid changing the
points and treat them as plain rail in a fixed direction.

Of course you're right there. Possibly they picked the *position* that
didn't involve going over the track that was derailed on.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 10th 07, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Salmon wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote
Sarah Brown wrote:
In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2007, Peter Smyth wrote:
MAP SHOWDOWN
I vote for this one

http://www.colourcountry.net/colourc...aces/media.pdf
Oh, that is not right. That is really so very not right at all.
The geek in me thinks that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages.

The geek in me thinks that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages,
but wishes it was 11*25.

I vote for it too. Much as I really like alex_t's map I was as a boy
fascinated by the escalator link and very disappointed when I finally go
to try it.

That fascination is captured for me beautifully in this map.

mf

Old May 10th 07, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 10 May 2007, asdf wrote:

On 9 May 2007 17:02:38 -0700, Simon W wrote:

New version is now available:http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

It looked good before and looks even better now. I'm sure the pendants
will be around when the sun rises!

*waves*

I'm not sure you should use the dot symbol at Baker Street between Met
and Circle/H&C, as it isn't a cross-platform interchange in the usual
sense (of westbound-to-westbound and eastbound-to-eastbound).

Agreed. I'm slightly dubious about Euston too, since at the moment it
looks like there's interchange between the southbound Vic and the
northbound City branch, which there isn't. You could make it look right by
distorting the lines to have them both running through north-south, but
after all the fuss we've had about layout, that seems silly.

Camden Town's not cross-platform?

Also, i personally don't like the look of the dot. What's wrong with just
letting the confluence of lines in one circle show cross-platformity? But
this is an aesthetic choice, and it's Alex's to make.

There is level interchange between all of the following: Circle/H&C P5
(eastbound); Met P2 (through westbound trains from Aldgate); Met P1
(about half of terminating eastbound trains and starting westbound
trains). As for a way of indicating this, however...

The LU way - a dagger and a footnote!

I'm intrigued by Alex's choice to represent Edgware Road as two
unconnected circles with a single name. Physically, it is indeed like
Paddington and Hammersmith, which are handled this way on LU's maps, so
this makes sense, but AIUI, they're not considered a single station from a
ticketing point of view. Would it make sense to show the Shepherd's Bush
stations this way too?

tom

--
The term Nihilartikel for a fictitious entry originated at the German
Wikipedia but was later identified as a hoax. -- Wikipedia
Old May 10th 07, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

As for a way of indicating this, however...

I may revert to separate circles here - it certainly does not look
right to me (today).

Old May 10th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

You could make it look right by
distorting the lines to have them both running through north-south, but
after all the fuss we've had about layout, that seems silly.

Oh, come on - what haven't I done with that map already? ;-)
I will bend Victoria as you described.

Camden Town's not cross-platform?

Is it?
I thought it has two close, but separate "sub-stations"?

What's wrong with just
letting the confluence of lines in one circle show cross-platformity?

It will look too similar to same track usage in many cases (check
Chiswick Park or Wembley Park on my map).

I'm intrigued by Alex's choice to represent Edgware Road as two
unconnected circles with a single name.

Well, that's because I was clueless to their "official" status. I will
name them both now.

Would it make sense to show the Shepherd's Bush stations
this way too?

In the light of the new facts - no.

Old May 10th 07, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Salmon" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote
Sarah Brown wrote:
In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2007, Peter Smyth wrote:

MAP SHOWDOWN

I vote for this one

http://www.colourcountry.net/colourc...aces/media.pdf

Oh, that is not right. That is really so very not right at all.

The geek in me thinks that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages.

The geek in me thinks that's the coolest thing I've seen in ages, but
wishes it was 11*25.

I can't get 275. 14*20 = 280, minus 4 in the bottom right-hand corner,
minus one along the right edge, minus one on the third row. That's 274
innit?

I think the difference is Hammersmith which is two seperate stations but
only represented by one dot.

Peter Smyth

Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
3D Tube map Dave Arquati London Transport 5 November 19th 03 12:13 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM