Old May 10th 07, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Critique my tube map

On 9 May 2007 17:02:38 -0700, Simon W wrote:

New version is now available:http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

- all cross-platforms now changed to single circle (with black centre)
- which lead to large changes for Piccadilly and Baker Street area
for all lines
- reworked area around Camden Town junction
- added missing link between Bank (DLR) and Bank (W&C)

It looked good before and looks even better now. I'm sure the pendants
will be around when the sun rises!

*waves*

I'm not sure you should use the dot symbol at Baker Street between Met
and Circle/H&C, as it isn't a cross-platform interchange in the usual
sense (of westbound-to-westbound and eastbound-to-eastbound).

There is level interchange between all of the following: Circle/H&C P5
(eastbound); Met P2 (through westbound trains from Aldgate); Met P1
(about half of terminating eastbound trains and starting westbound
trains). As for a way of indicating this, however...
Old May 11th 07, 01:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I'm lost in the thread, so I will just reply to myself.
I've uploaded a new version, with reworked Circle line (from High
Street Kensington to King's Cross via Baker Street) - so the area of
Paddington and Bayswater/Queensway situation fixed now. I hope that I
did not introduce new mistakes, as I had to change most of the
surrounding lines.

NB: Do not bother checking Bakerloo west of Warwick Avenue, and Met/
Jubilee north of Baker Street - I will redraw them during the weekend.

http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

Old May 14th 07, 04:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

A small addition to the thread - I've changed some URLs that I posted
before. To find the map use the main URL (it will remain useful):
http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

This is due to the release of first test version of future extensions
map - only first phase of East London Railway so far (and Regent's
Park :-P ). But I have huge plans - for example I'm preparing
historical map for 22nd Dec 1932 (I wonder if anybody will guess all 5
reasons that made me choose that particular date?).

Old May 14th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 May 2007 21:10:46 -0700, alex_t
wrote:

A small addition to the thread - I've changed some URLs that I posted
before. To find the map use the main URL (it will remain useful):
http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

I think the map is really very nice effort - goodness knows how much
work it's taken.

I know you've been subjected to a lot of comments and corrections to try
to get the relative geography of the lines correct. There is one
station where the alignment of lines relative to their interchange is
not right. At West Ham the Jubilee platforms are to the south of the
District / H&C and their platforms are to the east of the Jubilee Line.
Up to you if you wish to make this change or not.

--
Paul C

Old May 15th 07, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"alex_t" wrote in message
ups.com...
A small addition to the thread - I've changed some URLs that I posted
before. To find the map use the main URL (it will remain useful):
http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

This is due to the release of first test version of future extensions
map - only first phase of East London Railway so far (and Regent's
Park :-P ). But I have huge plans - for example I'm preparing
historical map for 22nd Dec 1932 (I wonder if anybody will guess all 5
reasons that made me choose that particular date?).

Was this the date of the first diagrammatical map by Harry Beck?
Or the last non-diagrammatical Tube map?

I don't think any stations or lines were opened (or closed) on that date and
the LPTB was not formed till 6 months later.
Wembley Park, Kingsbury, Queensbury, Canons Park and Stanmore were opened
near that time.

Nick

Old May 16th 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

1. I want to make a map featuring maximum (or close to maximum) spread
of the independent Metropolitan railway (Stanmore branch, Brill,
Aylesbury, Uxbridge road, etc). So it limited my selection to Dec 10
1932 (opening of Stanmore branch*) - 30 June 1933 (last day before
LPTB took over) range.

2. Then I decided to concentrate on 1932, since I wasn't sure that
Metropolitan was intact in 1933 (after all probably they weren't
overtaken in one day, and probably there was some preparatory work in
advance). Also 1932 had many other differences to 1933, which made the
map more interesting - Piccadilly extension to Cockfosters unfinished,
Piccadilly not serving Hounslow and Uxbridge, British Museum still on
Central, etc. So the range was limited to Dec 10 1932 to 31 Dec 1932.

3. Then I decided to exclude Christmas and period after it (some
services could be cut back at the time of the holidays). So Dec 10 to
Dec 24.

4. The next dates to go were 24th (Saturday and X-mas Eve) and 23rd
(Friday, just in case some services could be limited at the end of the
work week).

Which left me with December 22nd. I checked it and did not find any
conflicting events - except something like signing of Maldivian (or
Maltese?) constitution, but I can survive that.

And it means that I have only 2 real reasons (4 with a stretch). Oops!
Sorry.

By the way, it would be nice to find some information about last year
of Metropolitan. Current reasons for nationalisation sound very dry,
but there was some struggle I suppose (and hope). Metropolitan seems
to be such influental and interesting company, that for some mis-
guided reason was overtaken by state and slowly cut down into pieces
(process that started immediately after take over and ended only in
1990).

* without Queensbury

Old May 16th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

alex_t wrote:
A small addition to the thread - I've changed some URLs that I
posted before. To find the map use the main URL (it will remain
useful): http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

This is due to the release of first test version of future
extensions map - only first phase of East London Railway so far
(and Regent's Park :-P ). But I have huge plans - for example I'm
preparing historical map for 22nd Dec 1932 (I wonder if anybody
will guess all 5 reasons that made me choose that particular date?).

If you're going to use your design for historical maps, you might want
to change the Jubilee Line alignment at Baker Street, where currently
you show it as crossing the Bakerloo at right angles. The T-junction of
the Stanmore branch with the rest of the Bakerloo would look odd on,
say, a 1940 map.

In fact the Jubilee line to Bond Street leaves Baker Street going
north-west along roughly the same alignment as the Bakerloo. You can
see the route it takes by asking the TfL Journey Planner for a journey
from postcode W1G 6BW to Westminster station, specifying no buses. Most
of the journeys offered should start with a walk to Baker Street and
then the Jubilee, and the "start map" for the walk will show the route
of the Jubilee Line in that area.

--
Richard J.

Old May 9th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi Alex.
What an interesting map / thread-about-the-map this is.

It would be interesting to see a series of how your various repositionings
and re-workings have progressed, maybe.

Now, I don't know much about where the lines go and that sort of thing, but
I do know that Willesden Green station is actually due north of Kensal
Green station (I used to live around there, and wandered around a bit), and
they're actually pretty close to each other. This is pretty easy to see on
Google Maps (or, I imagine, an A-Z or similar ;-).

I'm not sure how you'd be able to cram all those Bakerloo Line stations in
next to the Metropolitan line if you moved everything back towards the
east, but I guess that would be for you to work out, and the rest of us to
nitpick over...

Keep up the good work!

--
Adam

Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
3D Tube map Dave Arquati London Transport 5 November 19th 03 12:13 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM