Old February 21st 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Commuting time map

Dear All

I hope I've come to the right place to ask this question.

I was commenting with a colleague recently how she (living in Sevenoaks)
takes a similar amount of time as me (in Raynes Park) to get into work
(we're based in Monument).

It made me wonder if anyone has re-designed a London travel map in terms of
time frame of reference - i.e. shortest time taken to get to a major London
station (e.g. Waterloo, Victoria, London Bridge, Liverpool Street etc.)
from around the south-east?

Just interested from a commuting viewpoint.

Regards
Richard

Old February 21st 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard Dixon wrote:
Dear All

I hope I've come to the right place to ask this question.

I was commenting with a colleague recently how she (living in Sevenoaks)
takes a similar amount of time as me (in Raynes Park) to get into work
(we're based in Monument).

It made me wonder if anyone has re-designed a London travel map in terms of
time frame of reference - i.e. shortest time taken to get to a major London
station (e.g. Waterloo, Victoria, London Bridge, Liverpool Street etc.)
from around the south-east?

Just interested from a commuting viewpoint.

There is software available to companies involved in transport planning
which can plot "isochrones" (contours of time) of public transport
journey time to a specific point in London.

Unfortunately I can't immediately see any available on the internet.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 21st 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in
:

There is software available to companies involved in transport
planning which can plot "isochrones" (contours of time) of public
transport journey time to a specific point in London.

Unfortunately I can't immediately see any available on the internet.

Thanks - if you are able to find anything then please report back - it's
something I'd often wondered about and would have thought something would
have been available !

Many thanks
Richard
Old February 21st 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard Dixon wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote in
:

There is software available to companies involved in transport
planning which can plot "isochrones" (contours of time) of public
transport journey time to a specific point in London.

Unfortunately I can't immediately see any available on the internet.

Thanks - if you are able to find anything then please report back - it's
something I'd often wondered about and would have thought something would
have been available !

Unfortunately it's not openly available as those companies use the
software to provide information to clients, e.g. when assessing an
office relocation scheme, they can provide the client with maps showing
which areas become closer temporally to the new location, and which
become further away, plotting the change in journey time as a set of
isochrones.

It's pretty interesting stuff; I did have a paper version of one, but
I'm not sure where I put it, otherwise I'd scan it in to show you.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 21st 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:17:15 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:
It's pretty interesting stuff; I did have a paper version of one, but
I'm not sure where I put it, otherwise I'd scan it in to show you.

You get strange bubbles in areas where express trains stop. Slough and
Reading would be in the same isochrone for places in zone 1 for example,
but Maidenhead and Twyford would be "higher". Of course time of day and
mode of travel makes a difference too.
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Old February 21st 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard Dixon wrote
[...]
I was commenting with a colleague recently how she (living in

Sevenoaks)
takes a similar amount of time as me (in Raynes Park) to get into

work
(we're based in Monument).

It made me wonder if anyone has re-designed a London travel map in

terms of
time frame of reference - i.e. shortest time taken to get to a major

London
station (e.g. Waterloo, Victoria, London Bridge, Liverpool Street

etc.)
from around the south-east?

Just interested from a commuting viewpoint.

I think it can't be done on a flat map without rearranging the order of
stations on each line.

Thus your Raynes Park (23' am peak) will have to be shown as further
out than Surbiton (18') as will Wimbledon (19').

Commuters from West Byfleet were complaining that with the new
timetable they had only stopping trains in the morning peak (40') but
they do have a fast return service (26'). So West Byfleet must be shown
as further out than Wokng (26' & 23') and possibly as far out as
Farnborough (36' & 39').

Best of luck to anyone trying to generate such a map.

--
Mike D

Old February 22nd 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

Richard Dixon wrote
[...]
[...]

You do it like a weather chart or OS map with contours. The contours
represent the points of equal time and yes some places further out will
have less travel minutes.
peter

Old February 22nd 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

peter wrote:

I think it can't be done on a flat map without rearranging the order of
stations on each line.

Thus your Raynes Park (23' am peak) will have to be shown as further
out than Surbiton (18') as will Wimbledon (19').

Commuters from West Byfleet were complaining that with the new
timetable they had only stopping trains in the morning peak (40') but
they do have a fast return service (26'). So West Byfleet must be shown
as further out than Wokng (26' & 23') and possibly as far out as
Farnborough (36' & 39').

Best of luck to anyone trying to generate such a map.

--
Mike D

You do it like a weather chart or OS map with contours. The contours
represent the points of equal time and yes some places further out will
have less travel minutes.
peter

However the contours on an OS map (and AFAIK isobars on a weather chart)
never touch let alone cross. Whereas, in the example that Mike gave,
the isochrones will have to cross. That will make it rather hard to read.
Old February 22nd 05, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stephen Osborn" wrote in message

However the contours on an OS map (and AFAIK isobars on a weather chart)
never touch let alone cross.

They can touch, but they can't cross.

Whereas, in the example that Mike gave,
the isochrones will have to cross.

No, they won't. It's just the same as a weather map, it's just a map where
every point has a real number associated with it. Draw two isochrones
crossing each other, write various times on the isochrones and on the spaces
between them, and you'll see that it can't happen.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 22nd 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Stephen Osborn" wrote in message

However the contours on an OS map (and AFAIK isobars on a weather chart)
never touch let alone cross.

They can touch, but they can't cross.

I think you are wrong there.

Contours mark places of equal height. If two contours touch at any one
point then, de definito, they have to touch at *all* points, so the two
contours become one contour.

Whereas, in the example that Mike gave,
the isochrones will have to cross.

No, they won't. It's just the same as a weather map, it's just a map where
every point has a real number associated with it. Draw two isochrones
crossing each other, write various times on the isochrones and on the spaces
between them, and you'll see that it can't happen.

I was accepting Mike's point that "I think it can't be done on a flat
map without rearranging the order of stations on each line."

Using Mike's example, a 'railway straight line' runs Wimbledon, Raynes
Park & Surbiton in that order. The isochrone passes through Wimbledon &
Surbiton (ignoring the 1 minute difference) but not through Raynes Park.

That arrangement is possible on an OS map or weather chart as, say, two
maxima (M) can be separated by a minimum (m) so there will be places
with the same value but they are not linked by a contour / isobar. For
example a1 & a2 in the diagram below:

a b a
a a b b a a

a M a1 b m b a2 M a

a a b b a a
a b a

Here the contours / isobars that a1 & a2 sit on have different centres.

For a travel map to be of use, every point on it has to share share the
same centre.

regards

Stephen