Old June 18th 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default RMT sabre rattling again?

Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

B2003

Old June 18th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes
Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

Yep, eventually public sympathy will go, the next Tory govt (sadly there
will be one) will turn the Underground into about 8 or 9 private
companies and the RMT will become all but dead !!

The sad thing is that Unions don't learn from the past. Where are the
other great Unions ? What happened to the NUM ? They all became
dinosaurs pushing for silly claims and conditions, still thinking it was
1900, not 2000 and they became extinct.

Not that Crow cares. I bet he's on the best money he's ever earned in
his life and he can look forward to a seat in the house of Lords. What
can his members hope for ??

--
Edward Cowling "Must Go - The Wild Geese Are Calling"

Old June 18th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

I can only assume Bob Crow's terms and conditions require him to launch into
a new conflict with LU about every 6 months - is there a record kept
anywhere of which month these 'considering a ballot' stories appear every
year?

Paul

Old June 18th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

the next Tory govt (sadly there will be one)

Look ma, the Labour still have one voter left!

Old June 18th 07, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
alex_t writes

the next Tory govt (sadly there will be one)

Look ma, the Labour still have one voter left!

I hope you still feel like joking after a few years of good old David
Cameron and his buddies !

--
Edward Cowling "Must Go - The Wild Geese Are Calling"

Old June 18th 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 18, 12:55 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message

oups.com...

Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

I can only assume Bob Crow's terms and conditions require him to launch into
a new conflict with LU about every 6 months - is there a record kept
anywhere of which month these 'considering a ballot' stories appear every
year?

Paul

It's summer. Those tubeworkers don't want to be underground, so they
have to come up with an excuse to go on strike. I'd vote for any
government who said they'd ban strike action on transport, in
hospitals. education and the emergency services.

Neill

Old June 18th 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

B2003

There pension is not worth fighting for ???

regards
Clyde

Old June 18th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I hope you still feel like joking after a few years of good old David
Cameron and his buddies !

Well, to be fair I'm not even sure I will be here by then - I'm
foreigner*, and who knows what part of BNP's stance against migrants
tories will adopt. You will have the last laugh then.

But the current situation with immigration must be changed - I'm a
certified "highly skilled migrant" and during my two year long
struggle to get legal work permit I saw so much abuse and cheating of
the system that I despise and quite wary of other migrants in the UK.

* - proud to say that I'm not an economical migrant

Old June 18th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Jun, 14:59, "clyde dempster"
wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message

oups.com...

Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

B2003

There pension is not worth fighting for ???

Why now and not 5 , 10 , 15 years ago? And how come strike action
seems to be the bargaining tool of choice with the RMT? Is it because
they know if they argued their case out it would show it up to be the
slim pickings it really is?

B2003

Old June 18th 07, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes
On 18 Jun, 14:59, "clyde dempster"
wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message

oups.com...

Theres a report in Metro (page 25) that the RMT - aka Bob Crow Inc -
is considing a strike ballot on the tube over pensions. Looks like
they've found a new topic to whinge about after they've flogged the
drivers pay and conditions argument to death.

B2003

There pension is not worth fighting for ???

Why now and not 5 , 10 , 15 years ago? And how come strike action
seems to be the bargaining tool of choice with the RMT? Is it because
they know if they argued their case out it would show it up to be the
slim pickings it really is?

Because...

LU have recently changed the rules. In the past, if an employee was
medically retired they would receive a full LU pension from the date of
the enforced retirement. LU (actually I think it's TfL) in their
infinite wisdom have now decreed that if a medically retired employee
goes on to find some other paid employment they will forfeit these
pension rights until normal retirement age.

This mainly affects drivers who have to have a very high standard of
health to continue in their role, with regular medical check-ups. So a
driver who has been forced to retire now cannot take on a job as say, a
storeperson as they will lose their LU pension.

If that were me, I would much rather be out working at a possibly lesser
paid job than vegetating at home all day but would be reluctant to take
on another job as that would make me worse off.