Old June 27th 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default seeing the other's view

In article .com,
says...

Although railfreight has been growing for the last ten years mainly
due to the failure of the road system to deliver reliability. ASDA,
Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys have been turning to rail increasingly
for the long stuff.

Wrong.

EDDIE STOBART who runs the warehousing at either end on behalf of the
above has turned to railfreight because Stobarts have their own
railheads and goods trains. Sending loads to Scotch by rail allows
Stobarts to free up lorries to go do other work such as the new Tesco
white goods RDC they're opening up at Goole.

Believe me, lorry journeys haven't been reduced by Stobarts putting
stuff onto rail.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old June 27th 07, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Conor wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Although railfreight has been growing for the last ten years mainly
due to the failure of the road system to deliver reliability. ASDA,
Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys have been turning to rail increasingly
for the long stuff.

Wrong.

EDDIE STOBART who runs the warehousing at either end on behalf of the
above has turned to railfreight because Stobarts have their own
railheads and goods trains. Sending loads to Scotch by rail allows
Stobarts to free up lorries to go do other work such as the new Tesco
white goods RDC they're opening up at Goole.

Believe me, lorry journeys haven't been reduced by Stobarts putting
stuff onto rail.

Er, what? If they hadn't put that stuff on rail, they would have had to
buy more lorries for this RDC thing etc. It's not a reduction, but it is a
smaller increase!

tom

--
Science is bound, by the everlasting vow of honour, to face fearlessly
every problem which can be fairly presented to it. -- Lord Kelvin
Old June 27th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
[...]

Hardly. Still needs to go on a lorry at either end.

--
Conor

Old June 28th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

[...]

Again - er, what? Are you telling me going from a 300 mile lorry journey
to a 280 mile rail journey and two 10 mile truck journeys isn't a
reduction?

tom

--
Interesting, but possibly aimed at madmen. -- Charlie Brooker, on
Torchwood
Old June 28th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as
against 1 driver and 1 truck.

Old June 28th 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

NM wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Only for that specific journey. Instead of the lorry doing the whole trip
it's doing work which would have needed additional vehicle/s to do.

Old June 28th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as
against 1 driver and 1 truck.

Lets say 20 lorries

300 miles takes 6 hours for this

10 miles takes 1/2 hour

20 hours lorry driving
4 hours train driving

or

120 hours lorry drivng

This does not include handing

Old June 28th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Martin wrote:
It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as
against 1 driver and 1 truck.

Lets say 20 lorries

300 miles takes 6 hours for this

10 miles takes 1/2 hour

20 hours lorry driving
4 hours train driving

or

120 hours lorry drivng

This does not include handing

This does not compute, care to expand it into something comprehensible.
Old June 29th 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , Martin says...
It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as
against 1 driver and 1 truck.

Lets say 20 lorries

300 miles takes 6 hours for this

10 miles takes 1/2 hour

20 hours lorry driving
4 hours train driving

or

120 hours lorry drivng

This does not include handing

Which is several hours at each railhead as opposed to an hour at each
end for a lorry.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old June 28th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, NM wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Conor wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Conor wrote:

Believe me, lorry journeys haven't been reduced by Stobarts putting
stuff onto rail.

Er, what? If they hadn't put that stuff on rail, they would have had
to buy more lorries for this RDC thing etc. It's not a reduction, but
it is a smaller increase!

Hardly. Still needs to go on a lorry at either end.

Again - er, what? Are you telling me going from a 300 mile lorry journey to
a 280 mile rail journey and two 10 mile truck journeys isn't a reduction?

It's an increase, minimum 3 drivers minimum 2 lorries and a train, as against
1 driver and 1 truck.

I was going to moan about these threads we have crossposted to
urd/uk.transport, because they basically act as a mechanism for the rapid
delivery of retards to my inbox. However, i'm now managing to look at it
from a lighter angle - this stuff is comedy gold!

tom

--
Biochemistry is the study of carbon compounds that wriggle.

Still can't get used to seeing trains with pantographs at Shortlands Rupert Candy[_3_] London Transport 13 March 24th 09 03:57 PM
Best place to view A1 Tornado other than Kings Cross Martin J London Transport 2 February 7th 09 04:31 PM
enjoy seeing ranam London Transport 0 August 6th 08 12:09 PM
ENJOY SEEING PICTURES ranam London Transport 0 August 5th 08 11:00 AM
ADV: Drivers Eye View Videos Ben Nunn London Transport 0 May 16th 04 10:20 PM