Old June 26th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default seeing the other's view

What about the vast majority of the time when they are undercut by an
industry working within the law using well maintained lorries (as any
successful haulier needs to do to remain in business). If rail was so
good then the business would flow it's way

.... well safety never was a good selling point.

but in spite of massive
subsidies rail doen't even enter the picture,

.... no subsidy for railfreight.

possibly 1950's mentality,
lack of flexability and **** poor customer satisfaction can be the root
causes of their ineptitude.

.... maybe a complete highway network provided at a cost way beyond
anything HGV taxes run to has something to do with it.

Although railfreight has been growing for the last ten years mainly
due to the failure of the road system to deliver reliability. ASDA,
Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys have been turning to rail increasingly
for the long stuff.

In fact, the only major loss of custom has been the Post Office even
then not to road but air. Mind you we all know, judging by the balance
sheet, that Post Office management have been well away on the funny
stuff for some time now.

Old June 26th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:

Railborne freight receives no subsidy, unlike lorries.

Where exactly do I apply for my lorry subsidy?

It's provided automatically, without application.

In your mind perhaps, dream on, don't let reality get in the way.

You've obviously forgotton about the rate of VED on lorries when the present
government came into power and what it is now?

Old June 26th 07, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"NM" wrote in message
Railborne freight receives no subsidy, unlike lorries.
Where exactly do I apply for my lorry subsidy?

Go sniff the hard shoulder because that's about as much as your taxes
run to.

Utter crap.

Good to see that 1950s mentality is still in full slow.

Old June 26th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Brimstone wrote:
"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:

Railborne freight receives no subsidy, unlike lorries.

Where exactly do I apply for my lorry subsidy?
It's provided automatically, without application.

In your mind perhaps, dream on, don't let reality get in the way.

You've obviously forgotton about the rate of VED on lorries when the present
government came into power and what it is now?

No I havn't, I just realise thet the total amount collected by ved and
fuel tax is more than three times the amount spent on the roads. If my
truck is being subsidised where are the funds coming from, because it
isn't central government?
Old June 26th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:11:44 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

So how would you see urban deliveries? A rail head at every
supermarket and high street perhaps?

Why not?

Completely unrealistic. However, there may be some mileage in using a
larger number of smaller vehicles for local distribution, be that from
rail or road.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old June 26th 07, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

wrote:
What about the vast majority of the time when they are undercut by an
industry working within the law using well maintained lorries (as any
successful haulier needs to do to remain in business). If rail was so
good then the business would flow it's way

... well safety never was a good selling point.

but in spite of massive
subsidies rail doen't even enter the picture,

... no subsidy for railfreight.

possibly 1950's mentality,
lack of flexability and **** poor customer satisfaction can be the root
causes of their ineptitude.

... maybe a complete highway network provided at a cost way beyond
anything HGV taxes run to has something to do with it.

Utter bollox. I await the day all the road generated taxes are actually
spent on the road network, if this ever occured we would have a system
second to none, instead the surplus is frittered away on bottomless pits
like the national trainset.

Although railfreight has been growing for the last ten years mainly
due to the failure of the road system to deliver reliability. ASDA,
Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys have been turning to rail increasingly
for the long stuff.

Dream on, they send a tiny amount by rail for the PR value. The
reliability of the road system is not an issue especially now with "just
in time" delivery systems. Been working for decades and improving with
time.

In fact, the only major loss of custom has been the Post Office even
then not to road but air. Mind you we all know, judging by the balance
sheet, that Post Office management have been well away on the funny
stuff for some time now.

I agree with the last bit, any business that has a permanant queue of
customers as long as it's open then still can't make a profit is doing
something badly wrong. The loss to air carriers is just failure to
adapt, bit like the railways really.

Old June 26th 07, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
"NM" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:

Railborne freight receives no subsidy, unlike lorries.

Where exactly do I apply for my lorry subsidy?
It's provided automatically, without application.
In your mind perhaps, dream on, don't let reality get in the way.

You've obviously forgotton about the rate of VED on lorries when the
present government came into power and what it is now?

No I havn't, I just realise thet the total amount collected by ved and
fuel tax is more than three times the amount spent on the roads.

Which fluctuates according to the number of vehicle in use on the road and
may go down as well as up. Until late 2006 Fuel Duty had not been increased
for about three years thus giving a reduction.

If my truck is being subsidised where are the funds coming from, because
it isn't central government?

Evidence?

Old June 26th 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:31:49 +0100,
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

About time too!! It's not just cyclists who can benefit from this
opportunity, other road users should take the chance to have a look.

A good suggestion, but I think that drivers of motor vehicles fitted
with mirrors are *mostly* already aware of the concept of "blind
spots", etc. The worst risk to cyclists occurs whilst undertaking a
left-turning lorry. If the decision to turn left is made late, the
undertaking cyclist may not be in a position to see when the lorry's
indicators are switched on (all the more reason not to undertake, of
course).

And sometimes large vehicles don't signal at all despite their road
positioning suggesting they're not turning.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/bus/bus.mpg

and if you want to view it frame by frame then it's at
http://www.woodall.me.uk/bus/

Unfortuately, I forgot to charge the batteries in my camera last night
otherwise today I'd have had a video of a bus making the same turn from
the LH lane today.

(If you watch carefully you can see that I do actually slow down and
wait behind the bus before it starts to move - I know that a lot of
buses turn here and I wasn't surprised that this one did)

And here is a classic left hook from a car
http://www.woodall.me.uk/journey/20070604/

Sorry, I don't have an mpg for that one.

Tim.

and there was light.

Old June 26th 07, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"NM" wrote in message
What about the vast majority of the time when they are undercut by an
industry working within the law using well maintained lorries (as any
successful haulier needs to do to remain in business). If rail was so
good then the business would flow it's way

... well safety never was a good selling point.

but in spite of massive
subsidies rail doen't even enter the picture,

... no subsidy for railfreight.

possibly 1950's mentality,
lack of flexability and **** poor customer satisfaction can be the root
causes of their ineptitude.

... maybe a complete highway network provided at a cost way beyond
anything HGV taxes run to has something to do with it.

Utter bollox. I await the day all the road generated taxes are actually
spent on the road network,

Perhaps you should look at the cost of building the motorway and trunk road
network and the revenue from vehicles that were on the road at the time.

[...]

Say he, still putting his faith in a vehicle that hasn't changed
substantially for eighty or so years.

Still can't get used to seeing trains with pantographs at Shortlands Rupert Candy[_3_] London Transport 13 March 24th 09 03:57 PM
Best place to view A1 Tornado other than Kings Cross Martin J London Transport 2 February 7th 09 04:31 PM
enjoy seeing ranam London Transport 0 August 6th 08 12:09 PM
ENJOY SEEING PICTURES ranam London Transport 0 August 5th 08 11:00 AM
ADV: Drivers Eye View Videos Ben Nunn London Transport 0 May 16th 04 10:20 PM