Old July 6th 07, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

paul wrote in response to the question:
Would this mean that Euston loses the DC service, or will the
infrastructure be able to cope with the current EUS-WAT services, as
well as services through Primrose Hill etc.?

I think the various bits of TfL info on the www suggests there will be no
service into Euston on the DC lines - whether or not the third rail is
retained for diversions etc is another question of course.

Diverting the Watford LNWR DC lines to the Bakerloo will increase
capacity by using 7(albeit tube gauge) cars on the Watford London
corridor as opposed the 313/508 3 and 6 car mix For existing
passengers to Euston and beyond - changes at Baker Street for existing
Circle/Metroplitan transit passengers and Oxford Circus or Green Park
for almost every other tube interchange.

Paths will be freed from Camden Junction to Euston and then rebuilding
Euston platforms 9 and 10 in line with the overall rebuilding the
station could take place. The probable result would be fewer but
longer platforms at Euston more suited to 12 car outer surburban or
Pendolino operation.

NLL Termination on platform 1 at Queens Park in the southbound morning
peak to platform 4 in the northbound evening peak to facilitate cross
platforminterchange needs a facing crossover south of Queens Park but
personally I think non conflicting termination at Willesden DC bay
platform 2 is a better option - filling in the vacant space to allow
access/egress from both sides ala White City is better.

Old July 6th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Terminating at WJ LL also allows those who got on the wrong train at
stations east of Camden Rd to recover the situation!

Is terminating at Queens Park to allow a full Bakerloo service beyond, as
currently a proportion of Bakerloo trains terminate there?

Paul

Old July 6th 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 6, 6:39 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Terminating at WJ LL also allows those who got on the wrong train at
stations east of Camden Rd to recover the situation!

Is terminating at Queens Park to allow a full Bakerloo service beyond, as currently a proportion of Bakerloo trains terminate there?

Can't remember where I read it but AIUI yes - there will be a full
peak hour Bakerloo Service north of Oueens Park. Queens Park will
provide
flexibility to stable offpeak and enable short turn back runs to meet
inner London traffic requirements - ala Willesden Green/ Whitecity/
Liverpool Street etc. Again new stock on the Bakerloo will be
necessary to effect the change.

Old July 8th 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
. uk...
Doesn't SDO require the guard and driver to be able to get out onto the
platform, so having the front car off the platform may not be an
acceptable solution even if the signal could be moved.

I was under the impression that they were planning to get rid of guards
on the NLL. Although that wouldn't help the driver, might certaintly
help.

I'm guessing rules on LU are different, as there's a station on the
Northern Line IIRC where the front set of doors are not opened.

I think the key thing is that new operations have to conform to current
rules. I think the end door stuff on the Northern line goes back quite a
while. Is the cab beyond the platform end, or is their one of those narrow
walkways for the driver, beyond the public area of the platform?

IIRC this is Leicester Square or Charing Cross.
"On arrival at the next station, the first set of doors in the first
carriage will not open. Passengers in the First carriage should move to the
rear of the train in order to leave" (or something like that!).
This operates in both directions and I think the platforms are simply too
narrow at that point, there being some structure on the platform.
As these are the doors closest to the drivers cab it isn't too hard for them
to look out and check. Not only that but the actual required stopping point
is clearly marked on the tunnel wall.

Nick

Old July 8th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
JL JL is offline

On 8 Jul, 19:46, "Nick Pedley"
wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
[...]

I thought it was the rear 2 doors in the final car? Possibly both..

Old July 9th 07, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 8, 8:41 pm, JL wrote:
On 8 Jul, 19:46, "Nick Pedley"

wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
[...]

I thought it was the rear 2 doors in the final car? Possibly both..- Hide quoted text -

In the rush hour it is physically impossible to get out at Charing
Cross if you forgetfully get on at the back going south.

I have been caught out more than once and had to go on to Waterloo
instead. I don't think it's necessary, since the last doors are well
within the platform.

In the case of the two young tourists with cases who found themselves
trapped on one of those occasions (and behind whom I was therefore
trapped), forgetfulness doesn't come into it, and it's another great
welcome to London.

Old July 11th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:08:46 +0100, asdf
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:00:54 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what signaling problems would affect the use
of SDO, such as not releasing the doors in the rear coach?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will only hold
three cars.

...in the eastbound direction. The westbound platform is long enough
for 4 cars.

Looking at the real station rather than Quail, the westbound platform
holds about 3.5 coaches (313 length) and then the front of the train
would be beyond the (down) signal. So lengthening the platform will
be necessary.

Incidentally it looks as though the eastbound platform was originally
about the same length, extending on to the DC line bridge, but has
since been shortened.

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??
--
Peter Lawrence
Old July 11th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

Weren't 501s 3-car sets? After them, there was a period when 2EPBs were
used, but AFAIK they were only used as 2-car trains on the NLL. 6-car 501s
were used on the Broad Street - Watford Junction route, but they used
Willesden Junction New, not HL.

Peter

Old July 11th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

The 501s were also three-car sets. There were, of course, the 2-car 2-EPBs
(class 416) in the interim - I don't remember any booked four car formations
BICBW.

Old July 11th 07, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:18:34 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

Weren't 501s 3-car sets? After them, there was a period when 2EPBs were
used, but AFAIK they were only used as 2-car trains on the NLL. 6-car 501s
were used on the Broad Street - Watford Junction route, but they used
Willesden Junction New, not HL.

501s were 3-coach sets of "sawn-off" 57ft stock as were their LMS
predecessors (and the original LNWR stock?).