Old July 16th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default MAJOR Disruption at Slough on FGW

On 15 Jul, 23:56, Dave A wrote:

Mayhem at Reading with various London services standing in the
platforms, a queueing system in operation for Waterloo trains, but
little in the way of announcements other than a scrawled noticeboard
next to the (empty) information desk.

I tried to get on a Railair coach to Heathrow which was about to depart
but my ticket (London Terminals) was rejected ("we don't get any revenue
from that") so I went off and bought another ticket and then waited for
the next coach 30 mins later, boarded with about two other passengers,
and then trundled into London by Tube from Heathrow.

You might have done better to get a Basingstoke service and change
there for Waterloo - SWT are normally very good about accepting off-
route tickets in the event of disruption.

Steve Adams

Old July 16th 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

CJB wrote:
Most trains delayed by hours or cancelled to/from Paddington and
points west of Slough. FGW services in complete disarray. Been going
on on most of Sunday afternoon, evening. BUT few announcements at
intermediate stations, cancellations at short notice despite birng
planned many hours in advance, and NO buses subsituted round the
blockage. Typical reponse of a company that doesn't give a st*ff about
its long suffering paying pax. HEX and Connet apparently running to/
from LHR OK. CJB.

Tried to get on the 1607 to Patchway, but it was packed and couldn't get
on. Managed to get a table of 4 for my group of 4 in First Class on the
1627, which left at 1727. Train Manager announced it would be the 1727
to Weston-super-Mare, but was also the 1427 running 3 hours late!

First stop was Slough where some people got off. We were stood there for
about 20 mins, and were all told we could "stretch our legs." We pulled
to the next signal where a NR man was doing handsignals. We sat here for
over 5 mins whilst he and the driver exchanged a sheet of paper. Seems
like a lot of work they do here - what exactly is it for?

We then proceeded at about 15mph (so the TM said) to Twyford where we
stopped to allow people to alight. Train thinned out at Reading and
proceeded normally to Temple Meads where we arrived 2020. The bus to
Parkway wasn't for another half hour so they gave me a taxi voucher.

Got back to Parkway over 2 hours late, which, according to the FGW
Passenger Charter means I'm entitled to a 100% refund of my return
ticket. £169 coming my way!
Old July 16th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mojo" wrote

First stop was Slough where some people got off. We were stood there for
about 20 mins, and were all told we could "stretch our legs." We pulled
to the next signal where a NR man was doing handsignals. We sat here for
over 5 mins whilst he and the driver exchanged a sheet of paper. Seems
like a lot of work they do here - what exactly is it for?

We then proceeded at about 15mph (so the TM said) to Twyford where we
stopped to allow people to alight.

It sounds as though temporary block working was in place from Slough to
Twyford or Reading. This rule book module explains what the signaller would
have to do before allowing any movements.
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/docushare...l-37709/S5.pdf
He'd then have to clear trains trapped in the area where the signals had
failed, probably calling them on signal by signal. By the time you travelled
temporary block working was in place. Your train had to wait at Slough until
the previous train had cleared the affected area. The handsignalman would
then have had to explain to your driver how far he was being given authority
to travel, and issue him with a temporary block working ticket. This has to
be given up at the end of the affected section. It seems that the permitted
speed is 50 mph, with restrictions to 15 mph over the facing points at
Maidenhead (East) and Twyford (Ruscombe).

Peter

Old July 16th 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Jul, 11:53, Steve wrote:
On 15 Jul, 23:56, Dave A wrote:

Mayhem at Reading with various London services standing in the
platforms, a queueing system in operation for Waterloo trains, but
little in the way of announcements other than a scrawled noticeboard
next to the (empty) information desk.

I tried to get on a Railair coach to Heathrow which was about to depart
but my ticket (London Terminals) was rejected ("we don't get any revenue
from that") so I went off and bought another ticket and then waited for
the next coach 30 mins later, boarded with about two other passengers,
and then trundled into London by Tube from Heathrow.

You might have done better to get a Basingstoke service and change
there for Waterloo - SWT are normally very good about accepting off-
route tickets in the event of disruption.

Steve Adams

It probably didn't help that Reading to Waterloo trains were diverted
via Weybridge on Sunday and according to the plan were only running
one an hour.

Whenever there is a problem between Reading and Paddington, passengers
are always funnelled to the line via Staines when often the routes via
Basingstoke and Guildford (even walking North Camp - Ash Vale)offer as
quick and generally more comfortable a journey into Waterloo.
Similarly it is all very well saying SWT will accept FGW tickets into
Waterloo - in most cases (not AP), that's no big gesture since they do
anyway.

FGW should do more (i.e. run extra/longer trains) to feed passengers
to Basingstoke or Guildford in the all too frequent case of disruption
just as they seem to expect SWT to increase their service via Staines
to Waterloo.

Jonathan

Old July 16th 07, 05:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 10:45:16 on Mon, 16 Jul
2007, Roland Perry remarked:
I suppose FGW are having trouble getting enough rolling stock down here
yet.

VXC not 100% together, either. Train pretty full and two different ladies
both have a reservation for the seat opposite me (verified by the staff),
reservation displays not working (nor are scrolling displays over the
doors) and they are using the traditional printed seat back labels. No
at-seat service in 1st, with passengers asked to go to the shop and show
their FC ticket.

Oh, and I have a wonderful view (not) through a beige pillar, just the
same as on Voyager the way down - do they deliberately give those seats to
people with really cheap tickets?

Perhaps they have a computer that can correlate critical usenet posters with
AP ticket requests?

Paul

Old July 17th 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mojo" wrote in message
k...
CJB wrote:
[...]

Presumably FGW had a special timetable this Sunday then? Do long-distance
trains leave at xx07 and xx27? Did your HST stop at every station en-route
such as Twyford and Didcot?

Old July 17th 07, 02:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Toby" wrote

Presumably FGW had a special timetable this Sunday then? Do long-distance
trains leave at xx07 and xx27?

FGW seems to have a special timetable evry Sunday. Currently (until 22 July)
Sunday long distance departures from Paddington a
xx07 Bristol TM
xx12 Cheltenham (even hours 1212 - 1812)
xx27 Swansea
xx42 Worcester (some to Gt Malvern or Hereford)
xx57 Plymouth or beyond

Peter

Old July 17th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
JP JP is offline

On 16 Jul, 14:00, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mojo" wrote

[...]

Correct, there was a total loss of power to signalling which also
affected the CIS (takes it's cue from the signals) and the block
working was introduced. The most that could be safely fitted in was an
hourly stopping shuttle service using Turbos.

Old July 18th 07, 06:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message .com, at
13:38:19 on Tue, 17 Jul 2007, JP
remarked:
Correct, there was a total loss of power to signalling which also
affected the CIS (takes it's cue from the signals) and the block
working was introduced.

Caused by lightning, cable theft, or something else?
Old July 18th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

FGW seems to have a special timetable evry Sunday. Currently (until 22 July)
Sunday long distance departures from Paddington a
xx07 Bristol TM
xx12 Cheltenham (even hours 1212 - 1812)
xx27 Swansea

Interesting. My train, the xx27 was the Temple Meads service (the 1727
which actually left was supposed to be for Weston-super-Mare, but was
terminated at Temple Meads with a transfer to local services.

We stopped at Slough, Twyford, Reading, Didcot P/way, Swindon,
Chippenham, Bath Spa & Bristol Temple Meads. It was announced as
"possibly" stopping Nailsea/Backwell & Yatton, but didn't get past Temple M.