Old August 20th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Maze at Bank?

When I travel occasionally from Liverpool St to Waterloo I always walk
to Bank and use the Drain, but with other trips I've found that Bank is
a maze especially at W/Es when some bits are closed.
Getting to/from DLR seems a particular problem, is there a 'plan'
available, or would I just be better off using Central Line to Bank for
any interchange?

Jim Chisholm

Old August 20th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

J. Chisholm wrote:
When I travel occasionally from Liverpool St to Waterloo I always walk
to Bank and use the Drain, but with other trips I've found that Bank is
a maze especially at W/Es when some bits are closed.
Getting to/from DLR seems a particular problem, is there a 'plan'
available, or would I just be better off using Central Line to Bank for
any interchange?

There's http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/ltbank.gif
and http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/ltmonu.jpg.
Not sure how much those help.

What I'd really like are a list of all the exits so I can better plan
exits to the street.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old August 20th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"J. Chisholm" wrote in message
When I travel occasionally from Liverpool St to Waterloo I always walk to
Bank and use the Drain, but with other trips I've found that Bank is a
maze especially at W/Es when some bits are closed.
Getting to/from DLR seems a particular problem, is there a 'plan'
available, or would I just be better off using Central Line to Bank for
any interchange?

On Saturdays:

From Liverpool Street:

Goto east end of Westbound Central ( the end furthest from the platform
entrance). When you arrive at Bank use the escalator way out, go through the
barriers in front of you and down the slope to the Waterloo and City line
travelators.

Weekend access to DLR at Bank:

Use the spiral stairs in the middle of the Central line platforms, head
towards the Northern line, but before you get to the stairs down to the
Northern, do a right and left and down the escalators

or

Use the stairs towards the west end of the Central line platforms, up, then
down, and down two sets of escalators.

Neither option is particuarly easy with bulky luggage, etc

Old August 20th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

What I'd really like are a list of all the exits so I can better plan
exits to the street.

Are you after just the street exits from Bank Central and Northern ticket
halls and Waterloo and City line? I should be able to remember most,
although it's been over 10 years since I worked there and some things have
changed, i.e. the entrance to the shopping centre on the corner of
Cheapside. How would you like it, as an ascii plan?

Old August 20th 07, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin Mayes wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

What I'd really like are a list of all the exits so I can better plan
exits to the street.

Are you after just the street exits from Bank Central and Northern ticket
halls and Waterloo and City line? I should be able to remember most,
although it's been over 10 years since I worked there and some things have
changed, i.e. the entrance to the shopping centre on the corner of
Cheapside. How would you like it, as an ascii plan?

I wouldn't want you to go to too much trouble. I occasionally need to go
from the southbound Northern Line platform at Bank tube station to
Mansion House tube station. Do you know the best way to do so?
--
Michael Hoffman

Old August 20th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Aug, 12:39, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Robin Mayes wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

What I'd really like are a list of all the exits so I can better plan
exits to the street.

Are you after just the street exits from Bank Central and Northern ticket
halls and Waterloo and City line? I should be able to remember most,
although it's been over 10 years since I worked there and some things have
changed, i.e. the entrance to the shopping centre on the corner of
Cheapside. How would you like it, as an ascii plan?

I wouldn't want you to go to too much trouble. I occasionally need to go
from the southbound Northern Line platform at Bank tube station to
Mansion House tube station. Do you know the best way to do so?

In addition to the other entirely valid suggestions, you could simply
turn right when you get off a southbound Northern line train and go up
the escalator. Follow the passageway and take the second(*) flight of
steps. This brings you to the westbound Circle/District line platform.
From there it's two stops to Mansion House.

If you're coming from King's Cross then get on the train at the very
front (i.e. don't walk down the platform at KX).

PaulO

(*) The first flight of steps, signposted "way out" will take you up
to the Eastbound platform.

Old August 20th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Aug, 10:08, "J. Chisholm" wrote:
When I travel occasionally from Liverpool St to Waterloo I always walk
to Bank and use the Drain, but with other trips I've found that Bank is
a maze especially at W/Es when some bits are closed.
Getting to/from DLR seems a particular problem, is there a 'plan'
available, or would I just be better off using Central Line to Bank for
any interchange?

If you're coming from the West Anglia line (and I think you are) you
could also change at Tottenham Hale and Oxford Circus. (Two escalators
at the former, cross-platform interchange at the latter). Less
interesting and healthy than a stroll through the City but probably
easier with luggage.

PaulO

Old August 20th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 20, 10:08 am, "J. Chisholm" wrote:
When I travel occasionally from Liverpool St to Waterloo I always walk
to Bank and use the Drain, but with other trips I've found that Bank is
a maze especially at W/Es when some bits are closed.
Getting to/from DLR seems a particular problem, is there a 'plan'
available, or would I just be better off using Central Line to Bank for
any interchange?

If there was a plan that made it clear, everyone would realise how far
out of their way they go when they obediently follow the signposting.
Presumably if everyone went the most direct way, certain passageways
would become overcrowded but, knowing the layout a little bit, I'm
b*ggered if I'm going to walk up a flight of stairs to get from the
Central to the DLR, which is far below.

Old August 20th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:08:19 +0100, "J. Chisholm"
wrote:

When I travel occasionally from Liverpool St to Waterloo I always walk
to Bank and use the Drain, but with other trips I've found that Bank is
a maze especially at W/Es when some bits are closed.

Personally I would use the 26 bus - especially at weekends when traffic
in the City is relatively light. The only thing to watch for are planned
diversions but the TfL website provides advance warnings of such.

--
Paul C

Central London to/from Greenwich/Maze Hill after 2018 [email protected] London Transport 0 February 15th 13 05:59 AM
Bank bodies webmaster London Transport 6 August 30th 04 11:39 AM
Oyster at Bank Matthew London Transport 26 July 17th 04 07:33 PM
Morden via the Bank Clive D. W. Feather London Transport 5 January 13th 04 04:30 PM
Getting from Finchley to Bank with no Northern Line Andy Coleman London Transport 5 October 23rd 03 07:43 PM