Old September 26th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Maps, with some observations and some questions

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Mr Thant wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

But John Band said there were 16 trains doing GN - Broad Street in the
peaks! That's probably 8 tph, which seems decent. Now, that was from
the GN to the Canonbury Curve (well, the bit north of the curve proper
- the Canonbury Straight?), but all it would take is a pair of
crossovers south of the junction with the mainline to get those trains
onto the GN&CR.

The GN&CR is in a deep cutting at this point, presumably deep enough to
go under the Canonbury Curve tracks to reach the old deep-level station.
Building a connection would have been (and apparently was) a major
project.

Aaaah, okay. So the original Drayton Park on the GN&CR was at the bottom
of a cutting, with tubes at either end going to Moorgate and Finsbury
Park. Yes, that stitches it up pretty tight!

tom

--
There's no future.

Old September 26th 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 05:56:38PM +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

I've just noticed that there was also a canal running from Chelsea Bridge
to Victoria. Shame that's not still there, it could be rather nice.

Nah, it would be full of empty beer cans, shopping trolleys, sofas and
cars :-)

I believe it's the outflow from the Serpentine, the lakes in Buck House
gardens, and those in St James's Park. It's still there, just underground.
The last bit of it to be still visible was built over in the last couple
of years.

Perl: the only language that makes Welsh look acceptable
Old September 26th 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 26, 12:32 pm, David Cantrell wrote:
I believe it's the outflow from the Serpentine, the lakes in Buck House
gardens, and those in St James's Park. It's still there, just underground.
The last bit of it to be still visible was built over in the last couple
of years.

No, that's the River Westbourne a bit further west (on-topicly enough,
through Sloane Square tube station). The Grosvenor Canal was just a
canal, the route of which was used for the tracks to Victoria station.
But yes, it has all been built on now apart from a very small basin by
the Thames.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London