Old September 26th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lack of available trains

This wonderful phrase is currently being applied to the Circle,
District and H&C non-service. Does anyone know why?

MaxB

Old September 26th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Sep, 19:40, MaxB wrote:
This wonderful phrase is currently being applied to the Circle,
District and H&C non-service. Does anyone know why?

At a guess, something trivially minor has happened to one of the C-
stock trains that operates the Circle, H&C and relevant (Wimbleware)
bits of the District line, and so the drivers have decided to give
themselves an evening off by refusing to drive any C-stocks anywhere
until Saint Bob has proclaimed them Officially Safe.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old September 26th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Alleged defective dead man's handles (able to be reset in a "motoring"
position after operation instead of "off & release"). Oh and it's an
ASLEF initiative instead of RMT this time. No doubt LU will be happy
for Metronet SSL to carry the can....

Old September 26th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MaxB" wrote in message
ups.com...
This wonderful phrase is currently being applied to the Circle,
District and H&C non-service. Does anyone know why?

Did they really say that?

Surely it's a tautology. The trains are unavailable because
there is a lack of them.

tim

Old September 26th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim..... wrote:
"MaxB" wrote in message
ups.com...
This wonderful phrase is currently being applied to the Circle,
District and H&C non-service. Does anyone know why?

Did they really say that?

Surely it's a tautology. The trains are unavailable because
there is a lack of them.

I think you are confused. There is no lack of trains, but there is a
severe lack of trains that are available for service. The trains are
unavailable because of an alleged safety-related defect. "Lack of
available trains" seems to me to be a perfectly clear non-tautological
phrase.

--
Richard J.

Old September 27th 07, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
tim..... wrote:
"MaxB" wrote in message
ups.com...
This wonderful phrase is currently being applied to the Circle,
District and H&C non-service. Does anyone know why?

Did they really say that?

Surely it's a tautology. The trains are unavailable because
there is a lack of them.

I think you are confused. There is no lack of trains, but there is a
severe lack of trains that are available for service. The trains are
unavailable because of an alleged safety-related defect. "Lack of
available trains" seems to me to be a perfectly clear non-tautological
phrase.

--
Richard J.

The best announcements I've heard whilst waiting for a Circle line train for
some time at Edgware Rd were "we cannot find the driver" and "the driver
hasn't finished his tea break" Full support for the finishing tea break
driver
I got so fed up I switched to getting the Bakerloo line to and from
Paddington

Old September 27th 07, 02:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 26, 10:14 pm, wrote:
Alleged defective dead man's handles (able to be reset in a "motoring"
position after operation instead of "off & release"). Oh and it's an
ASLEF initiative instead of RMT this time. No doubt LU will be happy
for Metronet SSL to carry the can....

From the BBC: "Safety fears halt Tube services"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7015423.stm

Just when I visit the place for the first time in several years...
what surprises will today bring?

Ian the Penguin

Old September 27th 07, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:13:52 -0700, wrote:

Just when I visit the place for the first time in several years...
what surprises will today bring?

No service at all on the Wimbleware, Circle or Hammersmith and ****ty,
if the BBC is anything to go by.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old September 27th 07, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Sep, 21:14, wrote:
Alleged defective dead man's handles (able to be reset in a "motoring"
position after operation instead of "off & release"). Oh and it's an
ASLEF initiative instead of RMT this time. No doubt LU will be happy
for Metronet SSL to carry the can....

....although RMT are also involved according to the BBC article, and St
Bob is the rentaquote speaker.

If, as it sounds, the defect in question doesn't prevent the DMH from
operating (i.e. your asleep/dead driver will still let go of it and
the train will still stop), how does this have even the pretence of a
safety issue?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old September 27th 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nicola Redwood wrote:

The best announcements I've heard whilst waiting for a Circle line train for
some time at Edgware Rd were "we cannot find the driver" and "the driver
hasn't finished his tea break" Full support for the finishing tea break
driver

I have heard exactly that too. When the driver arrived there was another
announcement, first: "Driver, your train is on platform 3" (or whichever
platform it was) and then something like "No, not that one driver, YOUR
train is on platform 3". The train eventually left Edgware Road, as a
Circle Line train with the text "Hammersmith" in the front...

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451