Old October 4th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Drain is s***

Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
Q wrote:

Yep Platform 7 is at the Bank end - its the left hand platform.
(Which we left from again this morning. I have never looked, but I
presume the other platforms at Bank are something like Central
line is 1&2, with the other end of the complex having 3,4,5&6 I'm
sure someone on here will know for certain. I only ever use the
Bank end of the complex and don't pay attention to platform
numbers normally.

Central Line platforms are 1 and 2, Northern Line are 3 (SB) and 4
(NB) and DLR platforms are 9 and 10 for departures and arrivals
respectively. 7 and 8 are Waterloo & City Line as you say and IIRC
5 and 6 are the Circle/District Line platforms at Monument Station.

I think you have the District and Central swapped. According to CULG (
www.davros.org/rail/culg ), the platforms at Bank/Monument are numbered
as follows:

1,2 District line (Monument)
3,4 Northern line
5,6 Central line
7,8 Waterloo & City line
9,10 DLR

By the way, Clive says that the W&C platforms at Waterloo are numbered
25 and 26, which continues the sequence of main-line platforms (1-19
SWT, 20-24 Eurostar), reflecting the former ownership of the W&C prior
to 1994 when it transferred from BR to LU.
--
Richard J.

Old October 4th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 4, 11:39 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

oups.com...

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

Are they the customers who have a paper travelcard in a plastic wallet and
can't be ar**ed to remove it to pass it through the ticket gate. I think a
few of them come from Basingstoke...

Paul

I keep my ticket in my wallet and have been buying weeklys, but I do
take the ticket out for the machines!

I just decided to "upgrade" to a monthly Oyster trqavelcard, the first
time I've bought a travelcard on Oyster. A quick question .. if I
don't touch out at Waterloo, having touched in at Bank, there is no
fine or anything is there? Same with National Rail, if the gates at
home are wide open, so I still have to touch out?

Thanks

Old October 4th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 4, 3:31 pm, elyob wrote:
On Oct 4, 11:39 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"elyob" wrote in message

roups.com...

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

Are they the customers who have a paper travelcard in a plastic wallet and
can't be ar**ed to remove it to pass it through the ticket gate. I think a
few of them come from Basingstoke...

Paul

I keep my ticket in my wallet and have been buying weeklys, but I do
take the ticket out for the machines!

I just decided to "upgrade" to a monthly Oyster trqavelcard, the first
time I've bought a travelcard on Oyster. A quick question .. if I
don't touch out at Waterloo, having touched in at Bank, there is no
fine or anything is there? Same with National Rail, if the gates at
home are wide open, so I still have to touch out?

Thanks

No worries, just did a deeper search of this group and noticed an
earlier answer ....

" Strictly speaking for Travelcard holders on Oyster you don't have to
touch in and out everywhere *where your ticket is valid*. It does
become
important to touch in and out if you intend to use the PAYG facility
(yes it's still there on your card alongside your travelcard ticket)
auto extend on LU (DLR doesn't count as your ticket zones covers all
of
DLR). The gates will be unable to calculate the extension fare to be
deducted if you do not record entry and exit. "

Old October 4th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 4, 10:01 am, elyob wrote:
On Oct 3, 6:04 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"elyob" wrote in message

roups.com...

Is there any reason as to why the Drain (Waterloo & City) is so
f***ing poor? My last three journeys in the last 36 hours have
incurred a "suspended" line. Wasn't the reason it closed down for five
months in April 06 was to make it reliable? They also have the longest
shut down at night.

Your quite right, and I have asked this question time and time again...

But when it was closed they didn't re-signal, and I'm not sure if the put in
new leeky feeder for the radios.

The last problem I had was a couple of days ago, and that was the tunnel
radio system was down - the result is trains don't run as its not safe...

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

That depends.

We still use both in the mornings, although its more often 7.

The normal gates can be used for paper tickets? I'm not sure I understand
that part. I have a paper gold card and have no problems. What they always
do is switch the exit gates around in the evenings and change which
trav-o-lator if going up. (This is always fun when the far gates are set for
exit and the nearside trav-o-lator is going up.

As for 'inspectors' or revenue staff, the last time I saw them down there
they are always round just inside the tunnel to the central line to catch
them naughty people who don't pay to use the drain, then travel onwards to
another 'open' station.

Well, this just leads onto more questions .... why platform 7? AFAIK
there are two platforms at either end .... where did the other three
appear from to make seven?

What I meant r.e. the paper tickets, is the luggage door should be
opened up on the left for non-oyster tickets. There is such a scrum to
get out, that any extra exit space would be useful. It's happened once
or twice in the last few months, and it should be every day.

What's the timings of the trains in the morning? Is it "once there's
enough people" or is there actually a timetable. Not that it really
matters.

Ta

p.s. all well the last two journeys.

There is a big drive at the moment to keep the manual gate closed
unless it is for a pushchair etc. This is to improve the station's
Fraud Index and passenger numbers, and will be seen at every other LUL
Operated station, subject to staff availability.

Old October 4th 07, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"chunky munky" wrote in message
ups.com...

There is a big drive at the moment to keep the manual gate closed
unless it is for a pushchair etc. This is to improve the station's
Fraud Index and passenger numbers, and will be seen at every other LUL
Operated station, subject to staff availability.

Well given this then can we ask the nice LUL people to not be forever
changing the exit gate configuration and the trav-o-lator config!

Lets have 1 side for in and one for out so pax don't have to cross each
other either at the gateline or the bottom of the 'trav'

Old October 4th 07, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"elyob" wrote in message
ups.com...

No worries, just did a deeper search of this group and noticed an
earlier answer ....

" Strictly speaking for Travelcard holders on Oyster you don't have to
touch in and out everywhere *where your ticket is valid*. It does
become
important to touch in and out if you intend to use the PAYG facility
(yes it's still there on your card alongside your travelcard ticket)
auto extend on LU (DLR doesn't count as your ticket zones covers all
of
DLR). The gates will be unable to calculate the extension fare to be
deducted if you do not record entry and exit. "

Indeed! But as it says its not a bad thing to touch in/out as it may stop a
later problem.

Old October 4th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

Central Line platforms are 1 and 2, Northern Line are 3 (SB) and 4
(NB) and DLR platforms are 9 and 10 for departures and arrivals
respectively. 7 and 8 are Waterloo & City Line as you say and IIRC
5 and 6 are the Circle/District Line platforms at Monument Station.

I think you have the District and Central swapped.

That is right, thanks for correction.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old October 4th 07, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:04:28 +0100, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

Lets have 1 side for in and one for out so pax don't have to cross each
other either at the gateline or the bottom of the 'trav'

On another point, it's always surprised me that despite there being
platforms on both sides of Canary Wharf DLR it isn't enforced as one
side in, one side out.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 4th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 4, 8:31 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:04:28 +0100, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
Lets have 1 side for in and one for out so pax don't have to cross each
other either at the gateline or the bottom of the 'trav'

On another point, it's always surprised me that despite there being
platforms on both sides of Canary Wharf DLR it isn't enforced as one
side in, one side out.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Perhaps because in the morning peak the vast majority of passengers
are getting off, and likewise, mutatis mutandis, in the evening peak?

Old October 10th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Oct, 18:04, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

oups.com...

But when it was closed they didn't re-signal, and I'm not sure if the put in
new leeky feeder for the radios.

While the general layout of the signals was unchanged following the
closure, both signalling equipment rooms were completely rewired
incorporating a number of modifications. I was one of the designers
involved in it and had the (dis)pleasure of drawing a large proportion
of the 150+ page book of circuits for Bank.