Old October 17th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central Line past West Ruislip

lonelytraveller wrote:
On 17 Oct, 12:52, "John Shelley"
wrote:
thoss wrote:
At 14:23:28 on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 Paul Terry opined:-

In message ,
writes

Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past
West Ruislip?

The original (pre-war) plan was to continue two stations further
- Harefield Road and Denham. Post-war greenbelt legislation
restricted housing development, and thus potential passengers,
in the area, so this final part of the westward extension was
never built.

I have a street atlas* with a map that shows it as existing.
Denham is there, but no station at Harefield Road.

* Bartholomew's Reference Atlas of Greater London, 1940

Remember that it was being extended along the alignment of the
GW&GC Joint line, which is, probably, what is shown on the street
atlas, altough it is true that many anticipatory maps were drawn
including many of LT's internal ones

There were also plans to extend the other branch of the central
line past Ealing - it would have gone to Uxbridge, roughly along
the route of the recently abandoned West London Tram. I still
don't see why they didn't propose that instead of the tram -
digging a cut-and-cover route under the main road

I expect they got bogged down sending replies to people who sent them
the same letter six times.

--
Richard J.

Old October 18th 07, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." typed

There were also plans to extend the other branch of the central
line past Ealing - it would have gone to Uxbridge, roughly along
the route of the recently abandoned West London Tram. I still
don't see why they didn't propose that instead of the tram -
digging a cut-and-cover route under the main road

I expect they got bogged down sending replies to people who sent them
the same letter six times.

^^^

It seem you mis-spelt nine... ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 18th 07, 06:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Oct, 00:52, lonelytraveller
wrote:
On 16 Oct, 13:43, wrote:

Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

There were also plans to extend the other branch of the central line
past Ealing - it would have gone to Uxbridge, roughly along the route
of the recently abandoned West London Tram. I still don't see why they
didn't propose that instead of the tram - digging a cut-and-cover
route under the main road

Google seems to have had some problems last night and sent this 10
times.

Old October 18th 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message ups.com...
On 16 Oct, 13:43, wrote:
Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

There were also plans to extend the other branch of the central line
past Ealing - it would have gone to Uxbridge, roughly along the route
of the recently abandoned West London Tram. I still don't see why they
didn't propose that instead of the tram - digging a cut-and-cover
route under the main road

Sorry I didnt quiet hear can you tell me again what you just said?

Old October 18th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, lonelytraveller wrote:

On 16 Oct, 13:43, wrote:

Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

There were also plans to extend the other branch of the central line
past Ealing - it would have gone to Uxbridge, roughly along the route of
the recently abandoned West London Tram. I still don't see why they
didn't propose that instead of the tram - digging a cut-and-cover route
under the main road

Well, at least you've more than made up for their failure to propose it.

I suspect the answer is cost - a tram route is an awful lot cheaper to
build than a tube line. Also, i don't know what the traffic along the
A4020 is trying to do; if it's a lot of local trips, then a tram is a
better service than a tube, although if it's people commuting into Ealing
or into town, then a tube would be much better.

The District might be a better bet than the Central, though - it's a long
distance, so bigger trains ought to be more comfortable.

ObIdleRouteSpeculation: Hanwell Broadway, Iron Bridge (x GWML - for
hospitals and inevitable high-density residential conversion of works),
Southall High Street, Yeading Brook, Hayes (Lansbury Dr - Church Rd),
Hayes End (x West Drayton Rd), Hillingdon Heath (x Harlington Rd),
Stratford Bridge (x R. Pinn, for Brunel University), junction with the
Metropolitan, Uxbridge.

tom

--
3364147 Complete space vehicles (excluding propulsion systems)
Old October 19th 07, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Wasn't there a far more logical New Works Plan proposal to take over
the GWR Ealing Broadway - Greenford branch too?