Old October 25th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston Station Underground upgrade a joke.

Toby wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

Is the southbound escalator from the station concourse down to the
underground ticket hall still cordoned off? It causees severe overcrowding
in the morning peak.

Yep - pain, isn't it? Some time in November, I think the sign said.

Of course, you can always avoid that scrum and go via the entrance down
near the platforms (7&8?), but by the time you've walked over there, the
time it takes is about the same.

I go there every day from Tottenham Hale, which also now has its down
escalator closed off, so queues both ways (at least they have a second
staircase there).

Old October 25th 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 18:20, John B wrote:
On 25 Oct, 17:57, wrote:

I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

It's in line with LU's general policy of keeping stations visually the
same unless rebuilt, in order to preserve its heritage - which is a
good one.

The 1960s feel at Euston Square is just as worthy of preservation as
the 1930s tiles at Bethnal Green and the 1900s tiles at Arsenal, IMO.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot orgwww.johnband.org

I was taking about Euston mainline, not Euston Sqaure, I rather like
that station. Much if was destroyed by a second world war domb, hence
the mixture of old and new.

Old October 25th 07, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 19:03, wrote:
I was really pleased to see the removal of the bland, uninteresting,
boring late 60's tiling, and was looking forward to walking through a
station that doesn't cause clinical depression.

So was great to see the new tiling was identical to the old, nice one
tubelines.

Would it really have been so hard to make the station look just a
little bit modern.

It's in line with LU's general policy of keeping stations visually the
same unless rebuilt, in order to preserve its heritage - which is a
good one.

The 1960s feel at Euston Square is just as worthy of preservation as
the 1930s tiles at Bethnal Green and the 1900s tiles at Arsenal, IMO.

I suppose it's all down to personal opinion, after all the underground
station will probably be rebuild when they demolish the mainline
station above. I love the Tube architecture old and new
(www.tubephotos.com) , but not anything from that era.

Re your other post - yup, misread "Euston Station" as "Euston Square".
The same point applies to Euston tube, though.

Incidentally, I don't think there are any plans to destroy the
mainline station - if they did, it would be an act of vandalism on a
par with knocking the Arch down in the first place, since it's not
only a brilliant piece of 1960s architecture but also the only
mainline terminus that Just Works Really Well. Some refurbishment is
on the cards, but the structure and key features are staying the same
(or at least were on the last reports I saw).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 25th 07, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Oct, 23:30, John B wrote:
On 25 Oct, 19:03, wrote:

[...]

I dont think it's clear at this stage what will happen, but the plans
go way beyond a simple refurbishment. I have mixed feelings, I've
traveled through the station 600+ times per year since April 1994 as I
live in Tring and work in camden. I don't think it's as bad as people
make out, and I know every square inch of the structure including the
disused areas. I will miss it is turned into a shopping centre/
station.

No one will give a crap if it's knocked down, it's not loved like the
arch.

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3084568
http://www.franklinandrews.com/proje...=type&id=15580

I have some shots of the old station, shame I'm to young to have seen
it!

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photograp...+old&go=1&a=-1

Old October 26th 07, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The blue things at Mile End are temporary, aren't they?

Hopefully, but it seems that there are no planned closures of Mile End
in the near future - so "temporary" ugliness may last for quite a
while...

Old October 26th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:59:51 -0700, wrote:

I dont think it's clear at this stage what will happen, but the plans
go way beyond a simple refurbishment. I have mixed feelings, I've
traveled through the station 600+ times per year since April 1994 as I
live in Tring and work in camden. I don't think it's as bad as people
make out, and I know every square inch of the structure including the
disused areas. I will miss it is turned into a shopping centre/
station.

If it was turned into a Manc Picc-a-like I wouldn't mind too much, but
it is a prime example of how Birmingham New St needn't have been crap
while still having a shopping centre over the platforms. That said, I
don't think it would have been as good for a predominantly diesel
operation.

What disused areas are there, OOI?

As built there was a huge area (5 acres) above the platforms which was
designed for night use by parcels traffic, needless to say when built it
coincided with the decline of this sort of business. One of the rail mags
raised the possibilty of its use for night goods deliveries for London
shops, didn't seem to likely to me though. I wonder if there is any scope
for letting more light through?

Railways archive has a brochure from the opening:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/doc...Euston1968.pdf

Paul

Old October 26th 07, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 26, 11:34 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

The deck will be demolished and replaced with a shopping centre, we
will find out what the plans will be hopfully in the next 12 months.

The disused areas are discussed in this thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...4c8131f7c0fe39

Old October 26th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 26, 11:34 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Neil Williams" wrote in message

What disused areas are there, OOI?

As built there was a huge area (5 acres) above the platforms which was
designed for night use by parcels traffic, needless to say when built it
coincided with the decline of this sort of business. One of the rail
mags
raised the possibilty of its use for night goods deliveries for London
shops, didn't seem to likely to me though. I wonder if there is any scope
for letting more light through?

Railways archive has a brochure from the opening:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/doc...Euston1968.pdf

The deck will be demolished and replaced with a shopping centre, we
will find out what the plans will be hopfully in the next 12 months.

The disused areas are discussed in this thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...4c8131f7c0fe39

I thought Neil meant disused areas of the mainline station, I can't see
disused tunnels caused by various alterations of the deep level stations
being relevant to a shopping centre above the mainline concourse?

Paul

Henleys corner crossing - someone tell me this is a joke [email protected] London Transport 78 October 12th 11 04:15 AM
Is This A Joke? - London The Easiest City In Europe To Get Around Paul London Transport 3 July 7th 11 03:10 PM
SNOW JOKE George London Transport 35 December 4th 10 12:49 PM
LU Closures Beyond a Joke MIG London Transport 30 September 17th 09 03:05 PM
A Transport Joke Rev. CMOT TMPV London Transport 0 March 29th 07 10:10 PM