Old November 15th 07, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

On Nov 15, 11:57 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Rob wrote:

The Greathead statue one is
interesting. Others Ive heard of -

Pavillion in Park Crescent
One in a building in Cloudsley Sq Islington

Are you sure? I heard there was one in Gibson Sq, which is very close by.

Opposite Warren St station
Half way down City Road

...which is of course the closed City Road Station.

This is definitely one in Rotherhithe Street...http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...33149&style=a&...

ISTR this being one, in Downtown Road...http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...8146&style=a&l...

And ISTR this being one near Culling Circus...http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...tyle=o&lvl=2&t...

Definitely one in Netherton Road...http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...tyle=o&lvl=2&t...

Two close together at London Bridge...
One aligned north-south (Northern line?)http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...87027&style=a&...
One aligned northwest-southeast (Jubilee Line)http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...88078&style=a&...
...although I can't think why fanshafts would have structures which indicate
the orientation of the line beneath.

This can't be a fanshaft, I wonder what it is?http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...tyle=o&lvl=2&t...

There are of course various holes in the roof of the Circle Line, such as
the one next to Great Portland Street station.

I'll keep an eye out for more fanshafts and email you when I find them.

Many thanks - you are quite right, its Gibson Sq

Rob

Old November 15th 07, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway

In article .com,
Adrian writes
The implication is that one can dial
222 1234 within a notional STD code of "0207" AND expect to be
connected. I have heard that there are a handful of exchanges within
London were that does work.

I would very much doubt that, unless you're talking about PBXes. If you
can identify one, please let me know and I'll ensure it gets fixed.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old November 15th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway

In article , Pyromancer
writes
Why do people want to only dial part of the number?

Because it's six digits rather than 11.

Why not just dial
the whole thing and be sure it will work from anywhere in the UK,
including mobiles?

Because when I'm at home I don't need to ensure it works from anywhere
in the UK.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old November 15th 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway

In message , G
writes
On Nov 14, 1:09 pm, Mizter T wrote:
Let me be a pedant back at you - there is such a number, the spacing
between the individual digits doesn't change the fact that if one
dialled it it would work - hence it is a valid telephone number.

Yes yes it isn't written in the 'approved' format, but thousands
(millions?) of Londoners do the same and manage just fine.

And many of them get very confused when I tell them my WC1 address and
020 3xxx xxxx number, because to them it's 'not a London number'...

Same problem here, in leafy Surrey. Non geographic numbers might seem
good to some people, but I don't like them.
--
Alan
Old November 15th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway

bin me wrote:

In message , G
writes

And many of them get very confused when I tell them my WC1 address and
020 3xxx xxxx number, because to them it's 'not a London number'...

Same problem here, in leafy Surrey. Non geographic numbers might seem
good to some people, but I don't like them.

Why have you got one then?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:37:17 up 4 days, 6:15, 1 user, load average: 0.28, 0.27, 0.22

Old November 15th 07, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
This can't be a fanshaft, I wonder what it is?
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...-90&dir=0&alt=
1000&scene=15645313&encType=1

It's Parkway Pump Site, service the Piccadilly Line. Can you spot the
vent shaft between Hatton Cross and Hounslow West?
Old November 15th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.telecom, uk.railway

Pyromancer wrote:

Why do people want to only dial part of the number? Why not just dial
the whole thing and be sure it will work from anywhere in the UK,
including mobiles?

For the same reason that people don't prefix their numbers with +44 so
that they can be sure it will work from anywhere in the world.
Old November 15th 07, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.telecom, uk.railway

On Nov 14, 6:04 pm, Pyromancer
wrote:

Why do people want to only dial part of the number? Why not just dial
the whole thing and be sure it will work from anywhere in the UK,
including mobiles?

Back in the days of electro-mechanical exchange switching and physical
connections number-shortening may have made sense, but surely by now
it's an anachronism?

If I had to take a guess, I would say that, for some countries,
telephone area codes will dissappear with a few decades. In the age
of mobile telephones and VoIP they are becoming increasingly
anachronistic.

Example: I have numbers relating to Bognor Regis, Edinburgh, Leeds,
Portsmouth, Anaheim, Beverly Hills and Reno. Very few of them connect
to telephones in the locations indicated!

Adrian
Old November 15th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.telecom, uk.railway

On Nov 15, 5:35 am, "Clive D. W. Feather" cl...@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk wrote:

I would very much doubt that, unless you're talking about PBXes. If you
can identify one, please let me know and I'll ensure it gets fixed.

A lot of people at work do not realise they are on a PBX if its been
set up with some form of access codes and/or least cost routinf and/or
speed dial numbers that resemble short forms of the full number.

--
Nick
Old November 15th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.telecom, uk.railway

On Nov 15, 12:49 pm, Adrian wrote:

If I had to take a guess, I would say that, for some countries,
telephone area codes will dissappear with a few decades.

To a certain extent NTL (or rather whoever they call themsevles this
week ex NTL) already works like that - its actual exchanges are not
necessariliy physically located in the ''area codes'' that they serve.
It was a bit of minefield to understand sometimes - one of the
franchise areas I ran tech support when it was called NTL was straight
forward but the other was complex - it was possible for a residential
service to have two lines from the same exchange but with different
''area codes''.

--
Nick