Old November 16th 07, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford Street trams - again - again

kytelly wrote:

St Martins Lane would get my vote to be
pedestrianised as well as thats mainly a black cab rat run these days.

I imagine the road is mainly used by car drivers following their TomToms,
which don't realise there is a forced left turn into William IV Street, and
so erroneously suggest St Martins Lane as the shortest route from much of
North London to much of South London. Black cabs wouldn't use it as a rat
run because they know about the forced left turn - they use St Martins Lane
because it's full of hotels and pubs and theatres to which people wish to be
taken.

Old November 16th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2007-11-16, John Rowland wrote:
kytelly wrote:

St Martins Lane would get my vote to be
pedestrianised as well as thats mainly a black cab rat run these days.

I imagine the road is mainly used by car drivers following their TomToms,
which don't realise there is a forced left turn into William IV Street, and
so erroneously suggest St Martins Lane as the shortest route from much of
North London to much of South London. Black cabs wouldn't use it as a rat
run because they know about the forced left turn - they use St Martins Lane
because it's full of hotels and pubs and theatres to which people wish to be
taken.

They use it as a rat run - take the forced left then u-turn. I have
experienced this, and seen it done on other occasions.
Old November 16th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:05:55 +0000, Eric Junkermann

On 2007-11-16, John Rowland wrote:
kytelly wrote:

St Martins Lane would get my vote to be
pedestrianised as well as thats mainly a black cab rat run these days.

I imagine the road is mainly used by car drivers following their TomToms,
which don't realise there is a forced left turn into William IV Street, and
so erroneously suggest St Martins Lane as the shortest route from much of
North London to much of South London. Black cabs wouldn't use it as a rat
run because they know about the forced left turn - they use St Martins Lane
because it's full of hotels and pubs and theatres to which people wish to be
taken.

They use it as a rat run - take the forced left then u-turn. I have
experienced this, and seen it done on other occasions.

Correct but we still have day long traffic jams into Cranbourn St as a
result of the blocking off of St Martins Lane. Lower St M Lane is a
more pleasant place to be these days as traffic is light. I can
certainly recall taking up to 20 minutes [1] to ride my motorbike [2]
down there in the evening when it was jammed solid with taxis and
delivery vans.

[1] assuming, of course, that the taxis had given me any space to turn
out of the bike parking space into the traffic itself.
[2] in the days when I commuted in by bike.

--
Paul C

Old November 18th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

I've never heard the South Bank called "nice" before... but I
haven't used it in a while. Is it full up then?

Years ago my father used to call it "the empire on which the concrete
never sets".

--
Colin Rosenstiel