Old November 26th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Will this work?

If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

I travel to Ealing Broadway purely for Network Rail and I don't need
to go through any Oyster barriers when I arrive...so I only touch in
and touch out at West Kensington.

Old November 26th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark S" wrote in message
If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

I travel to Ealing Broadway purely for Network Rail and I don't need
to go through any Oyster barriers when I arrive...so I only touch in
and touch out at West Kensington.

You would pay £8.00, because your PAYG account would have two unresolved
journeys, one with no exit, a £4.00 max cash fare, and one with no entry,
another £4.00 max cash fare.

Thats why there are separate validators on the paid side at places like
Ealing Broadway, where you can leave onto/into a NR platform/train/office
etc...

Paul

Old November 26th 07, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Nov, 11:12, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mark S" wrote in message

If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

You would pay £8.00, because your PAYG account would have two unresolved
journeys, one with no exit, a £4.00 max cash fare, and one with no entry,
another £4.00 max cash fare.

What if you were seeing off a friend? You touch in at the barriers,
accompany your friend to the platform, wave goodbye as your friend
gets on the train, then you touch out again.

You haven't actually gone anywhere, so will you be charged nothing?
Or will you be charged £8 for what is essentially a platform ticket?
Old November 26th 07, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark S" wrote in message

If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

You would pay £8.00, because your PAYG account would have two unresolved
journeys, one with no exit, a £4.00 max cash fare, and one with no entry,
another £4.00 max cash fare.

What if you were seeing off a friend? You touch in at the barriers,
accompany your friend to the platform, wave goodbye as your friend
gets on the train, then you touch out again.

Not sure, but I don't think the concept of seeing off a friend (like a
platform ticket) has been catered for on PAYG.
You could of course do that with a travelcard season...

Paul

Old November 26th 07, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark S" wrote in message

If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

You would pay £8.00, because your PAYG account would have two unresolved
journeys, one with no exit, a £4.00 max cash fare, and one with no entry,
another £4.00 max cash fare.

What if you were seeing off a friend? You touch in at the barriers,
accompany your friend to the platform, wave goodbye as your friend
gets on the train, then you touch out again.

Not sure, but I don't think the concept of seeing off a friend (like a
platform ticket) has been catered for on PAYG.
You could of course do that with a travelcard season...

Paul

At the moment I have an annual travel card on my Oyster so I assume I
can do whatever I want and not be penalised right?

But soon I may have to go pre-pay when I move and travel on Network
Rail.

Old November 26th 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Nov, 11:59, Mark S wrote:

"Mark S" wrote:

[...]

As long as it's valid for the zones you wish to travel within, then
pretty much yes.

But soon I may have to go pre-pay when I move and travel on Network
Rail.

Bear in mind that Oyster Pay-as-you-go (aka Pre-pay) is *not* valid on
most National Rail routes. See this page for more information...
http://nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...ystercard.html

...and in particular this map (PDF)...
http://nationalrail.co.uk/system/gal...OysterPAYG.pdf
Old November 26th 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark S" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 11:45 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mark S" wrote in message

If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

You would pay £8.00, because your PAYG account would have two unresolved
journeys, one with no exit, a £4.00 max cash fare, and one with no
entry,
another £4.00 max cash fare.

At the moment I have an annual travel card on my Oyster so I assume I
can do whatever I want and not be penalised right?

But soon I may have to go pre-pay when I move and travel on Network
Rail.

Other way round surely - if you are using NR (within the zones) an Oyster
travelcard season is much more use to you than PAYG? Depends which NR
routes you are using, and there are more changes due to PAYG acceptance in
January, but it will still depend on exactly where on NR you'll be
travelling...

Paul

Old November 26th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
Not sure, but I don't think the concept of seeing off a friend (like a
platform ticket) has been catered for on PAYG.
You could of course do that with a travelcard season...

But oddly, not with a daily travelcard. Presumably one is *allowed* to, but
I have to "seek assistance" if I try to exit almost immediately at the
station I boarded at. The barriers don't open.

Hopefully there's some sort of time-out after which it will work. I suppose
it depends on whether this is an "unforseen circumstance" or a deliberate
measure to prevent things like somebody passing their card on to somebody
else once they think they've finished with needing it for barriers further
on in their (last) journey.

Old November 26th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 26 Nov, 15:37, "Kieran Turner"
wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
Not sure, but I don't think the concept of seeing off a friend (like a
platform ticket) has been catered for on PAYG.
You could of course do that with a travelcard season...

But oddly, not with a daily travelcard. Presumably one is *allowed* to, but
I have to "seek assistance" if I try to exit almost immediately at the
station I boarded at. The barriers don't open.

Hopefully there's some sort of time-out after which it will work. I suppose
it depends on whether this is an "unforseen circumstance" or a deliberate
measure to prevent things like somebody passing their card on to somebody
else once they think they've finished with needing it for barriers further
on in their (last) journey.

This has been discussed before, but I really can't get my head round
why anyone trying to pass their card to someone else would put it
through the machine.

It seems that the system is programmed to prevent some very convoluted
and unlikely possibilities just because it CAN be programmed thus.
This has no effect on the bleedin obvious, like just handing it to
someone.
Old November 26th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"Mark S" wrote in message

If I touch in at West Kensington and travel to Ealing Broadway, and as
I am not needed to, do not touch out there... does this mean that when
I come home and only touch out at West Kensington I will be charged as
if I never left in the first place?

You would pay £8.00, because your PAYG account would have two unresolved
journeys, one with no exit, a £4.00 max cash fare, and one with no entry,
another £4.00 max cash fare.

What if you were seeing off a friend? You touch in at the barriers,
accompany your friend to the platform, wave goodbye as your friend
gets on the train, then you touch out again.

Not sure, but I don't think the concept of seeing off a friend (like a
platform ticket) has been catered for on PAYG.
You could of course do that with a travelcard season...

Paul-

I haven't done proper research, but my impression is that any paper
travelcard will give "Seek assistance" whereas an Oyster weekly will
let you go in and out with no problem.

Certainly, if I go to, say, platforms 1 - 4 at Charing Cross, just
miss my train and try to get out for the next one from platform 6, I
can't open the gate with a paper period travelcard.