Old December 9th 07, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford - that DLR bridge

Thanks to Mr Thant's photo on his blog today (4th of 4), I was wondering
about the reasoning behind the Stratford DLR bridge, from platform 5 to new
4A/B.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...ngs-today.html

Clearly they are worried about people piling over the platform edge, hence
the barrier, so why didn't the gap in line with the steps and the end of the
bay (all of about 20ft?) get filled in, so that pax from and to the bridge
would move along the platform, in stead of across it?

Paul

Old December 9th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clearly they are worried about people piling over the platform edge, hence
the barrier, so why didn't the gap in line with the steps and the end of the
bay (all of about 20ft?) get filled in, so that pax from and to the bridge
would move along the platform, in stead of across it?

Because trains do not go further the platform - this platform is very
long and the first door of the first carriage is usually right
opposite the new bridge entrance.
Old December 10th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"alex_t" wrote in message

Clearly they are worried about people piling over the platform edge,
hence
the barrier, so why didn't the gap in line with the steps and the end of
the
bay (all of about 20ft?) get filled in, so that pax from and to the
bridge
would move along the platform, in stead of across it?

Because trains do not go further the platform - this platform is very
long and the first door of the first carriage is usually right
opposite the new bridge entrance.

Would that still the case if they used 12 car trains? I'm not sure of the
normal length on those services...

Old December 10th 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

Would that still the case if they used 12 car trains? I'm not sure of the
normal length on those services...

It's normally 8 at peak hours and late evening and four in the middle of the
day - the platform is normally used by the suburban services from Shenfield.

Old December 11th 07, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Would that still the case if they used 12 car trains? I'm not sure of the
normal length on those services...

I don't think that platform can take 12 car trains (I don't have any
data to back it up, just some visual observations).

Old December 11th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford - that DLR bridge... is now open

I went through Stratford station this evening and noticed - and indeed
traversed - the new bridge linking the new DLR platforms to the
westbound Central line & Great Eastern island platform.

On checking U Thant's weblog I see that he's well ahead of me in
propagating this news - it opened on monday:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...lly-opens.html

The bridge doesn't quite match the spectacular one at the new Langdon
Park station - it's somewhat more functional, but it seems fine
(though I did wonder if there was enough grippy gritty material spread
on what I think is the steel floor).