London Banter

-   -   New DLR station opened today (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5953-new-dlr-station-opened-today.html)

John Rowland December 10th 07 02:00 PM

New DLR station opened today

Langdon Park station.
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

Tim Roll-Pickering December 10th 07 02:39 PM

John Rowland wrote:

Langdon Park station.
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

When is the tube map going to stand still long enough for everyone to have
an up to date copy?

Mizter T December 10th 07 02:50 PM

New DLR station opened today

On 10 Dec, 15:00, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Langdon Park station
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

U Thant's blog suggests that it actually opened for business yesterday
(sunday):

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...ngs-today.html

Stuart December 10th 07 05:20 PM

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

When is the tube map going to stand still long enough for everyone to have
an up to date copy?

This last few months of 2007 is a busy one in the world of railways
isn't? Train companies finishing, Train companies starting, stations
closing, stations opening.

Got to keep the map makers and train painters in business somehow!

MIG December 10th 07 05:26 PM

New DLR station opened today

On 10 Dec, 15:50, Mizter T wrote:
On 10 Dec, 15:00, "John Rowland"

wrote:
Langdon Park station
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

U Thant's blog suggests that it actually opened for business yesterday
(sunday):

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...openings-today....

That's plausible. The King George V extension opened a day or two
before it officially did.

Abigail Brady December 10th 07 05:29 PM

On Dec 10, 6:26 pm, MIG wrote:
That's plausible. The King George V extension opened a day or two
before it officially did.

I was there. It was open.

--
Abi

Mizter T December 10th 07 05:37 PM

New DLR station opened today

On 10 Dec, 18:26, MIG wrote:
On 10 Dec, 15:50, Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Dec, 15:00, "John Rowland"

wrote:
Langdon Park station
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

U Thant's blog suggests that it actually opened for business yesterday
(sunday):

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...openings-today....

That's plausible. The King George V extension opened a day or two
before it officially did.

When I said his blog "suggests" it was in operation yesterday that was
really just a turn of phrase as opposed to me casting doubt on the
veracity of what he wrote!

Just thought it was worth recording for posterity when trains actually
began stopping at the station. Do the "official opening dates" of
stations exist merely to confuse people?!

Paul Scott December 10th 07 05:51 PM

New DLR station opened today

"Mizter T" wrote in message
On 10 Dec, 18:26, MIG wrote:
On 10 Dec, 15:50, Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Dec, 15:00, "John Rowland"

wrote:
Langdon Park station
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

U Thant's blog suggests that it actually opened for business yesterday
(sunday):

Just thought it was worth recording for posterity when trains actually
began stopping at the station. Do the "official opening dates" of
stations exist merely to confuse people?!

Maybe it costs more to get Ken out of bed on a Sunday?

Paul S

Tom Anderson December 10th 07 06:11 PM

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Stuart wrote:

Got to keep the map makers and train painters in business somehow!

I noticed a cunning trick yesterday: the strip maps on the Jubilee
(probably other lines too, but i haven't checked) have been updated to
show the Overground interchanges. However, there was a sticker over Canada
Water. Already, i thought? Then i realised - the strip maps will have been
printed not showing ELL interchange at Canada Water, and stickers added to
show it. When the ELL closes, they just pull them off and have a nice neat
strip map that shows the then-current situation. It's also possible that
the underlying map shows Overground interchange at ELL, and the stickers
will be replaced with new stickers that show no interchange for the
duration of the works, which will then be removed when the line reopens.

Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

Someone remind me - why is the ELL closing for three years?

tom

--
Come on thunder; come on thunder.

Mizter T December 10th 07 06:48 PM

On 10 Dec, 19:11, Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Tis two years - the plan is to have the ELLX open in December 2009
(i.e. when the railway timetables change).

I have thought this too - sure, there are big works to be done
(flyover at New Cross Gate, station and bridge at Shoreditch High St,
ramp - already half-built - up from Whitechapel, etc etc), but on the
face of it they don't need the existing ELL to close...

However I think the plan might involves materials being transported by
rail from the Silwood Triangle works site, and perhaps from restored
link(s) with the main lines at either New Cross or New Cross Gate or
both - of course the latter will have a permanent connection when
through ELLX services start running, though perhaps the former is an
easier place for works trains to access from the rest of the network.

James Farrar December 10th 07 07:01 PM

New DLR station opened today

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:37:43 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On 10 Dec, 18:26, MIG wrote:
On 10 Dec, 15:50, Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Dec, 15:00, "John Rowland"

wrote:
Langdon Park station
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

U Thant's blog suggests that it actually opened for business yesterday
(sunday):

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...openings-today....

That's plausible. The King George V extension opened a day or two
before it officially did.

When I said his blog "suggests" it was in operation yesterday that was
really just a turn of phrase as opposed to me casting doubt on the
veracity of what he wrote!

Just thought it was worth recording for posterity when trains actually
began stopping at the station. Do the "official opening dates" of
stations exist merely to confuse people?!

To confuse Clive, anyway!

Tom Anderson December 10th 07 07:21 PM

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Dec, 19:11, Tom Anderson wrote:

Someone remind me - why is the ELL closing for three years?

Tis two years - the plan is to have the ELLX open in December 2009
(i.e. when the railway timetables change).

Aha. This leaflet, in which, allegedly, "information is correct at time of
going to print - November 2007":

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...re-leaflet.pdf

says "The East London line will close on 22 December 2007 for major
extension work and will reopen by summer 2010 as part of the London
Overground network.". Summer 2010 is public works code for winter 2010,
from which i calculated three years. But if it only takes two, that's much
better.

I have thought this too - sure, there are big works to be done (flyover
at New Cross Gate, station and bridge at Shoreditch High St, ramp -
already half-built - up from Whitechapel, etc etc), but on the face of
it they don't need the existing ELL to close...

Right. The work connected with the ramp from Whitechapel, perhaps, but
Shoreditch High Street is nowhere near the current line, and the NXG
flyover surely just involves closing the NXG branch!

However I think the plan might involves materials being transported by
rail from the Silwood Triangle works site, and perhaps from restored
link(s) with the main lines at either New Cross or New Cross Gate or
both - of course the latter will have a permanent connection when
through ELLX services start running, though perhaps the former is an
easier place for works trains to access from the rest of the network.

This sounds plausible, but an appallingly bad excuse.

I've also heard that there's to be large-scale changes to power and
signals to change them to NR standards. Still hard to see how this'll take
2-3 years.

On a related note, Liverpool Street is closed for a week over christmas
"as a result of major engineering work on the approach lines to the
station, in connection with the extension of TfLs East London line". I
don't know if that's the ramp or a new track connection or preparatory
works or what.

tom

--
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
right. -- Lord Hailsham

Paul Scott December 10th 07 07:31 PM

New DLR station opened today

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...

On a related note, Liverpool Street is closed for a week over christmas
"as a result of major engineering work on the approach lines to the
station, in connection with the extension of TfLs East London line". I
don't know if that's the ramp or a new track connection or preparatory
works or what.

I believe its for removal of the existing girder work that used to support
the lines into the Bishopsgate goods station, I think becusue they are not
in the correct vertical alignment for the new ELLX bridge, which will be
installed at a later date.

Google Earth currently shows a massive amount of structure/material in the
line of route, if you have access to it.

Paul S

[email protected] December 10th 07 07:44 PM

On 10 Dec, 18:26, MIG wrote:

That's plausible. The King George V extension opened a day or two
before it officially did.

As did Lewisham; one day before, I think.

Mizter T December 10th 07 08:01 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Dec, 19:11, Tom Anderson wrote:

Someone remind me - why is the ELL closing for three years?

Tis two years - the plan is to have the ELLX open in December 2009
(i.e. when the railway timetables change).

Aha. This leaflet, in which, allegedly, "information is correct at time of
going to print - November 2007":

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...re-leaflet.pdf

says "The East London line will close on 22 December 2007 for major
extension work and will reopen by summer 2010 as part of the London
Overground network.". Summer 2010 is public works code for winter 2010,
from which i calculated three years. But if it only takes two, that's much
better.

Errm, I'm not sure where I picked up December 2009 from - as the LU
"Track closures Six Month Look Ahead" PDF agrees with you in saying
June 2010 (in fact it specifically says Wed 30 Jun 10 - not sure that
can be right though):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/livetra...k-closures.pdf

So two and a half years. I'm not sure that the public works code will
apply to this tightly managed TfL-run project, we shall see!

I have thought this too - sure, there are big works to be done (flyover
at New Cross Gate, station and bridge at Shoreditch High St, ramp -
already half-built - up from Whitechapel, etc etc), but on the face of
it they don't need the existing ELL to close...

Right. The work connected with the ramp from Whitechapel, perhaps, but
Shoreditch High Street is nowhere near the current line, and the NXG
flyover surely just involves closing the NXG branch!

....and closing the National Rail/ Network Rail lines there as well, so
they can swing it in to place.

The work on the ramp to bring the line up from Whitechapel has been
proceeding apace for a good while now.

However I think the plan might involves materials being transported by
rail from the Silwood Triangle works site, and perhaps from restored
link(s) with the main lines at either New Cross or New Cross Gate or
both - of course the latter will have a permanent connection when
through ELLX services start running, though perhaps the former is an
easier place for works trains to access from the rest of the network.

This sounds plausible, but an appallingly bad excuse.

I think I remember reading things about minimising the impact of
construction traffic on the surrounding areas and roads. I don't know
the details. I do however know that tracks have been laid at the
Silwood Triangle works site on an alignment that will connect with the
existing line - the connection isn't in place yet and I wouldn't
expect it to go in until the ELL closes.

I've also heard that there's to be large-scale changes to power and
signals to change them to NR standards. Still hard to see how this'll take
2-3 years.

I agree - if someone could explain it all that'd be great!

On a related note, Liverpool Street is closed for a week over christmas
"as a result of major engineering work on the approach lines to the
station, in connection with the extension of TfLs East London line". I
don't know if that's the ramp or a new track connection or preparatory
works or what.

Removal of Bridge GE19, which needs to go so it can be replaced by a
new bridge to carry the ELLX over the Liverpool Street lines, which
will itself be put in place in spring 2008 (I suspect that'll be a
simpler operation than the removal of the old bridge).

I think bridge GE19 isn't on the right alignment. See two of U Thant's
helpful weblog entries:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...-route-at.html
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...idge-date.html

I'm all for the ELLX, as I'm sure you know, but I'm also all for
keeping the closure to as short a period as possible. The ELL might
not be anything like as heavily used as other LU lines are, but it is
still a crucial cross river connection for many.

That said, it will become a far more critical bit of London's
transport infrastructure when it becomes part of the ELLX, so I guess
it's worth getting everything right first time round during this
closure and making sure all the works are done to a very high standard.

Mr Thant December 10th 07 08:04 PM

On 10 Dec, 20:21, Tom Anderson wrote:
says "The East London line will close on 22 December 2007 for major
extension work and will reopen by summer 2010 as part of the London
Overground network.". Summer 2010 is public works code for winter 2010,
from which i calculated three years. But if it only takes two, that's much
better.

TfL's latest documents list a forecast completion time (even with
testing etc) of November 7th 2009.

eg Page 81 here.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...tober_2007.pdf

I've also heard that there's to be large-scale changes to power and
signals to change them to NR standards. Still hard to see how this'll take
2-3 years.

Yes, basically everything's going to be ripped out and they'll start
again. They're also doing some major refurbishment/rebuilding of the
stations, though I don't have details handy.

The timetable above has London Underground not handing over the line
to the builders until March, and the work will be complete and ready
for testing by June the next year. 15 months seems pretty good to me.

On a related note, Liverpool Street is closed for a week over christmas
"as a result of major engineering work on the approach lines to the
station, in connection with the extension of TfLs East London line". I
don't know if that's the ramp or a new track connection or preparatory
works or what.

Demolishing the enormous brick viaduct over the Great Eastern Main
Line on the east side of Brick Lane. It's in the way of the ELL's own
bridge over the line. Apparently it weighs 12,000 tonnes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/6798.aspx

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Recliner December 10th 07 08:50 PM

New DLR station opened today

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li
However I think the plan might involves materials being transported
by rail from the Silwood Triangle works site, and perhaps from
restored link(s) with the main lines at either New Cross or New
Cross Gate or both - of course the latter will have a permanent
connection when through ELLX services start running, though perhaps
the former is an easier place for works trains to access from the
rest of the network.

This sounds plausible, but an appallingly bad excuse.

I've also heard that there's to be large-scale changes to power and
signals to change them to NR standards. Still hard to see how this'll
take 2-3 years.

Yes, I was wondering why it's going to take so long. The existing line
was almost re-built not so long ago and it can't take all that long to
install new power supplies and signalling. Connecting it up to the
extension shouldn't take more than a few weeks.

Michael R N Dolbear December 10th 07 09:12 PM

New DLR station opened today

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote

John Rowland wrote:

Langdon Park station.
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/news/details.asp?id=152

When is the tube map going to stand still long enough for everyone to

have
an up to date copy?

It's shown as open on the "Tube map" at the centre of the London
Overground (December) timetable booklet which I expect all the London
Transport geeks have got.

But for those who rely on the tube map in their pocket diaries, not in
the foreseeable future ;-)

What was the longest 'no change' period in recent history ?

Same question, but adding/removing the North London Line not to count,
nor splitting off the H&C, only actual changes in service on LU, W&C,
and DLR.

--
Mike D

Richard J.[_2_] December 10th 07 09:13 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:
Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

They are indeed different according to the TfL Colour Standard at
http://tinyurl.com/32y8t2

ELL: Underground orange
NCS S 0585-Y30R; RGB 236,158,0; Web FF 99 00

LO: Overground orange
NCS S 0585-Y50R; RGB 232,106,16; Web FF 66 00.

--
Richard J.

John Rowland December 10th 07 10:48 PM

Richard J. wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

They are indeed different according to the TfL Colour Standard at
http://tinyurl.com/32y8t2

ELL: Underground orange
NCS S 0585-Y30R; RGB 236,158,0; Web FF 99 00

LO: Overground orange
NCS S 0585-Y50R; RGB 232,106,16; Web FF 66 00.

Is there a good reason for them to be different? Won't various signs and
conduit friezes have to be replaced as a result of the colour change which
could otherwise have been left alone?

John Rowland December 10th 07 11:01 PM

Mizter T wrote:

That said, it will become a far more critical bit of London's
transport infrastructure when it becomes part of the ELLX, so I guess
it's worth getting everything right first time round during this
closure and making sure all the works are done to a very high
standard.

But this isn't first time around! The ELL was closed for three years not
long ago, when conversion to third rail and use of NR rolling stock etc was
already inevitable.

Colin Rosenstiel December 11th 07 12:02 AM

New DLR station opened today

In article
,
(Mr Thant) wrote:

Demolishing the enormous brick viaduct over the Great Eastern Main
Line on the east side of Brick Lane. It's in the way of the ELL's
own
bridge over the line. Apparently it weighs 12,000 tonnes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/6798.aspx

Mostly brickwork, though. "Demolition of the current bridge means
removing some 12,000 tonnes of brickwork."

That'll mainly be in the surrounding Bishopsgate Goods approach viaducts.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson December 11th 07 12:39 AM

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Richard J. wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

They are indeed different according to the TfL Colour Standard at
http://tinyurl.com/32y8t2

ELL: Underground orange
NCS S 0585-Y30R; RGB 236,158,0; Web FF 99 00

LO: Overground orange
NCS S 0585-Y50R; RGB 232,106,16; Web FF 66 00.

Which look like this:

http://urchin.earth.li/~twic/Overgro...nd_Orange.html

I think the overground shade is better - that bit harder to confuse with
Circle yellow.

'Underground orange' sounds like something you'd find in Glasgow!

tom

--
.... to build a space elevator, that's got to be hundreds of thousands
of pounds ... -- Mike Froggatt

Tom Anderson December 11th 07 12:55 AM

Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

We should completely have a bet.

On a related note, Liverpool Street is closed for a week over christmas
"as a result of major engineering work on the approach lines to the
station, in connection with the extension of TfLs East London line". I
don't know if that's the ramp or a new track connection or preparatory
works or what.

Removal of Bridge GE19, which needs to go so it can be replaced by a
new bridge to carry the ELLX over the Liverpool Street lines, which
will itself be put in place in spring 2008 (I suspect that'll be a
simpler operation than the removal of the old bridge).

I think bridge GE19 isn't on the right alignment. See two of U Thant's
helpful weblog entries:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...-route-at.html
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...idge-date.html

Ah, those are helpful. I hadn't realised how much work was being done
here - several streets being chopped and changed! There appears to a block
of flats on Pedley St that will be completely cut off by the severing of
the bridges; i think i'd be a bit miffed if i lived there. I assume nobody
does!

It's a bit of a shame they couldn't reuse the existing bridge for the ELL
route - it looks like it's in the right place; maybe it's not at the right
height. It's not particularly gorgeous, but it's historical. Still, i
suppose our generation has to bequeath its share of drab works of
engineering to the future too.

There seem to be no pictures of bridge GE19 on the web. That google images
can find, anyway. Even on flickr! Something to do on saturday ...

tom

Mizter T December 11th 07 02:37 AM

New DLR station opened today

On 11 Dec, 00:01, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

That said, it will become a far more critical bit of London's
transport infrastructure when it becomes part of the ELLX, so I guess
it's worth getting everything right first time round during this
closure and making sure all the works are done to a very high
standard.

But this isn't first time around! The ELL was closed for three years not
long ago, when conversion to third rail and use of NR rolling stock etc was
already inevitable.

Yes, I was aware of that though I didn't mention it. One would think
that any major remedial works were done then - the Thames Tunnel was
certainly 'dealt with', though the shotcrete treatment wasn't to the
liking of conservationists, which is of course why the line was closed
for so much longer than originally anticipated (and of course you know
this all already, but I'm just setting the scene for the audience!).

I'd be most interested in seeing a break-down of the works.

PhilD December 11th 07 07:31 AM

New DLR station opened today

On Dec 10, 11:48 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Is there a good reason for them to be different? Won't various signs and
conduit friezes have to be replaced as a result of the colour change which
could otherwise have been left alone?

My guess is that they wanted something sufficiently different to
indicate different services, but sufficiently similar to merge them at
a later date.

PhilD

[email protected] December 11th 07 11:32 AM

wrote:
Is there a good reason for them to be different? Won't various signs and
conduit friezes have to be replaced as a result of the colour change which
could otherwise have been left alone?

My guess is that they wanted something sufficiently different to
indicate different services, but sufficiently similar to merge them at
a later date.

I think there's a case for keeping them seperate. The use of shades of
orange suggests they're part of the same network, but it would ensure
that noone would believe they can get a direct train from, say, New
Cross to Hampstead Heath.

Jonn

R.C. Payne December 11th 07 01:45 PM

Richard J. wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

They are indeed different according to the TfL Colour Standard at
http://tinyurl.com/32y8t2

ELL: Underground orange
NCS S 0585-Y30R; RGB 236,158,0; Web FF 99 00

LO: Overground orange
NCS S 0585-Y50R; RGB 232,106,16; Web FF 66 00.

How do these compare with the colour that was once used to show BR
services on underground maps in the dim and distant past. I recall
having a fold out beck map from about 1989 (the DLR was there, with the
Beckton line shown as "under construction", that should date it), it had
the GNC, W&C and Thameslink core in orange-outline. Not long after, the
BR services changed to thin black outline. All of this is subject to
several years of possibly faulty memory.

Robin

Nick Pedley December 11th 07 04:01 PM

New DLR station opened today

h.li...

Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

I shall have to get down there and investigate. Need a couple of pics of
'my' road anyway! Could go to Langdon Park DLR too.
Last I saw the flats were fully occupied and the pics on Google Earth show
the old trackbed as having been filled in. Shouldn't be too hard to keep at
least one bridge open for access or provide a temporary crossing.

Nick

Tom Anderson December 11th 07 04:15 PM

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, R.C. Payne wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

They are indeed different according to the TfL Colour Standard at
http://tinyurl.com/32y8t2

ELL: Underground orange
NCS S 0585-Y30R; RGB 236,158,0; Web FF 99 00

LO: Overground orange
NCS S 0585-Y50R; RGB 232,106,16; Web FF 66 00.

How do these compare with the colour that was once used to show BR
services on underground maps in the dim and distant past. I recall
having a fold out beck map from about 1989 (the DLR was there, with the
Beckton line shown as "under construction", that should date it), it had
the GNC, W&C and Thameslink core in orange-outline.

This map has the W&C and GN&C in solid orange:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/1986.html

But no sign of Thameslink, but then that map is from '86, three years
before it reopened. The next map in Mr Billson's collection is '95:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/1995.htm

At which point the NR lines are in the familiar outline form, and the W&C
is a tube line.

This slightly earlier map is interesting:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/1974.html

The W&C is shown in the same form as modern NR lines, a thin outline; it
was an NR line at the time, so i suppose this is an antecedent of the
modern style. What's more interesting is the way the ELL and GN&C are
drawn - not like tube lines, but like a heavier version of the modern NR
line, as used on the High Frequency Services map, although coloured. In
both those cases, the colouring and layout of the key treats them as
junior relations of the Metropolitan and Northern lines respectively,
which is indeed how they were run, but which seems strange to modern eyes
(to mine, at least!).

When the GN&CR was part of the Northern line, was there ever a plan to
link them up at Old Street or Moorgate? They run one on top of the other,
so it would have been fairly simple, and would have made the GN&CR a
proper part of the Northern.

tom

--
That's no moon!

Tom Anderson December 11th 07 04:27 PM

wrote:
Is there a good reason for them to be different? Won't various signs and
conduit friezes have to be replaced as a result of the colour change which
could otherwise have been left alone?

My guess is that they wanted something sufficiently different to
indicate different services, but sufficiently similar to merge them at
a later date.

I think there's a case for keeping them seperate. The use of shades of
orange suggests they're part of the same network, but it would ensure
that noone would believe they can get a direct train from, say, New
Cross to Hampstead Heath.

I take your point. ISTR a map (drawn by J. Rowland?) which put the
Wimbleware service in a different shade of green to the rest of the
District to make it clear that there were no Richmond - Edgware Road
trains. You could do something similar with the Metropolitan. Moreover,
the current map suggests you can get a train from Clapham Junction to
Stratford via Willesden Junction; you cannot.

However, i think all of these limitations can be shown by layout, without
using colour - as recent maps have done for the Wimbleware, and do for the
Overground at Gospel Oak.

tom

--
That's no moon!

Peter Masson December 11th 07 04:39 PM

New DLR station opened today

"Tom Anderson" wrote

the current map suggests you can get a train from Clapham Junction to
Stratford via Willesden Junction; you cannot.

Actually you can. But only at 0717, 0817, 1717 and 1817.

Peter

Paul Scott December 11th 07 04:48 PM

New DLR station opened today

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...

I take your point. ISTR a map (drawn by J. Rowland?) which put the
Wimbleware service in a different shade of green to the rest of the
District to make it clear that there were no Richmond - Edgware Road
trains. You could do something similar with the Metropolitan. Moreover,
the current map suggests you can get a train from Clapham Junction to
Stratford via Willesden Junction; you cannot.

Bit of a sweeping statement that Tom, there are 3 or 4 services each way
to/from CJ shown in the weekday timetables!

Paul

R.C. Payne December 11th 07 05:08 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The current map [1] makes the Wimbleware service fairly clear, though I
can see a case for marking it out as a separate line, H&C style. One of
the problems with the Underground map is that it is well suited to tube
lines, where services are really very distinct from one another, but it
is less good for subsurface and overground services where there is not a
one line to one track type of segregation. I also don't like the
wheelchair symbol. I don't object to the idea of showing stair free
stations, and I can't think of a better idea for how to do it, but that
doesn't stop me from not liking it.

[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/images/...d-tube-map.gif

Robin

Lew 1 December 11th 07 11:04 PM

New DLR station opened today

Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

On a related note, when the ELL line has vanished from the map, will the
Overground Network go solid orange, which will eventually then include the
ELL?

Best Wishes,
LEWIS

cadman December 11th 07 11:15 PM

New DLR station opened today

Nice to see someone placing a station where it is really needed.

Some idiot is trying to reopen the railway to Keswick !
What a waste of money.

The roads to Keswick are freeflowing and there are buses and taxis.
Why a railway ? DOH !

Mizter T December 11th 07 11:59 PM

New DLR station opened today

On 11 Dec, 17:39, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote

the current map suggests you can get a train from Clapham Junction to
Stratford via Willesden Junction; you cannot.

Actually you can. But only at 0717, 0817, 1717 and 1817.

Peter

Indeed. I've done it.

John Rowland December 12th 07 12:27 AM

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...wimbleware.gif

Clive. December 12th 07 01:08 AM

New DLR station opened today

In message
,
cadman writes
The roads to Keswick are freeflowing and there are buses and taxis.
Why a railway ? DOH !

Buses and Taxis running where to where and how frequent and how much?
--
Clive.

MIG December 12th 07 07:32 AM

New DLR station opened today

On Dec 12, 1:27 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:

ISTR a map (drawn by J. Rowland?) which put the
Wimbleware service in a different shade of green to the rest of the
District to make it clear that there were no Richmond - Edgware Road
trains.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...wimbleware.gif

I have seen a C stock train at Richmond, heading for Edgware Road. It
would have been in the middle of the day on a Saturday. Just the one,
not an ongoing engineering diversion or anything.

A long time ago, but maybe there are a few odd movements scheduled in
the current timetables.