Old December 17th 07, 02:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wood Green one-way-system plan

A new one-way system is being proposed by Haringey Council in a bid to deter
rat-running through residential streets in Wood Green.

Residents are being statutorily consulted on the plans for roads between
Wolves Lane and Wood Green High Road, which also include a range of traffic
calming measures.

Under the scheme Lyndhurst Road, Arcadian Gardens and Woodside Road would
only be accessible from Wood Green High Road, while motorists could only
access Maryland Road and Sylvan Avenue from Wolves Lane.

An earlier informal consultation showed that residents in the roads
marginally preferred a one way system of alternate roads to a more complex
"maze" of one way routes.

The Council is also proposing introducing new "junction tables" and road
humps in a bid to slow traffic in the area.

Executive Member for Environment and Conservation, Cllr Brian Haley, said:

"Unfortunately, these roads are becoming increasingly popular with
rat-runners between Wood Green and the North Circular Road.

"We believe the proposed one-way system will make it much more difficult
to use the roads as a cut-through and will help improve the environment for
residents in the area."

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/one-way_p...at-runners.htm

Since the major difficulty in using these roads as a rat-run is the
traffic coming in the other direction, I would have thought making them
one-way will actually improve them for rat-running.

Old December 17th 07, 05:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/one-way_p...at-runners.htm

Since the major difficulty in using these roads as a rat-run is the
traffic coming in the other direction, I would have thought making them
one-way will actually improve them for rat-running.

The measures to slow down the traffic are the ones of relevance to the
rat-running issue. The one-way system is another feature of the plans
but the phrase is being used, in an arguably sloppy fashion, as a
short-hand description for the entire development.

I believe these plans should have been realised by now. Are they not?

ESB
Old December 17th 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ernst S Blofeld wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/one-way_p...at-runners.htm

Since the major difficulty in using these roads as a rat-run is the
traffic coming in the other direction, I would have thought making
them one-way will actually improve them for rat-running.

The measures to slow down the traffic are the ones of relevance to the
rat-running issue. The one-way system is another feature of the plans
but the phrase is being used, in an arguably sloppy fashion, as a
short-hand description for the entire development.

I believe these plans should have been realised by now. Are they not?

The tables[1] are being put in, and the poles which will hold the no-entry
signs have been installed and lit, but the signs themselves have not yet
been installed.

It seems like they are trying to push the problem over the border into
Enfield.

[1] long flat bumps at the entrance to the side roads.

Old February 25th 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Ernst S Blofeld wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
[...]

The one-way system is active now. I was right - it has made it a lot easier
to use these roads. I'm wondering if the scheme has been designed and paid
for by Enfield Council, since it will attract ratrunners away from Enfield!

Old February 25th 08, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
The one-way system is active now. I was right - it has made it a lot easier
to use these roads. I'm wondering if the scheme has been designed and paid
for by Enfield Council, since it will attract ratrunners away from Enfield!

The purpose of one-way systems is to improve the through-put so it's not
that surprising. The original contention was that the anti-'ratrunning'
scheme solely involved the installation of traffic calming measures. The
one-way scheme was, AFAICR, an entirely independent development - but
these had been lumped together in the minds of some. The fact that one
may undo the effects of the other is just local government in action.

ESB

Old February 25th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ernst S Blofeld wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
The one-way system is active now. I was right - it has made it a lot
easier to use these roads. I'm wondering if the scheme has been
designed and paid for by Enfield Council, since it will attract
ratrunners away from Enfield!

The purpose of one-way systems is to improve the through-put so it's
not that surprising.

Not necessarily. Some one-way systems are designed to exclude or deter
though traffic, such as the system around Clarendon Road W11, and the new
one around Mount Pleasant Road N17.