Old September 11th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Aldgate One Way System

Does anyone know where I could find maps/plans of the new traffic
routes around Aldgate? I saw a notice last night saying that traffic
will be taking new routes round there from this weekend with a 1am
implementation time. I don't know if this will be the full monty
though.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...hive/8195.aspx

From what I gather Braham Street is to be closed to traffic more or
less and two way traffic is to be introduced on Whitechapel High
Street in front of Aldgate East station. I'm intrigued to see what
effect this has on traffic.

Old September 11th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 11, 11:24*am, wrote:
Does anyone know where I could find maps/plans of the new traffic
routes around Aldgate? I saw a notice last night saying that traffic
will be taking new routes round there from this weekend with a 1am
implementation time. I don't know if this will be the full monty
though.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...hive/8195.aspx

From what I gather Braham Street is to be closed to traffic more or
less and two way traffic is to be introduced on Whitechapel High
Street in front of Aldgate East station. I'm intrigued to see what
effect this has on traffic.

Thank $DEITY that this was approved and set in motion before the
change in Mayor...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old September 11th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Jack Taylor wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find maps/plans of the new traffic
routes around Aldgate? I saw a notice last night saying that traffic
will be taking new routes round there from this weekend with a 1am
implementation time. I don't know if this will be the full monty
though.

This is the best one that I've found. The ones in the Aldgate Masterplan
are a bit "Micky Mouse" and look like they were drawn by kids with too
many crayons!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23485861-details/Drivers+face+'racetrack'+chaos/article.do

Took me a while to work out exactly what that meant, but now i understand
it (which i think i do, anyway), it seems like a good idea.

Although i have to say that as a cyclist, i've always found the Aldgate
gyratory rather exciting. At one time i had an occasional journey from
Holloway to Stepney Green, which took me through the Highbury Corner, Old
Street, and Aldgate roundabouts. What fun!

The one thing that does really concern me is what happens to the road
between Leman St and Commercial St. At the moment, there's a short road
called Colchester St. Would this be obliterated, Leman St being extended
all the way to Whitechapel High Street? As a former resident of
Colchester, i strongly oppose this insult to our civic pride!

tom

--
It involves police, bailiffs, vampires and a portal to hell under a
tower block in Hackney.
Old September 12th 08, 03:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:

This is the best one that I've found. The ones in the Aldgate
Masterplan are a bit "Micky Mouse" and look like they were drawn by
kids with too many crayons!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23485861-details/Drivers+face+'racetrack'+chaos/article.do

It looks like a terrible idea. Far better would have been to pedestrianise
Whitechapel High St and use Braham St as the two-way bypass.

Old September 16th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-details/Drive...

It looks like a terrible idea. Far better would have been to pedestrianise
Whitechapel High St and use Braham St as the two-way bypass.

Went through there Sunday night on the bus at about 11pm and traffic
was moving pretty freely along the new routes shown on the link above.
However, this morning the traffic reports said that traffic was a
nightmare and the A11 was queuing back to Bow Road and the A13 back to
Limehouse. I wonder if this will get any better as drivers get used to
the layout or whether the powers that be have created a monster. I can
understand the benefits of removing the Shoreditch one way system as
through routes there are now more direct but not many routes are
shortened in the case of Aldgate. In fact, by my understanding, if
you're coming from Tower Hill to the A13 you now have to go all the
way past Aldgate bus station!

Fun, fun, fun!
Old September 16th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 16, 3:25*am, "John Rowland"

Went through there Sunday night on the bus at about 11pm and traffic
was moving pretty freely along the new routes shown on the link above.
However, this morning the traffic reports said that traffic was a
nightmare and the A11 was queuing back to Bow Road and the A13 back to
Limehouse. I wonder if this will get any better as drivers get used to
the layout or whether the powers that be have created a monster. I can
understand the benefits of removing the Shoreditch one way system as
through routes there are now more direct but not many routes are
shortened in the case of Aldgate. In fact, by my understanding, if
you're coming from Tower Hill to the A13 you now have to go all the
way past Aldgate bus station!

But not if you're going from Tower Hill to the A11?

You can turn right from Mansell Street into Whitechapel High Street
just like before. You don't need to go past Aldgate bus station to
get from Tower Hill to either the A11 Whitechapel Road or the A13
Commercial Road.

The southbound ring road is now shorter - instead of going south along
Commercial Street, then going half way round the gyratory to get inro
Leman Street, you now go straight across Whitechapel High Street into
a new section of Leman Street (which more or less follows the line of
the former Colchester Street).

Anyway, have they closed Alie Street?

Alie Street remains open as before, though it was closed temporarily
last week for utility works.