Old January 1st 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zonal Boundaries

On Jan 1, 12:04 pm, Chris wrote:

On 30 Dec 2007, 12:33, Jon wrote:

- the outer boundary of Z6 follows the Greater London boundary

I thought Z5 was the old GLC boundary?

No. A number of areas - Uxbridge, Romford, Purley etc - are in zone 6
but also in Greater London. But there are a few zone 6 (and even zones
4 & 5) stops outside Greater London, particularly on the Central line.

Jonn

Old January 1st 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
But there are a few zone 6 (and even zones
4 & 5) stops outside Greater London, particularly on the Central line.

This seems quite common south of London (Caterham, Hampton Court,
etc), but apparently nowhere else. The GL and zone 6 boundaries
generally correspond exactly. The only other one I know of is Moor
Park.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old January 1st 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

DERWENT Zonal Boundaries
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 05:31:39 -0800 (PST), Mr Thant

On 1 Jan, 12:56, DaveP wrote:
(although there is the caveat that the train must stop where
the ticket changes over - less of a problem from Welham Green where the
train is all stops anyhow).

Not for season tickets. There's a specific exception in the conditions
of carriage.

But not when both tickets are season tickets...

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old January 1st 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 1, 7:58 pm, Mr Thant
But there are a few zone 6 (and even zones
4 & 5) stops outside Greater London, particularly on the Central line.

This seems quite common south of London (Caterham, Hampton Court,
etc), but apparently nowhere else. The GL and zone 6 boundaries
generally correspond exactly. The only other one I know of is Moor
Park.

Most of the east of the Central line beyond Woodford or Hainult -
that's all zones 4-6, yet technically in Essex.

Jonn
Old January 1st 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

But there are a few zone 6 (and even zones
4 & 5) stops outside Greater London, particularly on the Central line.

This seems quite common south of London (Caterham, Hampton Court,
etc), but apparently nowhere else. The GL and zone 6 boundaries
generally correspond exactly. The only other one I know of is Moor
Park.

Most of the east of the Central line beyond Woodford or Hainult -
that's all zones 4-6, yet technically in Essex.

This is because of two changes in recent years. About a decade ago the
Epping branch left the zones after Loughton but then TfL (or its
predecessor) came to an arrangement on subsidies with Essex County Council
that led to the rest of the line being added.

I may be mistaken but isn't the Central Line itself the Essex/London
boundary in places? The Hainault loop was recently moved entirely into Zone
4, I believe to encourage use by making the fares cheaper.

For that matter Moor Park used to be entirely outside the numbered zones - I
think it became a border station when Zones A-D were introduced in recent
years.

Of the top of my head, the main reason for stations outside the London
boundary being within the zones was because some of them served areas within
London - e.g. Hampton Court itself is in London though the station is the
other side of the boundary (the river) and Buckhurst Hill is right by the
boundary. More recently a number of stations have been added, most notably
the Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner branches though I forget the reasoning.

Old January 2nd 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 2 Jan, 00:54, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:
I may be mistaken but isn't the Central Line itself the
Essex/London boundary in places? The Hainault loop was recently
moved entirely into Zone 4, I believe to encourage use by making
the fares cheaper.

Chigwell is well outside Greater London. Roding Valley and Grange Hill
are just outside but on the boundary.

Buckhurst Hill and Loughton are well outside too. I don't see why the old
zonal boundary was North of Loughton, to be honest.

The top bit of the Hainault loop used to be outside of the zones, and
I think was brought in before Epping.

Although, in terms of distance, there is a chunk bitten out of Greater
London in the Chigwell area, so you leave London after relatively
little mileage.

I can't think of anywhere that the Central Line is the London boundary
(earlier question). It cuts across.