Old January 23rd 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Picc Line train indicators display Heathrow Term 5

In message
,
Mizter T writes

Specifically catching a T123 & 5 train is what I've been led to
believe is best, from past discussions here, given the delay on a T4
train as it stands at T4 (incidentally is there a change of driver
here, or do you just get a break?). However I did read one post on the
District Dave forum (I think) that suggested that catching a via T4
loop train to reach T123 & 5 wasn't really a big deal.

To be honest, the benefit would be a few minutes only, but people will
always try and get there the quickest way. I can envisage a few anxious
people sat on a train at T4 when we stand for 7 minutes as they have cut
it fine for H123.

There is no change of driver at T4. WE just sit in the train/go for a
walk/PNR as we need to. If the train is running late, we're still
allowed 4 minutes stand anyway to be able to have a PNR (Personal Needs
Relief!)

There is a T4 train only every 10 minutes now.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Piccadilly timetable, but the TfL
journey planner certainly seems to suggest that there is also only a
10 minute service to T123 (for a journey from Hyde Park Corner at
around midday today).

Which is what I say below about information from different places
contradicting itself. All (Heathrow) trains do call at T123, just that
the T4 ones take about 10 minutes longer to get there.

If this is the case there could be problems if all passengers in
central London who want to go to T123 & 5 (when it opens) rather than
T4 wait for the appropriate train - the T4 loop trains could end up
rather empty and the others rather full. I'm sure you've all had such
discussions, but what's your take on that?

The T4 trains will actually display T4 & 123 as a destination; the T5
trains will show T123 & 5 as a destination.

Also (and this demonstrates my lack of Pic line operational
knowledge), is it worth getting a Rayners Lane train and changing at
Acton Town?

Very rarely. Occasionally a Heathrow train will be brought out of the
sidings, but it's more common for Heathrow trains to run through.

This has caused some discussion at work, as we've been told that all
trains should be described as a T123 (pending alterations to the
destination kit). This is at variance with the TfL website and the Train
Describers you've noticed. Discussions are continuing as many of us
maintain we should be sending a consistent message out to the travelling
public and trains should be described as to their correct destination
(ie T4 or T123 as appropriate).

I have to agree with you on that one. Getting two conflicting bits of
information is genuinely confusing. When might the destination kit on
the train get altered?

When T5 actually opens to the general public apparently.

Old January 23rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
01:33:23 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Also (and this demonstrates my lack of Pic line operational
knowledge), is it worth getting a Rayners Lane train and changing at
Acton Town?

On the basis that "a train in the platform is worth two on the departure
board" it is *always* worth getting one as far as you can, then changing,
if you are at all time-constrained on the journey.

For all you know, just after you've passed Hammersmith someone will jump
onto the lines there, and then your only hope of getting to LHR for the
next couple of hours will be an ad-hoc shuttle service from Acton Town.

At Kennington Bank Branch Southbound the other day, my train stopped for
about 6 minutes.

A train pulled in on the C+ platform, which usually means it's going to
terminate, and then all the passengers will come over to fill up the bank
train. But instead it was a through train, and left Kennington before the
bank train did, which then had to wait another couple of minutes (and indeed
for another c+, this time terminating, to pull in and unload).

Now, the question is, what the **** was the point of this? And why didn't
the driver tell us to get off the train and get the c+ service, which would
be the quickest way to reach southbound destinations?

It felt like something contrived solely for the purpose of ****ing off the
passengers.

BTN

Old January 23rd 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

At Kennington Bank Branch Southbound the other day, my train stopped for
about 6 minutes.

A train pulled in on the C+ platform, which usually means it's going to
terminate, and then all the passengers will come over to fill up the bank
train. But instead it was a through train, and left Kennington before the
bank train did, which then had to wait another couple of minutes (and indeed
for another c+, this time terminating, to pull in and unload).

Now, the question is, what the **** was the point of this? And why didn't
the driver tell us to get off the train and get the c+ service, which would
be the quickest way to reach southbound destinations?

Write to TfL if you want them to do something about it.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 23rd 08, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 15:10, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:
At Kennington Bank Branch Southbound the other day, my train stopped for
about 6 minutes.

A train pulled in on the C+ platform, which usually means it's going to
terminate, and then all the passengers will come over to fill up the bank
train. But instead it was a through train, and left Kennington before the
bank train did, which then had to wait another couple of minutes (and indeed
for another c+, this time terminating, to pull in and unload).

Now, the question is, what the **** was the point of this? And why didn't
the driver tell us to get off the train and get the c+ service, which would
be the quickest way to reach southbound destinations?

Perhaps the driver of your train didn't know what was going to happen.
The through train from the CX branch was presumably let go first as
otherwise it would have blocked the platform for the terminating train
that was behind it.

Of course what should have happened is that the driver should have
been given the info and then made an announcement. Platform staff at
Kennington do sometimes manage to convey such information.

Anyway, I quite agree with Michael's suggestion...

Write to TfL if you want them to do something about it.

Online contact forms are available he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/default.aspx

What you experienced is the kind of thing that really irritates many
passengers, including myself, so do tell them about it.

I have to say I often simply avoid the whole Kennington shuffle by
taking the Victoria line wherever possible. Of course, saying that's
no help at all when you're coming from the City or the Borough.
Old January 23rd 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, like just saying that the next southbound train will leave from the
opposite platform.

I'm not sure what information those boarding at Kennington (or who had
disembarked from a previous terminating CX service) were given. Certainly
during the few minutes before and after the CX train came and went, a few
people drifted on to the bank train.

Online contact forms are available he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/default.aspx

What you experienced is the kind of thing that really irritates many
passengers, including myself, so do tell them about it.

Good idea.

I have to say I often simply avoid the whole Kennington shuffle by
taking the Victoria line wherever possible.

Likewise. Although I always feel ever so slightly guilty about contributing
to the Stockwell bottleneck when I do.

Of course, saying that's
no help at all when you're coming from the City or the Borough.

Indeed not, which was the case on this occasion.

BTN

Old January 23rd 08, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 22, 5:01 pm, Mizter T wrote:

then catch their Ryanair flight to Vienna's Bratislava airport.

Aawwwww now you were doing well with this windup until you said Vienna
Bratislava.

If Ryanair operated such a service from London Caernarfon ) the
airport would surely be referred to as Wien Pressburg, which being
German language looks as if it is in Austria, Pressburg being the
Austrian Empire name for what is now Bratislava.

--
Nick

Old January 23rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:27:50 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, D7666 remarked:
then catch their Ryanair flight to Vienna's Bratislava airport.

Aawwwww now you were doing well with this windup until you said Vienna
Bratislava.

According to Google Maps, it's 3 minutes quicker to get from Bratislava
airport to Vienna, than Stansted to London.
Old January 23rd 08, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 22:06, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
12:27:50 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, D7666 remarked:

then catch their Ryanair flight to Vienna's Bratislava airport.

Aawwwww now you were doing well with this windup until you said Vienna
Bratislava.

According to Google Maps, it's 3 minutes quicker to get from Bratislava
airport to Vienna, than Stansted to London.

Now you're spoiling all the fun! It isn't as far though:

Bratislava airport to Vienna - 54.3 miles
Stansted to London - 38.2 miles

Incidentally Google Maps has seemingly decided to buck the convention
of measuring distances to London from the (original) Charing Cross and
chooses Parliament Square as the endpoint for a generic London
destination.

I'm tempted to say that you could do London - Stansted somewhat
faster, though I know that Essex police are quite keen on their speed
cameras up the M11. Of course in heavy traffic you can also do it
somewhat slower!

Anyway, what is Ryanair's most ridiculous 'renamed' destination
airport?
Old January 24th 08, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
16:24:45 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Anyway, what is Ryanair's most ridiculous 'renamed' destination
airport?

The one that started it all was Oslo (Torp) which is also 54 miles away
it seems; but Frankfurt (Hahn) is 65 miles, Stockholm (Skavsta) 56
miles, Stockholm (Vasteras) 54 miles, Paris (Beauvais) 42 miles.

Old January 24th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 11:11, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

All (Heathrow) trains do call at T123, just that
the T4 ones take about 10 minutes longer to get there.

(snip)

The T4 trains will actually display T4 & 123 as a destination; the T5
trains will show T123 & 5 as a destination.

So for people heading to T123 in a hurry, and the first train is to T4
& 123, perhaps the best strategy is to board it anyway and then lean
out of the carriage at Hatton Cross to see if the platform departure
indicator (assuming that there is one) shows a T123 & 5 train less
than (say) eight minutes behind.

PaulO