Old January 25th 08, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Picc Line train indicators display Heathrow Term 5

In message , John Rowland
writes

Does there have to be a reason for a road to be named after a place?
Manchester Rd and Prestons Rd, Gloucester Rd, Devons Rd, Belmont Road...
aren't these just arbitrary names?

Some are arbitrary, but many are named after people associated with the
area. Gloucester Road, for instance, commemorates the Duchess of
Gloucester who had a house in the area (before 1826 it was known as
Hogmore Lane).
--
Paul Terry

Old January 25th 08, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Mizter T wrote:

On 24 Jan, 14:47, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:33:58 on
Thu, 24 Jan 2008, John Rowland
remarked:

The one that started it all was Oslo (Torp) which is also 54 miles
away it seems; but Frankfurt (Hahn) is 65 miles, Stockholm
(Skavsta) 56 miles, Stockholm (Vasteras) 54 miles, Paris
(Beauvais) 42 miles.

Clapham (Junction) 2 miles, Islington (Highbury &) 1 mile

Loughborough (Junction), 116 miles.

Cyprus 1994 miles
Albany (Park) 3384 miles
West India (Quay) 4704 miles

... although West India Quay is actually named after the West Indies, not
West India.

Yes, which is why i measured from the station to Jamaica.

Beat that!

Tamworth (Road) 10390 miles

I give up. I assume the station of that name is somewhere in the
antipodes, in which case, sir, may i direct you to:

Croydon 10529 miles

That's on the line out to Lilydale; heading into town, the following
stations are East Ringwood, Ringwood, Heatherdale, Mitcham, Nunawading,
Blackburn, Laburnum, Box Hill, Mont Albert, Surrey Hills, Chatham,
Canterbury, East Camberwell, Camberwell, Auburn, Glenferrie, Hawthorn,
Burnley, East Richmond, Richmond, and then you're in town. Although from
there, you can change for Newmarket and South Kensington!

tom

--
Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.
Old January 25th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message Pine.LNX.4.64.0801241647310.26743@urchin
..earth.li, Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:02:37, Tom Anderson
posted:

Cyprus 1994 miles
Albany (Park) 3384 miles
West India (Quay) 4704 miles

Beat that!

Andromeda Close, Bewbush, near or in Crawley.

And 2.54 ± 0.06 Mly (778 ± 17 kpc) isn't close at all.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old January 25th 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.transport.london message Pine.LNX.4.64.0801241647310.26743@urchin
.earth.li, Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:02:37, Tom Anderson
posted:

Cyprus 1994 miles
Albany (Park) 3384 miles
West India (Quay) 4704 miles

Beat that!

Andromeda Close, Bewbush, near or in Crawley.

And 2.54 ± 0.06 Mly (778 ± 17 kpc) isn't close at all.

Not a railway station! Disqualified!

I'm going to hedge with:

Eden (Park)

Although i'm not sure quite how to measure the distance on that one.

tom

--
Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.
Old January 25th 08, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 25, 1:09*am, Henry wrote:
On 24 Jan, 22:29, "Richard J." wrote:

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message
,
Mizter T writes

I'm not sure there is a "train describer" (in endearing LU lingo)
at Hatton Cross - but if there isn't one, there needs to be!

There is now - it went in a month or two ago when the signalling
work was being done for T5.

Last Thursday it was showing "Check front of train" for all trains,
which wasn't much use, especially if, as someone said earlier, even the
T4 trains say HEATHROW T1,2,3 on the front. *Is that true? *If so, it's
typical of the shambles that LU have made of the Heathrow change.

The describer was still showing "Check front of train" for the next
three
trains "yesterday" (Wed.)

I don't know what was on the front of the train as it was already
pulling in when I reached the bottom of the stairs - I can imagine a
spate of accidents as people start sprinting the moment they think
they hear a train.

I can't recall exactly what the internal displays said, but it
involved
T12 and 3 so I got on, and had a nice ~10 min pause at T4...

I didn't notice any change to the line diagrams, and forgot to check
for a Fantasy Piccadilly Line map.

Hth

Henry

I was in 1973 stock car 225 today. Whilst the line diagrams still
shows the Terminal 4 loop, the tube map between them (above the middle
seats) had a small sticker with Terminal 5 on it showing the new
service pattern that is starting soon. I assume that the line diagrams
will be changed nearer the terminal 5 opening.

Old January 25th 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Andy writes

I didn't notice any change to the line diagrams, and forgot to check
for a Fantasy Piccadilly Line map.

Hth

Henry

I was in 1973 stock car 225 today. Whilst the line diagrams still
shows the Terminal 4 loop, the tube map between them (above the middle
seats) had a small sticker with Terminal 5 on it showing the new
service pattern that is starting soon. I assume that the line diagrams
will be changed nearer the terminal 5 opening.

The line diagrams will still show the T4 loop anyway as it's not going
away. The only alteration will be the spur line to T5.

I gather there will be a new line diagram when T5 opens and it will have
information boxes advising customers that T4 trains will call at T123 on
their return journey to central London but their journeys will be
extended by approximately 10 minutes.
Old January 25th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message
,
Andy writes

I didn't notice any change to the line diagrams, and forgot to
check for a Fantasy Piccadilly Line map.

Hth

Henry

I was in 1973 stock car 225 today. Whilst the line diagrams still
shows the Terminal 4 loop, the tube map between them (above the
middle seats) had a small sticker with Terminal 5 on it showing
the new service pattern that is starting soon. I assume that the
line diagrams will be changed nearer the terminal 5 opening.

The line diagrams will still show the T4 loop anyway as it's not
going away. The only alteration will be the spur line to T5.

I gather there will be a new line diagram when T5 opens and it will
have information boxes advising customers that T4 trains will call
at T123 on their return journey to central London but their
journeys will be extended by approximately 10 minutes.

Meanwhile we have the platform indicator at Green Park today showing
next train to Heathrow Terminal 4, but the train itself had Heathrow
T1,2,3 on the front. Aaargh!!

--
Richard J.

Old January 25th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jan, 21:49, "Richard J." wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message
,
Andy writes

I didn't notice any change to the line diagrams, and forgot to
check for a Fantasy Piccadilly Line map.

Hth

Henry

I was in 1973 stock car 225 today. Whilst the line diagrams still
shows the Terminal 4 loop, the tube map between them (above the
middle seats) had a small sticker with Terminal 5 on it showing
the new service pattern that is starting soon. I assume that the
line diagrams will be changed nearer the terminal 5 opening.

The line diagrams will still show the T4 loop anyway as it's not
going away. The only alteration will be the spur line to T5.

I gather there will be a new line diagram when T5 opens and it will
have information boxes advising customers that T4 trains will call
at T123 on their return journey to central London but their
journeys will be extended by approximately 10 minutes.

It's good to hear that that information will be clearly provided to
punters.

Meanwhile we have the platform indicator at Green Park today showing
next train to Heathrow Terminal 4, but the train itself had Heathrow
T1,2,3 on the front. Aaargh!!

Elsewhere on this thread Steve Fitzgerald's has stated that that is
what drivers have been told to display on the front. Now it's time for
me to ask a possibly stupid question of Steve - can Piccadilly line
trains currently display T4 as a destination at all?
Old January 25th 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard
J. writes

I gather there will be a new line diagram when T5 opens and it will
have information boxes advising customers that T4 trains will call
at T123 on their return journey to central London but their
journeys will be extended by approximately 10 minutes.

Meanwhile we have the platform indicator at Green Park today showing
next train to Heathrow Terminal 4, but the train itself had Heathrow
T1,2,3 on the front. Aaargh!!

Absolutely - which is where we came in. Giving customers conflicting
information isn't good.
Old January 25th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes

Meanwhile we have the platform indicator at Green Park today showing
next train to Heathrow Terminal 4, but the train itself had Heathrow
T1,2,3 on the front. Aaargh!!

Elsewhere on this thread Steve Fitzgerald's has stated that that is
what drivers have been told to display on the front. Now it's time for
me to ask a possibly stupid question of Steve - can Piccadilly line
trains currently display T4 as a destination at all?

Oh yes indeedy. My train always displays (IMO, the correct) T4 when I'm
on a loop train - and so do a fair few of my colleagues.

In fact, it's possible to display any station that we serve. Cue
displays of Park Royal and Arsenal when we run staff trains. In fact,
up until the new talking trains upgrade, we could even still show
Aldwych!