Old February 5th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Its that time of year again

On 5 Feb, 21:28, MIG wrote:
...so anyone who isn't an investment banker (and hasn't stayed in the
pub for more than a couple) is still well placed to renew their weekly
ticket on Friday evening, so the announcement is still sensible.

No it isn't. Your previous statement is clearly false.

No, it's mildly hyperbolic. Nonetheless, I'd happily stake my life
that the majority of people who:

1) work Monday-Friday jobs in central London
2) commute to/from Bow Road
3) don't go out after work on Friday night for more than a couple of
drinks

do arrive at that station before 7pm on a Friday evening.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 5th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 5, 11:30*pm, John B wrote:
On 5 Feb, 21:28, MIG wrote:

...so anyone who isn't an investment banker (and hasn't stayed in the
pub for more than a couple) is still well placed to renew their weekly
ticket on Friday evening, so the announcement is still sensible.

No it isn't. *Your previous statement is clearly false.

No, it's mildly hyperbolic.

In that case it's the most wildly hyperbolic statement on any subject
ever.

Old February 6th 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 5, 12:35 pm, Boltar wrote:
On 5 Feb, 10:09, chunky munky wrote:

then things would be much worse. The vast majority of LU staff do take
pride in their work - just look at stations like Northwood or
Southfields and compare them to similar National Rail ones! LU are
trying to remove this.

I have no doubt a large proportion of LU staff are very professional
and as you say to take pride in their work (thumb in the air guess
and from personal experience I'd say it was the older staff). However
there seems to be a similarly large proportion who don't give a stuff.
This probably applies to any company, however when its a public
service its expecially annoying to the "customers".

I very much doubt LU will make staff redundant and replace them with
contract so if there are to be any contract staff its probably just to
make up the numbers, which to me would suggest the unions are simply
scared of losing a bit of influence. A good place to start would be
Woodside Park station where I had to travel from the other month - the
ticket office closes at about midday on a weekday. Wtf is that all
about??

Hopefully for the good of the travelling public and for members this
can all be sorted without the need for direct strike action.

Though no doubt Bolshevic Bob will make sure it goes down to the wire.

B2003

Actually Boltar, it is probably 50/50. I am not old! A lot of older
staff now just want to go and retire as they are fed up of the
constant blame culture rather than running a train service. Whereas us
newbie staff have only ever known it like this and that every tiny
little thing is contracted, then sub-contracted and that you are not
always allow to tell the tuth for "political reasons"!

The ticket office closures have been pushed through by TfL, though
some were agreed by the unions as part of the station staff re-
structuring.

LU have been talking with the unions since October last year, so to
just turn around and say this is all new is a bare faced lie!
Old February 6th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Feb, 09:17, chunky munky wrote:
LU have been talking with the unions since October last year, so to
just turn around and say this is all new is a bare faced lie!

Sounds like British Leyland all over again. Still , I don't care , I
don't have to use the tube to commute anymore )

B2003

Old February 7th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
"chunky munky" wrote in message
The vast majority of LU staff do take
pride in their work - just look at stations like Northwood or
Southfields and compare them to similar National Rail ones! LU are
trying to remove this.

Whats so special about Northwood station?

It's about to win an award for the longest lasting scaffolding in
history?