Old February 10th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default 31 Minutes to walk from Kings Cross to St. Pancreas - Is thistrue!?

tim (not at home) wrote:

If you had a journey which involved a change at Kings Cross they probably
allow you 20 minutes for getting through the exit barriers (which might
easily take 5) and finding the next train.

If you arrive by NXEC, there are no barrier checks... tickets are
checked on the train.

There are no automatic barriers for most of the station (platforms 1 to 8).
--
Jeremy Double
jmd.nospam@btinternet {real email address, include the nospam!}

Old February 10th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Am Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:48:26 UTC, schrieb "Richard J."
auf uk.railway :

I've not been to the new St Pancreas, and I guess the entrance might
not be at the Kings Cross side, but is it really true that it would
take the average person 31 minutes to walk from Kings Cross station
to St. Pancreas?

First of all, it's St Pancras, not St Pancreas!

Maybe that's why the journey planner looked for a hospital for
intestinal surgery and found the 31 minute walk...

Cheers,
L.W.

Old February 10th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Am Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:26:04 UTC, schrieb Matt
auf uk.railway :

I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to St
Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport
Direct journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I look
at any map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

As Tim (not at home) already indicated, I guess that the 31 minutes
are the lapse of time between the arrival of your train at King's
Cross, and the departure time at St. Pancras. Since you have to leave
the former to get into the latter, they give you all the lapse time as
duration of the walk, instead of splitting it up into separate time
slices.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old February 10th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Am Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:44:52 UTC, schrieb "tim \(not at home\)"
auf uk.railway :

If you had a journey which involved a change at Kings Cross they probably
allow you 20 minutes for getting through the exit barriers (which might
easily take 5)

should take zero time.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old February 10th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport
Direct journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I look
at any map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

The short answer is "because that's the (generally pessimistic) time
specified in the 'Cross London Transfer Times' table in the National
Rail Timetable".

Were you wanting a Eurostar connection, it'd give you a minimum of 1
hour 5 minutes between arrival at Kings Cross and departure from St
Pancras (30 minutes transfer time, 35 minutes Eurostar allowance).

Other examples include Paddington - Marylebone (2 stops on the Bakerloo
Line, a short ride on the 205 bus or a 20 minute walk) at 32 minutes;
Euston - St Pancras at 38 minutes; and Euston - Kings Cross at 35 minutes.

Cheers,

Barry

Old February 10th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I was initially confused by this last week when using planners to get from
Brighton to Grantham. It would seem illogcal to me to go any other way than
via FCC to St P.

Trainline is fair, but still occasionally thinks going via Victoria and then
Tube is a logical route.

Traveline ditto, although its walking time is 23 minutes rather than 31.

DB Hafas is very confused indeed and even takes you off a FCC train that
goes to St P at London Bridge and puts you onto the Tube.

Planajourney always seems to send you via Victoria and Tube.

Transport Direct ditto. Here you see the logic - 2 mins train to Tube at
Victoria, 10 mins on Tube and 13 mins Tube to KX. Total 25 mins, which is
faster than the 31 minutes walk just at St P.

This is manifestly all very silly and I wonder how many passengers who know
no better are struggling across London with luggage for no sensible reason?

Regarding some of the other responses here, do note that the building work
currently is very much focused on the west side of KX, especially beyond
platform 9 3/4 and along Pancras Road (?). There are ways through, but it is
daunting if you don't walk the route regularly. The road that separates KX
and St P is annoyingly busy too and I believe a bad bit of planning.

I got from FCC to KX in 5 minutes. 10 to 15 is a fair allowance.

David

Old February 10th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roger T." wrote in message
landnet.com...
When you get to King's Cross, follow signs for Platforms 9 to 11

Platform 9 3/4. Sorry forgot the link.

http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/platform9.75.html

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the platform?
--
David Biddulph

Old February 10th 08, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 10 Feb, 16:48, "David Thornhill" wrote:
DB Hafas is very confused indeed and even takes you off a FCC train that
goes to St P at London Bridge and puts you onto the Tube.

It's 18 minutes on Thameslink and 11 minutes on the Northern Line. I
reckon you could get to the concourse at KX a minute or two quicker
going that way.

Planajourney always seems to send you via Victoria and Tube.

Again, the expresses to Victoria are fast enough that it probably is
slightly quicker to go that way rather than use Thameslink.

(not that I don't think taking Thameslink is a good idea, it just
isn't the absolute fastest, which is what these programs are looking
for)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London