Old February 10th 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

Default 31 Minutes to walk from Kings Cross to St. Pancreas - Is thistrue!?

On 10 Feb, 17:45, Michael Hoffman wrote:

I didn't see where the OP said he was taking NXEC, and I still don't.
There are buses that are have a scheduled time of only 22 minutes from
Hatfield to St. Albans, so depending on where you're coming from it
might be faster or cheaper.

Probably cheaper, as it avoids doing into central London (well, London
at all). Not sure how much the bus is though, as I have a plusbus that
covers part of the area - so I've only ever paid £2 or £2.50 (can't
remember exactly).

Only word of caution is that the Uno bus service (602) isn't timed to
train times and I think it goes a bit of a weird route, via the
University (it is there primarily as a university bus that allows the
public on too). You might also get the 724 (?) Green Line coach as I
think that stops at St Albans. Likewise, don't expect it to be timed
and you may end up at the bus stop for quite some time.

On balance, it should still be quicker than the 21-26 minutes to
King's Cross, the walk to St Pancras, waiting and the train back up
(another 20 minutes if you get a fast train).

Jonathan

Old February 10th 08, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 11 Feb, 00:05, jonmorris wrote:

On balance, it should still be quicker than the 21-26 minutes to
King's Cross, the walk to St Pancras, waiting and the train back up
(another 20 minutes if you get a fast train).

To add; if time is more important than cost, get a taxi. In the day,
the rate is /fairly/ reasonable. Certainly no more than about £10 I'd
say, and the rank is usually full up throughout the day and into the
evening.

Jonathan
Old February 10th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Matt wrote:

Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to St
Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport Direct
journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I look at any
map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

Well, they have got lots of nice new shops in St Pancras, so maybe they're
leaving you time to do some shopping.

tom

--
Don't believe his lies.
Old February 10th 08, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 31 Minutes to walk from Kings Cross to St. Pancreas - Is this

On 11 Feb, 00:07, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

(jonmorris) wrote:
On 10 Feb, 17:06, "David Biddulph" groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the
platform?

Yes, which is now badly dented - either through vandalism or
something else hitting it.

Not sure what that website was going on about, suggesting the
platform 9 3/4 could have been there before the book!!

Don't be silly!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Quite - it's always been there! The trolley is damaged because the
person pushing it was a Muggle porter and hence could not enter, so it
crashed against the wall - however there was a young wizard sat atop
their case on the front of the trolley, and so that end of the trolley
did pass through the entrance. The prefects found this situation of
the trolley stuck in the entrance somewhat whimsical and so it has
stayed as it is, confounding the likes of Mr Morris and leading them
to dream up outlandish, pedestrian explanations for its presence...

Old February 11th 08, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 11 Feb, 00:15, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then to walk over to St
Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport Direct
journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I look at any
map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

Well, they have got lots of nice new shops in St Pancras, so maybe they're
leaving you time to do some shopping.

tom

--
Don't believe his lies.

Or... hic... complete the Shhampagne bar... hic.. cchallenge...
hic.... one must drink a flute of each of the 10 Champagnes that are
offered by the glass... hic... then find one's way... hic... to the
bowls of the station for the train to... hic... where was it that we
were going again... hic... let's get on the Brighton train... hic...
I'm sure that stops at Shaint Albans...
Old February 11th 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
,
jonmorris writes
wrote:

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the platform?

Yes, which is now badly dented - either through vandalism or something
else hitting it.

Not sure what that website was going on about, suggesting the platform
9 3/4 could have been there before the book!!

I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person, which I
didn't fully understand, that there was once a station *somewhere* (not
KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the inspiration for JK
Rowling.

Anyone else here know?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 11th 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:20:10 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message
,
jonmorris writes
wrote:

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the platform?

Yes, which is now badly dented - either through vandalism or something
else hitting it.

Not sure what that website was going on about, suggesting the platform
9 3/4 could have been there before the book!!

I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person, which I
didn't fully understand, that there was once a station *somewhere* (not
KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the inspiration for JK
Rowling.

Anyone else here know?

No, but I do recall reading that, when she started writing about Kings
Cross, she was actually thinking of Euston.

Old February 11th 08, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Ian Jelf wrote:

I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person,
which I didn't fully understand, that there was once a station
*somewhere* (not KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the
inspiration for JK Rowling.

Anyone else here know?

I don't, but there are quite a few houses around which have half-numbers.
I've never seen a three-quarters though.

There are bound to be some platform signs which bear a three and a four,
possibly with a slash between them. (I've seen a sign in a hospital marked
"Wards e1-e10", which has "Old McDonald had a farm" graffitied on it.)

Old February 11th 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message
,
jonmorris writes
wrote:

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the platform?

Yes, which is now badly dented - either through vandalism or something
else hitting it.

Not sure what that website was going on about, suggesting the platform
9 3/4 could have been there before the book!!

I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person, which I
didn't fully understand, that there was once a station *somewhere* (not
KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the inspiration for JK
Rowling.

It's more likely that there was a station with a milepost 9 3/4 on the
platform... to someone who didn't know much about railways this could
look like a sign for platform 9 3/4.

Of course, it would have to be a Midland Railway (or similar) milepost,
not one that indicated quarters by spots or bars.
--
Jeremy Double
jmd.nospam@btinternet {real email address, include the nospam!}