Old February 11th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.transport.buses

Default Camden Town: Low Bridge Accident

On 11 Feb, 16:06, Haywain wrote:
On 11 Feb, 12:25, Ian Jelf wrote:

From

Six hurt as roof ripped from bus

One person suffered serious head injuries. Pictu Stephen Reynolds
Six people were injured when a double decker bus crashed into a bridge
in north London.
The bus had been diverted along Prince of Wales Road because of a major
fire at Camden market on Saturday.

A police spokesperson said one man suffered serious head injuries when
the roof was pulled off the vehicle.

Having been on the top deck of a bus that hit that very same bridge,
with much less disastrous consequences, I consider myself extremely
lucky.

Haywain.

May I ask whether that was recently, and whether the bus on a
diversionary route, or was it some time ago when double deck buses
regularly ran under the bridge?

I note that the TfL spokesman in the BBC News story states that "The
route is a recognised diversion route and drivers know to drive
straight through the middle." I dare suggest that it might not remain
a recognised diversion route for much longer.

Old February 11th 08, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.transport.buses

On 11 Feb, 13:28, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

Blimey, that's nasty. My best wishes for the man who sustained serious
head injuries, I hope he comes out of this OK in the end.

The bridge hit carries the North London Line and is just south of
Kentish Town West station. LO JourneyCheck doesn't show the NLL as
being disrupted at present, so perhaps it was but is no longer.

I wonder what the signage is like there - i.e. whether there are
special signs telling bus drivers to ensure they drive in the middle
of the road.

It looks fairly typical AFAICS. The white lines on the bridge brickwork are
visible on the first BBC picture, extending either side of the (obscured)
warning triangle which gives the height. Normally there are matching lines
on the road surface, and I think that's one visible continuing under the
bus.

I'm not familiar with any special signs for bus drivers...

Paul S

The BBC News story now has a photo of a sign at the location, possibly
on the bridge itself, which reads...

-----
ARCH BRIDGE
High vehicles used middle of road
-----

Old February 11th 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , at 14:05:22 on Mon,
11 Feb 2008, John Rowland
remarked:
The white lines on the bridge
brickwork are visible on the first BBC picture, extending either side
of the (obscured) warning triangle which gives the height. Normally
there are matching lines on the road surface, and I think that's one
visible continuing under the bus.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6923&encType=1

The bus was heading from top to bottom in that picture. Rotate it
through 180 degrees to see the white lines in bus driver view.
Old February 11th 08, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.transport.buses

On 11 Feb, 16:48, Mizter T wrote:
On 11 Feb, 16:06, Haywain wrote:

On 11 Feb, 12:25, Ian Jelf wrote:

From

Six hurt as roof ripped from bus

One person suffered serious head injuries. Pictu Stephen Reynolds
Six people were injured when a double decker bus crashed into a bridge
in north London.
The bus had been diverted along Prince of Wales Road because of a major
fire at Camden market on Saturday.

A police spokesperson said one man suffered serious head injuries when
the roof was pulled off the vehicle.

Having been on the top deck of a bus that hit that very same bridge,
with much less disastrous consequences, I consider myself extremely
lucky.

Haywain.

May I ask whether that was recently, and whether the bus on a
diversionary route, or was it some time ago when double deck buses
regularly ran under the bridge?

It was in July 2006, on a London General bus doing a FCC rail
replacement job. I was in the front left seat, top deck (or, 'nearest
the brickwork'). It could quite easily have been me with serious head
injuries, but it was, fortunately, only a glancing blow as the bus
went through the bridge, and apart from being showered with a few
shards of glass I was unhurt - although I will never take that seat on
a bus again.

Haywain
Old February 13th 08, 02:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Mizter T" wrote in message
"The
route is a recognised diversion route and drivers know to drive
straight through the middle." I dare suggest that it might not remain
a recognised diversion route for much longer.

Either that or they will insist on drivers that can read and obey signs.