Old February 11th 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Camden Town: Low Bridge Accident

From

**

Six hurt as roof ripped from bus

One person suffered serious head injuries. Pictu Stephen Reynolds
Six people were injured when a double decker bus crashed into a bridge
in north London.
The bus had been diverted along Prince of Wales Road because of a major
fire at Camden market on Saturday.

A police spokesperson said one man suffered serious head injuries when
the roof was pulled off the vehicle.

The route 24 bus between Hampstead Heath and Pimlico normally goes
through Camden High Street. Drivers have been asked to avoid the crash
site.

The crash happened near the junction with Talacre Road at about 0900
GMT.

A Transport for London (TfL) spokesperson said buses had been using the
route under the arched bridge safely for 24 hours before the crash
happened.

The bus was diverted because of road closures. Pictu Toby Koch

He said: "The route is a recognised diversion route and drivers know to
drive straight through the middle."

Buses and overground rail services have been disrupted, and tickets are
being accepted on London Underground.

An investigation into the crash has been launched by TfL and the bus
operator, London General.

Saturday night's fire caused serious damage to the area's famous market.

Storage buildings for the market and the nearby Hawley Arms pub were
also damaged and local residents had to leave their homes.

Police warned that main roads could remain closed for up to four days.
**

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old February 11th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

It's like 'Live and Let Die' all over again.
Again.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 11th 08, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.transport.buses

On 11 Feb, 12:25, Ian Jelf wrote:
[...]

Blimey, that's nasty. My best wishes for the man who sustained serious
head injuries, I hope he comes out of this OK in the end.

The bridge hit carries the North London Line and is just south of
Kentish Town West station. LO JourneyCheck doesn't show the NLL as
being disrupted at present, so perhaps it was but is no longer.

I wonder what the signage is like there - i.e. whether there are
special signs telling bus drivers to ensure they drive in the middle
of the road.
Old February 11th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Mizter T wrote:

Blimey, that's nasty. My best wishes for the man who sustained serious
head injuries, I hope he comes out of this OK in the end.

The bridge hit carries the North London Line and is just south of
Kentish Town West station. LO JourneyCheck doesn't show the NLL as
being disrupted at present, so perhaps it was but is no longer.

I wonder what the signage is like there - i.e. whether there are
special signs telling bus drivers to ensure they drive in the middle
of the road.

It looks fairly typical AFAICS. The white lines on the bridge brickwork are
visible on the first BBC picture, extending either side of the (obscured)
warning triangle which gives the height. Normally there are matching lines
on the road surface, and I think that's one visible continuing under the
bus.

I'm not familiar with any special signs for bus drivers...

Paul S

Old February 11th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6923&encType=1

Old February 11th 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

: : From
: :
: : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7238711.stm

I've always been surprised something similar hasn't happened at Richmond
Road, Olton. I always used to flinch slightly trying to get a Metrobus
under that bridge..!

Ivor

Old February 11th 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
It's like 'Live and Let Die' all over again.
Again.

I have the Corgi model from that film, the only model bus where the
upper deck comes off at the flick of a lever!

Old February 11th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , Ivor Jones
writes

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

: : From
: :
: : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7238711.stm

I've always been surprised something similar hasn't happened at
Richmond Road, Olton. I always used to flinch slightly trying to get a
Metrobus under that bridge..!

Though presumably not as much as your upper deck passengers!

Old February 11th 08, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.transport.buses

On 11 Feb, 12:25, Ian Jelf wrote:
From

**

Six hurt as roof ripped from bus

One person suffered serious head injuries. Pictu Stephen Reynolds
Six people were injured when a double decker bus crashed into a bridge
in north London.
The bus had been diverted along Prince of Wales Road because of a major
fire at Camden market on Saturday.

A police spokesperson said one man suffered serious head injuries when
the roof was pulled off the vehicle.

Having been on the top deck of a bus that hit that very same bridge,
with much less disastrous consequences, I consider myself extremely
lucky.

Haywain.
Old February 11th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

: : In message , Ivor
: : Jones writes
: : :
: : :
: : : "Ian Jelf" wrote in
: : : message
: : : : : From
: : : : :
: : : : : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7238711.stm
: : :
: : : I've always been surprised something similar hasn't
: : : happened at Richmond Road, Olton. I always used to
: : : flinch slightly trying to get a Metrobus under that
: : : bridge..!
: :
: : Though presumably not as much as your upper deck
: : passengers!

Indeed ;-)

Ivor