Old February 26th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BTP seeking Tube photographer attacker

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message
,
The Real Doctor writes
I once came across a French missile base near Aachen

Did the Germans know it was there?!

They knew about the British bases in the British sector and the American
bases in the American sector, so they probably suspected there might be
French bases in the French sector...

Old February 26th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
The Real Doctor wrote:

On 25 Feb, 23:10, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Italy appears to go in for signs saying things like
"Keep off the grass
(act 12345/678 a90(b) (1974))"

I once came across a French missile base near Aachen which wasn't on
the maps and was surrounded by signs saying "No Entry. No Photography.
Use of Deadly Force Authorised." I've got a picture of the sign
somewhere ...

Miltary bases in Argentina merely have a sign with a silhouette of a soldier
with a rifle. You don't even stop, never mind take pictures!

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old February 26th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
02:04:26 on Tue, 26 Feb 2008, The Real Doctor
remarked:
Italy appears to go in for signs saying things like
"Keep off the grass
(act 12345/678 a90(b) (1974))"

I once came across a French missile base near Aachen which wasn't on
the maps and was surrounded by signs saying "No Entry. No Photography.
Use of Deadly Force Authorised."

Authorised by whom under what law; dear Liza
Old February 26th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
02:06:51 on Tue, 26 Feb 2008, The Real Doctor
remarked:
The police should protect both, or prosecute either, depending on who is
actually the more threatening (to the other). Not as a result of some
perceived but non-existent threat.

Surely the whole point about a threat is perception? If you don't feel
threatened, it isn't a threat.

It's not nearly as simple as that. I could feel threatened by people in
baseball caps, but that doesn't excuse me kicking up a huge fuss if one
came near me in the park.
Old February 26th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
02:06:51 on Tue, 26 Feb 2008, The Real Doctor
remarked:
The police should protect both, or prosecute either, depending on who is
actually the more threatening (to the other). Not as a result of some
perceived but non-existent threat.

Surely the whole point about a threat is perception? If you don't feel
threatened, it isn't a threat.

It's not nearly as simple as that. I could feel threatened by people in
baseball caps, but that doesn't excuse me kicking up a huge fuss if one
came near me in the park.

And if the cap wearers had no bad intentions towards you then there
would be no actual threat even if you felt one. Conversely one could
blithely wander into places where other people would know there was a
real threat even though you were unaware of it.

Sam

Old February 26th 08, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:
In message
,
The Real Doctor writes
I once came across a French missile base near Aachen

Did the Germans know it was there?!

They knew about the British bases in the British sector and the American
bases in the American sector, so they probably suspected there might be
French bases in the French sector...

Yes I realise that but the French sector was nowhere near Aachen!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 26th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 Feb, 15:05, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
02:04:26 on Tue, 26 Feb 2008, The Real Doctor
remarked:

I once came across a French missile base near Aachen which wasn't on
the maps and was surrounded by signs saying "No Entry. No Photography.
Use of Deadly Force Authorised."

Authorised by whom under what law; dear Liza

"Le Loi Nous Sommes Francais Et Nous Faison Ce Que Nous Voulons, Mon
Ami"

I think they were feeling particularly sensitive when I was there,
because shortly after I photog^H^H^H^H^H^Hsaw
the signs I got a good view of the inside of the base, and it looked
as if a batch of missiles had just been delivered. About two minutes
later I was met by a large and armed party of guards. Oddly enough, I
suddenly "forgot" all teh french and german I knew ...

Ian
Old February 26th 08, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 Feb, 15:26, Sam Wilson wrote:

And if the cap wearers had no bad intentions towards you then there
would be no actual threat even if you felt one. Conversely one could
blithely wander into places where other people would know there was a
real threat even though you were unaware of it.

No, that's being endangered. As you correctly point out, you can be
endangered without feeling threatened or threatened without being
endangered.

Ian

Old February 27th 08, 09:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article
,
The Real Doctor wrote:

On 26 Feb, 15:26, Sam Wilson wrote:

And if the cap wearers had no bad intentions towards you then there
would be no actual threat even if you felt one. Conversely one could
blithely wander into places where other people would know there was a
real threat even though you were unaware of it.

No, that's being endangered. As you correctly point out, you can be
endangered without feeling threatened or threatened without being
endangered.

Ummm. I think was making a distinction between there being a threat and
feeling threatened. I don't think they're the same. Anyone for a
philological discussion?

Sam