Old March 5th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston - Watford Junction

Hi All

I know Oyster PAYG is valid on London Overground services, but is it valid
using London Midland services ?

I am travelling this Sunday and intend to get London Midland trains as LO
has engineering works between H&W and WJ.

Cheers

Old March 5th 08, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam" wrote in message

Hi All

I know Oyster PAYG is valid on London Overground services, but is it valid
using London Midland services ?

Yes - PAYG was live on London Midland about a week after the introduction of
PAYG on the LO (& Southern)services.

Paul

Old March 5th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 13:57, "Sam" wrote:
Hi All

I know Oyster PAYG is valid on London Overground services, but is it valid
using London Midland services ?

I am travelling this Sunday and intend to get London Midland trains as LO
has engineering works between H&W and WJ.

Cheers

Yes, Oyster PAYG is valid on London Midland trains from Watford
Junction to all stations south thereof. It's not surprising there is
some confusion about the matter as originally, back in November when
London Midland and London Overground took over Silverlink County and
Metro respectively, for the first week London Midland did not accept
Oyster PAYG on their trains north of Harrow & Wealdstone (Silverlink
had always accepted PAYG on the fast trains between Euston and H&W,
though I don't think many people realised this). After just a week
however they caved in and so now they do accept it.

Oyster PAYG is also valid on Southern trains from WJ as far as Clapham
Junction and at all intermediate stations.

As ever, always remember to touch-in and touch-out.
Old March 5th 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Mizter T" wrote in message
On 5 Mar, 13:57, "Sam" wrote:

Yes, Oyster PAYG is valid on London Midland trains from Watford
Junction to all stations south thereof. It's not surprising there is
some confusion about the matter as originally, back in November when
London Midland and London Overground took over Silverlink County and
Metro respectively, for the first week London Midland did not accept
Oyster PAYG on their trains north of Harrow & Wealdstone (Silverlink
had always accepted PAYG on the fast trains between Euston and H&W,
though I don't think many people realised this). After just a week
however they caved in and so now they do accept it.

Oyster PAYG is also valid on Southern trains from WJ as far as Clapham
Junction and at all intermediate stations.

As ever, always remember to touch-in and touch-out.

What about on Virgin Trains?

Old March 5th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 5, 7:55*pm, wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 5 Mar, 13:57, "Sam" wrote:
Yes, Oyster PAYG is valid on London Midland trains from Watford
Junction to all stations south thereof. It's not surprising there is
some confusion about the matter as originally, back in November when
London Midland and London Overground took over Silverlink County and
Metro respectively, for the first week London Midland did not accept
Oyster PAYG on their trains north of Harrow & Wealdstone (Silverlink
had always accepted PAYG on the fast trains between Euston and H&W,
though I don't think many people realised this). After just a week
however they caved in and so now they do accept it.

Oyster PAYG is also valid on Southern trains from WJ as far as Clapham
Junction and at all intermediate stations.

As ever, always remember to touch-in and touch-out.

What about on Virgin Trains?

Would they ever be more than set-down only, if they stopped there at
all? That would mean that there are no timetabled Virgin services
from Watford to Euston.

Old March 5th 08, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 14:35, Mizter T wrote:
On 5 Mar, 13:57, "Sam" wrote:

[...]

Trouble is you can't touch in on a train, so while you may have a
valid paper ticket from Watford to Euston, you can't use a Southern to
Clapham and only pay the zone 2 fare from Willesden to Clapham, you
have to buy a paper ticket from the ticket office. I guess they won't
sort that one out until national seasons are smart-ticketted.
Old March 5th 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 5 Mar, 21:48, Paul Weaver wrote:

On 5 Mar, 14:35, Mizter T wrote:

On 5 Mar, 13:57, "Sam" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, well, you can't have it all!

I'm trying to think what *paper ticket* you would be issued with if
you had a WJ - London season and wanted to use Southern to Clapham
Junction. To be honest I can't even remember whether a WJ - London
ticket is valid to Kensington Olympia, which is a hoary old question
that comes up time and time again here - I think the answer's no, the
problem being is that each time it does come up a wide variety of
differing opinion and reports of different rail staff saying different
things comes up!

If a WJ - London ticket is valid to Kensington Olympia, then it's a
straight point-to-point ticket from KO down to CJ that's needed.

If however a WJ - London ticket isn't valid to Kensington Olympia,
then I suppose a Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction ticket would
be issued - or would it?

My befuddlement is the reason why I have cross-posted this to
uk.railway, to see if someone wise than I could ever so kindly set me
straight.
Old March 5th 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Oyster PAYG is also valid on Southern trains from WJ as far as Clapham
Junction and at all intermediate stations.

As ever, always remember to touch-in and touch-out.

Sadly, however, staff passes are not! I wonder if this will ever change
(nearly 100% of the route is covered by London Overground)...

Cheers

Steve M
Old March 5th 08, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 22:13, Steve M wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Oyster PAYG is also valid on Southern trains from WJ as far as Clapham
Junction and at all intermediate stations.

As ever, always remember to touch-in and touch-out.

Sadly, however, staff passes are not! I wonder if this will ever change
(nearly 100% of the route is covered by London Overground)...

A full 100% of the route is in fact covered by London Overground - the
Watford Jn to Euston line stopping services, and the Willesden Jn to
Clapham Jn services are both London Overground.

The problem of course is that this is the slow route - all stations
from Watford Jn to Willesden Jn!

I'm curious as to what the arrangements are / will be for National
Rail routes that accept Oyster PAYG but don't accept TfL staff passes.

Oyster already offers special Priv rate Oyster cards for qualifying
National Rail staff - what would be good if TfL staff could get these
as well, or if they could be incorporated into the existing TfL staff
passes, so that TfL staff could benefit from Priv rate Oyster PAYG
fares on these routes.

There could be problems though if the system presumed a staff pass
holder had taken a route for which a fare was payable where in fact
they had taken a more roundabout free route (i.e. a route on which
their staff pass was valid).

I'm *really* hazy on the details of staff passes and Priv rate fares
to be honest. Are there any National Rail routes (other than London
Overground) on which TfL staff passes are accepted - for example I'm
thinking of situations such as Liverpool Street to Stratford, where
standard tickets are inter-available (i.e. valid on both National Rail
and LU).
Old March 6th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 5 Mar, 14:35, Mizter T wrote:

On 5 Mar, 13:57, "Sam" wrote:

[...]

It should be, Watford - London is a map LM, which specifically shows
a route through Willesden.

Kenny O isn't a London Terminal, and hasn't been for nearly 15 years,
but Vauxhall is, and Clapham Junction is the routing point. I assume
that the fares manual states that tickets to London are only valid
from Watford to Euston.