Old March 6th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default UK train questions

Greetings everyone,

We are planning a one way trip from Manchester to Paris through London
via rail in mid-May. London to Paris will be on the Chunnel.
Questions:

1) Is there any way to book the Manchester-London and Chunnel
reservations at one time to save money?
2) How much time should we give ourselves to transfer between St.
Pancras and Euston stations?

Cheers!
Mark

Old March 6th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Atanoman wrote:
1) Is there any way to book the Manchester-London and Chunnel
reservations at one time to save money?

Yes, on the Eurostar website. The online booking service has a subheader
for "Domestic UK Rail." Fortunately Manchester is one of the small
number avaliable for through ticketing. If a reasonably priced ticket
you want is unavaliable, and you already have a Eurostar ticket, visit
any ticket office with that ticket, present it to the retail assistant
and ask for "London International." Such tickets are offer protection in
the event of delays and are also subject to less-strict peak time
restrictions.

2) How much time should we give ourselves to transfer between St.
Pancras and Euston stations?

It's about a 15-20 min walk with a similar bus journey time. Don't
forget to allow for check in at St Pancras. If you're on a through
ticket, you'll be covered for delays, but I'd still give at least 30
mins for delays to avoid hassle in the event your train is delayed.
--
http://www.railforums.co.uk
Old March 7th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:11:19 on
Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Joe Patrick remarked:
Atanoman wrote:
1) Is there any way to book the Manchester-London and Chunnel
reservations at one time to save money?

Yes, on the Eurostar website. The online booking service has a
subheader for "Domestic UK Rail." Fortunately Manchester is one of the
small number avaliable for through ticketing. If a reasonably priced
ticket you want is unavaliable, and you already have a Eurostar ticket,
visit any ticket office with that ticket, present it to the retail
assistant and ask for "London International." Such tickets are offer
protection in the event of delays and are also subject to less-strict
peak time restrictions.

I looked at booking a through ticket but there was no price advantage at
the time I wanted to travel. You will simply have to see what's
available at the time you want to travel.

A through ticket does offer protection against delays, which can also be
achieved by booking a walk-up ticket to London International (as above).

2) How much time should we give ourselves to transfer between St.
Pancras and Euston stations?

It's about a 15-20 min walk with a similar bus journey time. Don't
forget to allow for check in at St Pancras. If you're on a through
ticket, you'll be covered for delays, but I'd still give at least 30
mins for delays to avoid hassle in the event your train is delayed.

When I tries to book a trough ticket they seemed to be allowing an hour
for either a KingsCross-StPancras or a StPancras-StPancras connection.
Old March 8th 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe Patrick wrote:
Atanoman wrote:

2) How much time should we give ourselves to transfer between St.
Pancras and Euston stations?

It's about a 15-20 min walk with a similar bus journey time.

If you've got a lot of luggage, you might consider travelling via
Sheffield and thence straight into St Pancras. It will take a bit longer
but the cost is about the same (depends though on which kind of ticket
you're buying). And you'll normally get cross-platform interchange at
Sheffield, which is a lot easier than trekking along the Euston Road.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK