Old March 17th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL to buy out Croydon trams

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7741.aspx

Transport for London (TfL) has announced that it intends to take direct
control of Tramlink services this year.

Tramlink is a vital part of the south London transport network and last
year carried 25 million passengers.

TfL's offer of £98m to acquire Tramtrack Croydon Ltd, the Private
Finance Initiative (PFI) Concession holder which runs Tramlink, was
accepted today.

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, said: "Bringing Tramlink into the
control of TfL is excellent news for Londoners.

"This will mean we can plan how to make the improvements that are
required to cater for ever increasing numbers of passengers and provide
them with the very best possible services."
Value for money

The current contract requires TfL to make compensation payments to
Tramtrack Croydon Ltd for changes to the fares and ticketing policy
introduced since 1996.

Last year, that payment was £4m, and the rate is increasing annually.

Taking control of Tramtrack Croydon Ltd means that TfL will no longer
have to make those payments and will be able to concentrate on improving
the network.

Peter Hendy, TfL Commissioner, said: "With 88 years remaining on the
Concession Agreement with Tramtrack Croydon Ltd, this deal represents
excellent value for money for London's fare and tax payers.
Improvements

"It will allow us to build on the success of Tramlink to date, and
increase levels of investment in the system to ensure it can keep up
with growing demand, all the while providing a safe, reliable service
for passengers.

"Tramlink should be setting the benchmark for tram services throughout
the UK."

Following completion of the purchase later this year, Tramlink would be
managed by TfL's London Rail directorate, allowing TfL to develop
Tramlink as a key part of the Capital's integrated public transport
network.

There would be no change to the current fares and ticketing arrangements
but improvements have already been proposed that would take effect as
soon as TfL takes control of the network.
More services

Off-peak services between Elmers End and Beckenham Junction would double
from two trams per hour to four on Monday to Saturday evenings and on
Sundays.

TfL would also seek to run additional services to relieve crowding on
the Wimbledon to New Addington line.

Graffiti and vandalism on the system would be targeted, general
maintenance levels would increase and TfL would begin a programme to
refresh tram interiors and stops to improve the environment for
passengers.

In the longer term, TfL is keen to enhance the Tramlink system so that
it can cater for increasing passenger numbers.

An investment programme would be developed which, subject to future
funding commitments, could allow for upgrading or renewal of the network
to ensure that Tramlink provides the best possible public transport
service well into the future.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old March 18th 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Good news! I just hope that they won't be adding it to the Tube map,
like they did with Overground - it is already overcrowded.
Old March 18th 08, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 03:20:49 -0700 (PDT), alex_t
wrote:

Good news! I just hope that they won't be adding it to the Tube map,
like they did with Overground - it is already overcrowded.

Yeah! Keep it separate and completely un integrated with the rest of
London's transport in the interest of keeping Beck unsullied :-)
Old March 18th 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Mar, 22:21, Arthur Figgis wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7741.aspx

Transport for London (TfL) has announced that it intends to take direct
control of Tramlink services this year.

Tramlink is a vital part of the south London transport network and last
year carried 25 million passengers.

TfL's offer of £98m to acquire Tramtrack Croydon Ltd, the Private
Finance Initiative (PFI) Concession holder which runs Tramlink, was
accepted today.

Sounds like good news.

Tramtrack Croydon Ltd (TCL) was never a very buoyant business - thus
far has it not been loss making? Anyway, it has certainly been
struggling for a good deal of the time since the Tramlink system
opened.

The Mayor and TfL regularly criticised TCL, and it does seem like the
original PFI deal signed in 1996 between the then London Regional
Transport (controlled by central government back then) and TCL was
somewhat flawed.

A court case last year illustrates the tempestuous relationship
between TfL and TCL, and also perhaps demonstrates how the PFI
contract wasn't that well drawn up...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/3319.aspx

It seems evident that TCL's shareholders have decided that selling up
to TfL will net them a better return than struggling on trying to keep
TCL up and running.

It'll be interesting to see how TfL decide to run the Tramlink
operation. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that they plan on
having a company come in and operate it as a concession, ala Serco
Docklands with the DLR and LOROL with the London Overground network.
Old March 18th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 17 Mar, 22:21, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Transport for London (TfL) has announced that it intends to take
direct control of Tramlink services this year.

It'll be interesting to see how TfL decide to run the Tramlink
operation. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that they plan on
having a company come in and operate it as a concession, ala Serco
Docklands with the DLR and LOROL with the London Overground network.

Interesting coincidence that this comes at the same time as the DfT
announcement of a 'Tram-train' trial near Sheffield, involving the Northern
rail franchise partly because its franchisee 'Serco/Nedrail' includes an
experienced European Tram operator...

Paul

Old March 18th 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Yeah! Keep it separate and completely un integrated with the rest of
London's transport in the interest of keeping Beck unsullied :-)

Just the map ;-)
They are welcome to keep current tram icon at Wimbledon though!
Old March 18th 08, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

alex_t wrote

Good news! I just hope that they won't be adding it to the Tube map,
like they did with Overground - it is already overcrowded.

Looks OK on the London Connections map, but I agree the pocket size
tube map is already very crowded.

And I would like to add a grey line to show SWT Wimbledon-Clapham
Junction-Vauxhall-Waterloo rather than leaving these stations in
apparent isolation.

What should be done when everywhere within the zones accepts PAYG ?

--
Mike D

Old March 18th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 10:21 pm, Arthur Figgis
wrote:
Off-peak services between Elmers End and Beckenham Junction would double
from two trams per hour to four on Monday to Saturday evenings and on
Sundays.

2 trains per hour, is that all?! I thought the point of the tram was
to provide a frequent service , not simply mimic the train service it
replaced.

B2003
Old March 18th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar, 12:55, Boltar wrote:
2 trains per hour, is that all?! I thought the point of the tram was
to provide a frequent service , not simply mimic the train service it
replaced.

Looking at the timetables, it's every 10 minutes for most of the day -
it's only before 8am and after 8pm that there are trams only every 30
minutes.

And I'm sure they mean "to each of" Elmers End and Beckenham Junction
rather than "between", which is physically impossible.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old March 18th 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 18 Mar, 12:55, Boltar wrote:
2 trains per hour, is that all?! I thought the point of the tram was
to provide a frequent service , not simply mimic the train service it
replaced.

Looking at the timetables, it's every 10 minutes for most of the day -
it's only before 8am and after 8pm that there are trams only every 30
minutes.

Pretty much, yes. Not great for those of us who only use it at night!

And I'm sure they mean "to each of" Elmers End and Beckenham Junction
rather than "between", which is physically impossible.

They do indeed run between Elmers End and Beckenham Junction - though
they go via West Croydon.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK