Old May 3rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default If Boris does win as now expected

Ernst S Blofeld wrote:

rather than engage
in rabid scaremongering, dubious fabrications and character
assassination, without even the slightest reference to his manifesto;

Isn't that what Usenet is for?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old May 3rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
JG JG is offline

On May 3, 9:44*am, wrote:
On Sat, 3 May 2008 13:19:27 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
Turnout was 45% (biggest ever apparently), so with 2.20 million voting
that gives an electorate of 4.88 million.

2,456,990 papers counted out of an electorate of 5,419,913 - giving a
turnout of 45.33% according to 'London Elects'.

There were 2,415,958 'good' votes after 41,032 had been rejected and
13,034 seen to be blank papers.

Now the UK can look forward to private health insurance and unchecked
Drug makers, serves ya right for torching our White House in 1812...JG
Old May 3rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 3, 6:36*pm, Boltar wrote:
On 3 May, 15:30, MIG wrote:

He won't cock up. *He won't be involved. *The party will employ a
bunch of racists

You sad little ******.

Very sad that Boris (ie his puppetmasters) won.

On the bright side, Ken lost.

Shame there weren't any decent candidates with a chance.
Old May 3rd 08, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 3, 3:10*am, thoss wrote:
At 13:02:28 on Fri, 2 May 2008 Solario opined:-

On May 2, 12:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
...what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

Paul S

Probably not good.

What I want to know is how a county, OK region, of seven million
people could have such an abysmal choice of candidates?

Maybe because you didn't stand.
--
Thoss

Had I stood, you may have stood against me. Given your superior wit,
I would have lost my deposit.

Old May 3rd 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 May, 19:34, MIG wrote:
Shame there weren't any decent candidates with a chance.

Well never mind eh. Maybe next time Left List won't bother
resurrecting Nanna Moon to represent them and they might get more than
1/4 the BNP vote.

I'm surprised George Galloway didn't put himself forward , though
perhaps even he knew there weren't enough gullible bengalis in tower
hamlets left to fall for his noble-sacrifice-for-the-people BS routine
to get a look in for this gig.

B2003

Old May 3rd 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 3, 10:49*pm, Boltar wrote:
On 3 May, 19:34, MIG wrote:

Shame there weren't any decent candidates with a chance.

Well never mind eh. Maybe next time Left List won't bother
resurrecting Nanna Moon to represent them and they might get more than
1/4 the BNP vote.

I'm surprised George Galloway didn't put himself forward , though
perhaps even he knew there weren't enough gullible bengalis in tower
hamlets left to fall for his noble-sacrifice-for-the-people BS routine
to get a look in for this gig.

Interesting guesses.

Actually, the existence of the role is so wrong that the concept of a
decent candidate probably makes no sense. Whoever you vote for, some
politician ends up in a grossly overpowered and anti-democratic role.

They should have a council where representatives of several
constituencies could actually vote on stuff, avoiding whimsical (and
expensive) swings of policy. They could call it, I dunno, the GLC?
Old May 4th 08, 02:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 3, 3:43*pm, MIG wrote:
On May 3, 10:49*pm, Boltar wrote:

On 3 May, 19:34, MIG wrote:

[...]

Nah, Middlesex County Council.

Old May 4th 08, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 May, 23:43, MIG wrote:
On May 3, 10:49*pm, Boltar wrote:

On 3 May, 19:34, MIG wrote:

[...]

Well, considering that more people voted for someone other than Boris
it would be a good idea, I just have this sense of dread that the
nasty party is coming back. But, given that Labour now seems to have
more Conservative ideas that the Conservatives, maybe they have
changed. What are the chances?
Old May 4th 08, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 4, 9:13*am, Railist wrote:
On 3 May, 23:43, MIG wrote:

On May 3, 10:49*pm, Boltar wrote:

On 3 May, 19:34, MIG wrote:

[...]

I tend to think that oppositions can say what they like, but whoever
gets elected will carry out conservative policies.

I would be amused to speculate on what the SWP's, I mean Left List's,
pragmatic argument would be for continuing with PPP, handing over
parts of LU to NR-style franchises etc, but we aren't going to find
out.
Old May 4th 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 4 May 2008 01:13:07 -0700 (PDT), Railist
wrote:

On 3 May, 23:43, MIG wrote:

They should have a council where representatives of several
constituencies could actually vote on stuff, avoiding whimsical (and
expensive) swings of policy. *They could call it, I dunno, the GLC?

Well, considering that more people voted for someone other than Boris

True, but Boris achieved a higher first-round percentage than
Livingstone did in either 2000 or 2004. (Or 2008, obviously.)