Old May 6th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pay parity for bus drivers? was If Boris does win as now

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article
,
(Boltar) wrote:

I suspect the only thing bus driving and train driving have in common
is that the vehicles both have wheels and they jobs are both called
"driving".

Not even that. The job title of the man at the front of a tube train has
been "motorman" for over 1000 years.

Crikey, i knew the tube was old, but ...

tom

--
an expertly crafted mix of practical decision-making and drunken shouting

Old May 6th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . uk,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

Not even that. The job title of the man at the front of a tube train
has been "motorman" for over 1000 years.

Oops! s/1000/100/

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 6th 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 6, 3:19 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Amazing - I wonder what the Anglo-Saxons made of tube trains... If only
they'd concentrated on heavy rail, Harold may have been better placed before
William's invasion...

Nah , he'd have been stuck somewhere north of peterborough - dead
bodies on the line or some such excuse.

B2003

Old May 6th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . uk, Colin
Rosenstiel writes

I suspect the only thing bus driving and train driving have in common
is that the vehicles both have wheels and they jobs are both called
"driving".

Not even that. The job title of the man at the front of a tube train has
been "motorman" for over 1000 years.

According to my contract of employment (and licence) I'm employed as a
Train Operator.
Old May 6th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Boltar writes
On May 6, 2:24 pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

(Boltar) wrote:
I suspect the only thing bus driving and train driving have in common
is that the vehicles both have wheels and they jobs are both called
"driving".

Not even that. The job title of the man at the front of a tube train has
been "motorman" for over 1000 years.

I thought that was an american expression, never heard it used over
here. Even the drivers call themselves drivers.

I've heard it used when referring to traditional *tram* drivers in the
UK (ie Blackpool but not Croydon, if you see what I mean).

I've never heard it used for a "driver" on the London Underground but
that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Any LU staff care to comment?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old May 7th 08, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message
,

(Boltar) wrote:
I suspect the only thing bus driving and train driving have in common
is that the vehicles both have wheels and they jobs are both called
"driving".

Not even that. The job title of the man at the front of a tube train has
been "motorman" for over 1000 years.

I thought that was an american expression, never heard it used over
here. Even the drivers call themselves drivers.

I've heard it used when referring to traditional *tram* drivers in the UK
(ie Blackpool but not Croydon, if you see what I mean).

I've never heard it used for a "driver" on the London Underground but that
doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Any LU staff care to comment?

Pre one person operation the job title was "Motorman", with the term used by
most staff to describe themselves, although if speaking to someone not
conversent with LU jargon the term "Driver" would often avoid confusion.
Post one person operation, the job title changed to "Train Operator" or the
abriviation T/Op. The terms "Operator", "Tee-Op", "Top" & "Driver" are all
used interchangably by staff both between themselves and themselves and in
exchanges with the general public. (Although "Tee-Op" less so). The term
"Motorman" is heard very infrequently thses days.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.