Old May 3rd 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default If Boris does win as now expected

Mystery Flyer wrote:
thoss wrote:
At 13:02:28 on Fri, 2 May 2008 Solario opined:-

On May 2, 12:49 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

What I want to know is how a county, OK region, of seven million
people could have such an abysmal choice of candidates?

Maybe because you didn't stand.

Only 2million voted though - Did 5 million abstain?

The 7 million figure includes children.

Old May 3rd 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Mystery Flyer gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Only 2million voted though - Did 5 million abstain?

45% turnout - which is far more than for the usual local election - even
the last mayoral only saw about 35%.
Old May 3rd 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 12:07:10 on Sat,
3 May 2008, John Rowland
remarked:
Only 2million voted though - Did 5 million abstain?

The 7 million figure includes children.

Turnout was 45% (biggest ever apparently), so with 2.20 million voting
that gives an electorate of 4.88 million.
Old May 3rd 08, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

1506 wrote:
On May 2, 2:13 pm, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
I guess a lot depends on the small number of permanent staff at the GLA, and
the transport commisioner etc. They'll need to brief Boris on the facts of
all the projects - just like when Government changes and all the manifesto
proposals get 'calmed down' by the civil service.

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.
--
Michael Hoffman

The man sounds clueless.

This is a time of great opportunities for London. Boris sounds like
just the guy to miss them.

He is the kind of buffoon who gave the Python team the material for the
Upper class twit of the year show. Be afraid, be very afraid.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management
Old May 3rd 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 3, 10:20*am, Neill wrote:
On May 3, 9:00 am, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:24:33 -0700 (PDT), alex_t

wrote:

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.

I wonder what that means for a certain LUL manager who posts in this
newsgroup :-|

If you're referring to me then probably not a lot in the short term. Who
knows what 18 months will bring. *I expect that people rather more
senior than me will be in the firing line and it will be TfL HQ and
Corporate Departments that will get the most scrutiny initially.

It's when we get bus and tube strikes (both quite likely given the 3
year pay deal for LU has just ended and Unite are demanding pay parity
for bus drivers) that the fun will begin.

--
Paul C

I can just imagine the election taglinea being written in Labour/Lib
Dem headquarters right now. "If this is what happens when one Tory is
in charge, can you imagine a whole government?" If Boris cocks up, and
the consensus seems to be he will, it could well scupper Cameron's
ambitions to be Prime Minister.

He won't cock up. He won't be involved. The party will employ a
bunch of racists and union-bashers and Boris will be forbidden to
speak.

Old May 3rd 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
....what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

Unlike most others in this thread, I'm prepared to give Boris a chance
and judge him by his actions and results as mayor - rather than engage
in rabid scaremongering, dubious fabrications and character
assassination, without even the slightest reference to his manifesto;

http://www.backboris.com/policy/transport/index.php

It should not be forgotten that similar woeful diatribes were gushing
forth in regards to Red Ken's initial appointment and he wasn't the
total disaster that was so widely feared (although that may depend on
how you view the congestion charge, for example).

My main worry is that central government will play party politics and
attempt to scupper progress as much as they can - even with existing
projects that have been committed to.

ESB
Old May 3rd 08, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 2 May, 22:01, Solario wrote:
This is a sad day for London.

It would have been even sadder if that disingenuous whining little
commie prick had stayed in power.

B2003

Old May 3rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 May, 15:30, MIG wrote:
He won't cock up. He won't be involved. The party will employ a
bunch of racists

You sad little ******.

B2003

Old May 3rd 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
23:42:22 on Fri, 2 May 2008, Mwmbwls
remarked:
The major area in which the Government and Boris might
lock horns will be the expansion of Heathrow.

Irrespective of who is for and against it - what's the chances of a third
runway opening before oil is $400 a barrel?

Incidentally, one of the new items in the USA at the moment is airlines
"flying slower" in order to save fuel. One unexpected consequence of that
is the need to make airports more efficient in order to turn the planes
round quicker to make up time.

While on the subject of oil prices - what's the prognosis for the 'special
arrangement' with Venezuela?

Paul