Old May 9th 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Should I get a weekly instead of payg plus daily tickets

I travel from Effingham Junction to Richmond twice a week and to London
Terminals twice a week. I use two buses from London Terminals each way
to work.

Ive been buying daily tickets and using oyster payg for buses each time
but often come perilously close to missing the train.

Richmond and London are different destination zones I know - but is
there some weekly ticket I could buy that provided cover for both plus
buses? I wouldnt mind it being a few quid more. I just want to avoid the
daily queue for tickets.

mf

Old May 9th 08, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mystery Flyer wrote

I travel from Effingham Junction to Richmond twice a week and to

London
Terminals twice a week. I use two buses from London Terminals each

way
to work.

Ive been buying daily tickets and using oyster payg for buses each

time
but often come perilously close to missing the train.

Richmond and London are different destination zones I know - but is
there some weekly ticket I could buy that provided cover for both

plus
buses? I wouldnt mind it being a few quid more. I just want to avoid

the daily queue for tickets.

Avoiding the queue has an easy answer, buy the tickets one or two
nights before either at the station where you start your homeward
jouney or when you reach Effingham Junction.

Otherwise, assuming you are travelling before 09:30 and only four times
a week, I think you can't improve matters without considerable extra
cost. Price a weekly (or four peak day travelcards) from Effingham
Junction to zones 1-6 (which would include your buses of course).

--
Mike D
Old May 9th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
Mystery Flyer wrote

I travel from Effingham Junction to Richmond twice a week and to

London Terminals twice a week. I use two buses from London Terminals each

Ive been buying daily tickets and using oyster payg f

Richmond and London are different destination zones I know - but is
there some weekly ticket I could buy

Avoiding the queue has an easy answer, buy the tickets one or two
nights before either at the station where you start your homeward
jouney or when you reach Effingham Junction.

Otherwise, assuming you are travelling before 09:30 and only four times
a week, I think you can't improve matters without considerable extra
cost. Price a weekly (or four peak day travelcards) from Effingham
Junction to zones 1-6 (which would include your buses of course).

Thanks for your reply - I looked into it. Its pretty grim reading and
would cost me over double and take longer to tube from Wimbledon rather
than SWT from CLJ to RMD so its not worth it...

Guess I'll do the ticket on the way home thing.

Its a shame you cant do this from the SWT ticket machines at Effingham
Junction which is of course closed in the evening - but you can buy
tickets for tomorrow from the Southern ticket machines at Leatherhead
but you cant change the originating station..

Another item for the list of TOC unexplainable differences over things
that should be the same...

mf
Old May 9th 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 09 May 2008 08:51:18 +0100, Mystery Flyer
wrote:

I travel from Effingham Junction to Richmond twice a week and to London
Terminals twice a week. I use two buses from London Terminals each way
to work.

Ive been buying daily tickets and using oyster payg for buses each time
but often come perilously close to missing the train.

Richmond and London are different destination zones I know - but is
there some weekly ticket I could buy that provided cover for both plus
buses? I wouldnt mind it being a few quid more. I just want to avoid the
daily queue for tickets.

If you know the days you'll be travelling then simply buy the day
tickets in advance.

There is not a direct price for a 7 day season from Effingham junction
including Travelcard Zones on the SWT or National Rail site but the
prices for Cobham (station before) are £49.10 for rail only to Waterloo
and £60.90 for rail to the zone boundary and then Z1-6 Travelcard. I'd
guess Effingham was a bit more expensive than those rates - a SWT ticket
office should be able to tell you the right prices or else use Waterloo
Travel Centre if you go into Waterloo.

If you travel off peak then I suspect day tickets would be cheaper. I
assume you have compared the prices of your day returns plus the Oyster
fares against the cost of a Peak Day Travelcard from EJ to Z16 as well
as the Off Peak Day Travelcard from EJ to Z16? It really depends on
whether you want the "ride at will" flexibility a Travelcard gives you
compared to "pay as you go" but for only a limited number of trips once
in London. I'd guess that the 4 bus rides you make are capped at £3 for
the day which offers a small saving too.

--
Paul C

Old May 9th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
Mystery Flyer wrote
[...]

That's odd - I looked at an Effingham Junction to Surbiton weeekly season
(£30ish) + and an all zones travelcard season(£40 odd) - [1], it certainly
wasn't twice what you are paying now (£60odd?), and don't forget an all
zones travelcard season is usable on SWT from Surbiton - CJ - Richmond, it
is only PAYG that isn't available.

[1] because I couldn't look up the price of an EJ - 'all zones' 7 day
travelcard on the net.

Paul

Old May 9th 08, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

Thanks for your reply - I looked into it. Its pretty grim reading and
would cost me over double and take longer to tube from Wimbledon rather
than SWT from CLJ to RMD so its not worth it...

That's odd - I looked at an Effingham Junction to Surbiton weeekly season
(£30ish) + and an all zones travelcard season(£40 odd) - [1], it certainly
wasn't twice what you are paying now (£60odd?), and don't forget an all
zones travelcard season is usable on SWT from Surbiton - CJ - Richmond, it
is only PAYG that isn't available.

[1] because I couldn't look up the price of an EJ - 'all zones' 7 day
travelcard on the net.

Thanks both Pauls for looking. Its made me look again.

I do need to be able to have the flexibility to go via Epsom sometimes
because of the train times home its always nice to be able to get off a
Dorking train at Leatherhead or a Guildford via Epsom train at Bookham.
I also quite often return from Farringdon on FCC to Wimbledon, instead
of using the bus from Waterloo. (Try it sometime - if you're at
Farringdon it can be often be quicker on FCC to Wimbledon than getting
to Waterloo to get to Wimbledon).

So I *think* the optimum tickets would be :-

An EFF to WIM weekly at 40.20 (valid via Surbiton or Epsom according to
journey planner)
A Z1-Z4 TravelCard at 34.60 (valid WIM-CLJ-RMD on SWT cos its not payg,
valid WIM-ZFD on FCC, Valid WIM-London Termnals, Valid Wim DistrictLine
Z1-4)
Total 74.80 per week

Compared to now which is usually:

EFF-London Terminals Peak 12.90 x 2 = 25.80
EFF-RMD Not Via London Peak 11.60 x 2 23.20
4 buses (521 and 38 :-)) 3.00cap x2 = 6.00
Total 55

So the question is whether the extra twenty quid is worth the benefits
of being able to ride at will on my free day and the weekend and take as
many bus and tube rides as I can travelcard my way to....

Id be interested if theres a better way and I really appreciate anyone
whos replied. I didnt understand that non payg could use SWT for example
- thats a huge misunderstanding on my part and Ive been using these
trains for 30 years....

On balance I think it *is* worth it for me to have all that flexibility.

mf
Old May 9th 08, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mystery Flyer wrote

Thanks for your reply - I looked into it. Its pretty grim reading and

would cost me over double and take longer to tube from Wimbledon

rather
than SWT from CLJ to RMD so its not worth it...

As Paul Scott noted, a Z1-6 is valid on SWT/NR as well as tube, bus and
tram.

Buses from Surbiton to Richmond may also be worth a trial (K3/71/281 to
Kingston, Eden St then 65, about 30-40 minutes).

Guess I'll do the ticket on the way home thing.

Its a shame you cant do this from the SWT ticket machines at

Effingham
Junction which is of course closed in the evening - but you can buy
tickets for tomorrow from the Southern ticket machines at Leatherhead

but you cant change the originating station..

SWT plan to upgrade their machines. I think they got set back when they
replaced their first pick by the kind that Southern use.

--
Mike D

Old May 10th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
news
Paul Scott wrote:

[...]

Have I missed something, or is there a reason that Effingham Junction to All
zones weekly travelcard at £65.80 wouldn't be a better idea? It's routed
Any Permitted so looks good for Surbiton or Epsom.

Old May 10th 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Milkshake" wrote in message

Have I missed something, or is there a reason that Effingham Junction to
All zones weekly travelcard at £65.80 wouldn't be a better idea? It's
routed Any Permitted so looks good for Surbiton or Epsom.

No - I pointed out earlier that I couldn't check it's price via a NR OJP
enquiry, so just obtained the two separate costs to indicate it wasn't
likely to be 'double' the OP's current purchase...

Paul