Old May 27th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford to Deptford Bridge

On 27 May, 13:12, brixtonite wrote:
Will the diveunder mean that trains from Bank won't be able to access
the centre platform at Canary Whard to reverse?

No idea. But they'll be coming from the east side rather than the
middle, and I don't think there'll be a non-conflicting route to the
middle platform and back out. It'd be much better to send them south
and have the trains from Poplar direction use the middle platform.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old May 27th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 27 May, 14:35, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 27 May, 13:12, brixtonite wrote:

Will the diveunder mean that trains from Bank won't be able to access
the centre platform at Canary Whard to reverse?

No idea. But they'll be coming from the east side rather than the
middle, and I don't think there'll be a non-conflicting route to the
middle platform and back out. It'd be much better to send them south
and have the trains from Poplar direction use the middle platform.

I don't think there's currently any route from the most eastern
platform at West India Quay to the middle platform at Canary Wharf.

But is there any reason why the current track from Westferry to West
India couldn't be left in place for emergencies and quiet times?
Old May 27th 08, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 May, 16:25, MIG wrote:
But is there any reason why the current track from Westferry to West
India couldn't be left in place for emergencies and quiet times?

1. There isn't a current track from Westferry to West India Quay
(apart from the flyover)
2. At time of writing, there isn't a current track from West India
Quay to Westferry of any kind (apart from going the wrong way over the
flyover).
3. The flyover and dive-under route avoiding West India Quay will only
be used at peak times.
4. It turns out I was completely wrong about the interim state.
They're going to turn Westferry Junction into a flat junction and
demolish the flyover, exactly as you described.

Environmental statement:
http://194.201.98.213/WAM/doc/Other-...df&pageCount=1

Non-technical summary:
http://194.201.98.213/WAM/doc/Other-...df&pageCount=1

(both have before/after track diagrams)

Old May 27th 08, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 27, 11:33*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 27 May, 16:25, MIG wrote:

But is there any reason why the current track from Westferry to West
India couldn't be left in place for emergencies and quiet times?

1. There isn't a current track from Westferry to West India Quay
(apart from the flyover)
2. At time of writing, there isn't a current track from West India
Quay to Westferry of any kind (apart from going the wrong way over the
flyover).

Ah well. If they can describe a derailment as a broken down train, I
spose they can describe a viaduct gone as overrunning engineering
works ...

3. The flyover and dive-under route avoiding West India Quay will only
be used at peak times.

Ah right. That makes sense.

4. It turns out I was completely wrong about the interim state.
They're going to turn Westferry Junction into a flat junction and
demolish the flyover, exactly as you described.

Ah right, but the flat junction is only used when the flyunder isn't
used, ie at quieter times, or that would have been odd (moving the
conflict from one place to another).

But the diagram looks like I'm wrong about demolishing the flyover and
that the peak southbound trains will go over the flyover and then
under the flyunder. If what you said was wrong, it was only about the
other route being interim.

Or maybe it will be a different flyover. I am not clear on what's
being lowered; presumably the current eastern end of the flyover so it
can go under instead of heading for West India Quay.

Old May 30th 08, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Stratford to Deptford Bridge: Update a Bit

On 28 May, 00:19, MIG wrote:
On May 27, 11:33*pm, Mr Thant

wrote:
On 27 May, 16:25, MIG wrote:

[...]

The new flat junction splitting between Poplar and the West Curve
seems to be in place, but not all the (will be two-way) track is in
place yet between there and West India Quay. The flyover to West
India Quay is still there, but out of use.

Both outer platforms at West India Quay are boarded up and out of use.

The track has been removed from the outer southbound platform at West
India Quay, and the single-track viaduct leading to that platform from
Poplar has had a section demolished.

So I am guessing that, from next week, the new flat junction will
become the route to and from West India Quay from and to Westferry,
while work proceeds on diverting the track from the flyover to the
flyunder, which is yet to be built.