Old June 2nd 08, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line/DLR interchange at Bank

I need to get from Balham to London City Airport tomorrow morning. TfL
planner is telling me to go via London Bridge and Canning Town (two
changes).

I know there are interchange problems at Bank, but I understood the
Northern/DLR change is still possible so wouldn't BalhamBankLondon City
be better?

Ian

Old June 2nd 08, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Mon, 2 Jun 2008
09:03:02 in uk.transport.london, Ian F.
writes
I need to get from Balham to London City Airport tomorrow morning. TfL
planner is telling me to go via London Bridge and Canning Town (two
changes).

I know there are interchange problems at Bank, but I understood the
Northern/DLR change is still possible so wouldn't BalhamBankLondon City
be better?

There is a lack of capacity but all interchanges are currently possible.
I was speaking to a Bank/Monument C.S.A. last week and was told there
will be a split into two stations in a couple of weeks.

Car 3 or 4 on the Northbound Northern is likely to be nearest to the
exit to the DLR.

The route via London Bridge and Canning Town shows as 47-49 minutes.
DLR from Bank is 25 minutes and Balham - Bank is 21. Add 5 for the
interchange and the Journey Planner route might be "better". Given the
Jubilee is rammed between London Bridge and Canary Wharf and the
up-and-over interchanges at London Bridge, I would not follow the
Journey Planner in this case.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old June 2nd 08, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Agree - you can still change from Northern to DLR at Bank.
Depending on time of day, there may not be a direct train to LCY from
Bank. But it's a simple same platform connection at Westferry if you
do need to change.
Old June 2nd 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Jun, 09:59, Walter Briscoe wrote:
There is a lack of capacity but all interchanges are currently possible.
I was speaking to a Bank/Monument C.S.A. last week and was told there
will be a split into two stations in a couple of weeks.

I was forwarded a detailed escalator works schedule given to a
passenger group, and it says one of the two Bank to Monument
escalators will be closed from September, but the other will be open
(in the up direction only) if at all possible, as otherwise Northern
Line trains have to non-stop Bank.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...tor-works.html

I don't think there's a scenario where the Northern-DLR interchange
gets closed, but DLR-Northern is sometimes circuitous due to the
Northern Line stairs being on the DLR departures side, and sometimes
they close the gates between the two platforms.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old June 2nd 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

The route via London Bridge and Canning Town shows as 47-49 minutes.
DLR from Bank is 25 minutes and Balham - Bank is 21. Add 5 for the
interchange and the Journey Planner route might be "better". Given the
Jubilee is rammed between London Bridge and Canary Wharf and the
up-and-over interchanges at London Bridge, I would not follow the
Journey Planner in this case.

Many thanks Walter and the other respondents - it's Bank for me.

Ian

Old June 3rd 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...ment-escalator...

I don't think there's a scenario where the Northern-DLR interchange
gets closed, but DLR-Northern is sometimes circuitous due to the
Northern Line stairs being on the DLR departures side, and sometimes
they close the gates between the two platforms.

For some reason, they also (at busy times) barrier the entrance to the
departure platform so that from the bottom of the Northern Line stairs
you then have to go all the way to the other end of the DLR departure
platform via the area between DLR platforms. I can't work out what
that achieves. Everyone still arrives at one point, but later.
Old June 4th 08, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:41:54 in uk.transport.london, MIG
writes
On 2 Jun, 10:43, Mr Thant
wrote:

[snip]

I don't think there's a scenario where the Northern-DLR interchange
gets closed, but DLR-Northern is sometimes circuitous due to the
Northern Line stairs being on the DLR departures side, and sometimes
they close the gates between the two platforms.

For some reason, they also (at busy times) barrier the entrance to the
departure platform so that from the bottom of the Northern Line stairs
you then have to go all the way to the other end of the DLR departure
platform via the area between DLR platforms. I can't work out what
that achieves. Everyone still arrives at one point, but later.

Why not ask for the reason at the Supervisors' Office/Control Room?
(It is in the Monument Ticket Hall by the Fish Street Hill entrance.)

I hit on an enthusiast answering the 'phone at 020 7222 1234.
(I had been looking for a hard copy of the Conditions of Carriage.)
I asked about the Journey Planner not routing from the Northern line to
the DLR through Bank. I was told it was the result of s software
limitation. Either Bank is an interchange or not. Partial interchange is
not supported. I could ask at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=tfl or at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp, but have little
confidence in the quality of answers. e.g. I have been falsely told
that: Circle and H&C carriage line diagrams show stair free access to
the street at King's Cross St Pancras; there is a Tube map on Kensal
Green's Northbound platform.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old June 4th 08, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:00:55 on Wed, 4
Jun 2008, Walter Briscoe remarked:
I have been falsely told that: Circle and H&C carriage line diagrams
show stair free access to the street at King's Cross St Pancras; there
is a Tube map on Kensal Green's Northbound platform.

I was looking at the Street map on the wall at the new St Pancras
western ticket hall recently, and it still shows KX-Thameslink station.
I suppose it's still available for use as an entrance to the tube lines,
but it ought to be made clearer that it's not the place to catch an FCC
train any more.
Old June 4th 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 4 Jun, 08:00, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message
of
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:41:54 in uk.transport.london, MIG
writes

On 2 Jun, 10:43, Mr Thant
wrote:

[snip]

I don't think there's a scenario where the Northern-DLR interchange
gets closed, but DLR-Northern is sometimes circuitous due to the
Northern Line stairs being on the DLR departures side, and sometimes
they close the gates between the two platforms.

For some reason, they also (at busy times) barrier the entrance to the
departure platform so that from the bottom of the Northern Line stairs
you then have to go all the way to the other end of the DLR departure
platform via the area between DLR platforms. *I can't work out what
that achieves. *Everyone still arrives at one point, but later.

Why not ask for the reason at the Supervisors' Office/Control Room?
(It is in the Monument Ticket Hall by the Fish Street Hill entrance.)

My curiosity does not tempt me to miss several DLR trains in order to
go there (or maybe I should go via Canary Wharf and Westminster or
something). Anyway, why ask for information at a station whose staff
tell people to stay on the Northern to Moorgate if they want the
Central Line, despite there being an unhindered interchange at Bank?

I hit on an enthusiast answering the 'phone at 020 7222 1234.
(I had been looking for a hard copy of the Conditions of Carriage.)
I asked about the Journey Planner not routing from the Northern line to
the DLR through Bank. I was told it was the result of s software
limitation. Either Bank is an interchange or not. Partial interchange is
not supported. I could ask at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=tfl or at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp, but have little
confidence in the quality of answers. e.g. I have been falsely told
that: Circle and H&C carriage line diagrams show stair free access to
the street at King's Cross St Pancras; there is a Tube map on Kensal
Green's Northbound platform.

I recently got surveyed on the DLR and made sure to give 0 out of 10
for information at Bank and got in a rant about the lies we are being
told.

--
Walter Briscoe