Old October 21st 13, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bank station: DLR - Northern interchange?

Dear all

Sorry to be a bore, but having been avoiding Bank and the Northern for
two or three years I need to go from Woolwich Arsenal to Euston
tomorrow morning, arriving at Euston by 10.10. My "tin leg" is not sure
which way to go

Journey Planner tells me that via Bank is the fastest and least changes
for pax with no mobility issues
But DirectEnquiries.com tells me there are 32+33 steps between the DLR
and Northern lines.

If I "can use escalators but not stairs" she wants me to go either via
Green Park or Stratford - StP, both of which seem long ways round (and
of course the Highspeed leg would cost full fare, since the Freedom
Pass is not valid and it would be before the Senior Railcard applies)

London Bridge is hard work in the rush hour when I use a walking stick
and carry bags.

Is there an alternative at Bank – involving fewer steps, not
necessarily step-free.
Or another, easier alternative route?

TIA

Kenw

Old October 21st 13, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

kenw wrote:
[...]

When I look on a Journey Planner, it seems to be just as quick to change at
Green Park as at Bank, so that's probably the best option. Obviously your
Freedom Pass will apply for the whole journey.

For example, if you leave Woolwich Arsenal at 9:13, you get to Euston at
9:58 via Canning Town and Green Park, or 9:59 via Bank. This is with the
"slow walking" option set.
Old October 21st 13, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/10/2013 08:02, kenw wrote:
Dear all

Sorry to be a bore, but having been avoiding Bank and the Northern for
two or three years I need to go from Woolwich Arsenal to Euston tomorrow
morning, arriving at Euston by 10.10. My "tin leg" is not sure which way
to go

Journey Planner tells me that via Bank is the fastest and least changes
for pax with no mobility issues
But DirectEnquiries.com tells me there are 32+33 steps between the DLR
and Northern lines.

Is there an alternative at Bank – involving fewer steps, not necessarily
step-free.
Or another, easier alternative route?

How many is "too many" in steps terms?

The standard route from the DLR to the Northern Line is from the first
door past the divide in the first unit of the DLR, diagonally out left,
turn left down the corridor, up the escalator, do a hairpin turn right
back on yourself and down about 20 steps to the north end of the
Northern Line platforms.

I think the escalator can be bypassed via the lift if it's working.

I *think* it is suggesting that you take the steps up from the eastern
end (who knows if it really is, but it's where the front of the train
leaving Bank is) of the DLR platforms which end up mid-platform on the
Northern Line. These are, I think, meant for the other interchange only
- I certainly rarely encounter people going up them (DLR-Northern) but
lots going down (Northern-DLR)
Old October 21st 13, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:02:03 +0100, kenw wrote:

Dear all

Sorry to be a bore, but having been avoiding Bank and the Northern for
two or three years I need to go from Woolwich Arsenal to Euston
tomorrow morning, arriving at Euston by 10.10. My "tin leg" is not sure
which way to go

Is there an alternative at Bank – involving fewer steps, not
necessarily step-free.
Or another, easier alternative route?

It's difficult given so many routes will be very busy.

Woolwich - Canning Town - Green Park - Euston can be done with
escalators / lifts but clearly the tube elements will be busy.

Will the westbound Jubilee be packed as early as Canning Town?

An alternative is Woolwich - Stratford - Highbury and Islington -
Euston. There are steps at Highbury between the connecting corridor
and Victoria line platforms. There are lifts to / from the Overground
at Stratford and Highbury plus a down escalator at Highbury. The only
disadvantage may be the walking distance at Stratford between DLR and
Overground.

Is the H&I escalator work finished yet?
Old October 21st 13, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dear all

Thanks much to all.

I think the "escalator hairpin" wins

My neighbour who commutes to Angel finally responded to a weekend email
and has just confirmed that this is within my limited capability – he
has seen me using both local buses and DLR.

Ken

Old October 21st 13, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message
, Recliner writes
It's difficult given so many routes will be very busy.

Woolwich - Canning Town - Green Park - Euston can be done with
escalators / lifts but clearly the tube elements will be busy.

Will the westbound Jubilee be packed as early as Canning Town?

Very much so!

I suppose one (slower) option would be to take the DLR all the way to
Stratford, then stroll across to the adjacent Jubilee line platforms to
board an empty train at the start of the journey.
Old October 22nd 13, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:06:43 +0100, kenw wrote:

Dear all

Thanks much to all.

I think the "escalator hairpin" wins

My neighbour who commutes to Angel finally responded to a weekend email
and has just confirmed that this is within my limited capability – he
has seen me using both local buses and DLR.

So how did the journey work out?
Old October 26th 13, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-10-22 11:09:24 +0000, Recliner said:

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:06:43 +0100, kenw wrote:

Dear all

Thanks much to all.

I think the "escalator hairpin" wins

My neighbour who commutes to Angel finally responded to a weekend email
and has just confirmed that this is within my limited capability – he
has seen me using both local buses and DLR.

So how did the journey work out?

Bank's escalator and hairpin is OK for those without too much luggage
- and even better is using the lift rather than the escalator.

On the return I had an extra bag, and mis-timed my arrival to the
evening rush-hour, which is not recommended.

I think next time I will try Stratford Intl - StP and take the bus
rather than trek along Euston Road

But thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions

Ken

Old November 1st 13, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, October 21, 2013 8:41:25 AM UTC+1, Someone Somewhere wrote:

I *think* it is suggesting that you take the steps up from the eastern
end (who knows if it really is, but it's where the front of the train
leaving Bank is) of the DLR platforms which end up mid-platform on the
Northern Line. These are, I think, meant for the other interchange only
- I certainly rarely encounter people going up them (DLR-Northern) but
lots going down (Northern-DLR)

It's heavily used in both directions at morning and evening peaks.

Ganesh