Old June 28th 08, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another Oyster scam

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:43:44 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:40:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I could hardly believe, last week, when I tried to buy a One Day
Travelcard at my local newsgent, who had sold them for many years,
that they are no longer available there! The equipment, he told me, as
I could see, had been removed and all he can now do is add credit to
Oyster cards, or sell weekly etc. tickets on Oyster.

This is an outrageous scam by T.F.L., which means I now would now lose
£1 credit on my Oyster in order to get a bus to my local station which
is, presumably, the only place I can now buy a One Day Travelcard.
Does anyone know why one can't get a One Day Travelcard on Oyster?

It's funny that bus drivers don't even seem to know that this is now
the case, since my father when he tried bought a ticket on the bus one
morning was told by the driver that it would be cheaper for him to by
a One Day Bus Pass at the same newsagents!

M.M.

Why do you need a One Day Travelcard?

Because you are going on National Rail.

Probably about 50% of people have to do this each day.

tim

I think we've established that now. I would be very surprised if it
was 50% though (of users of One Day Travelcards that is, not total
commuters).

Old June 28th 08, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:43:44 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Why not. The majority of people living in South London have no underground
line that they can reasonably use. Neither do people who live in Ilford,
Romford, Chingford, Enfield, Southall etc.

tim

Old June 28th 08, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:33:09 +0100, Scott
wrote:

Why do you need a One Day Travelcard?

To travel on mainline rail.

I suspect the paper ODTC will be abolished once you can, but in the
meantime it should not be limited in its availability.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old June 28th 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:57:22 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

TfL are switching over the ticket issuing equipment to one which deals
with Oyster but cannot print tickets. For those ticket products which
would ordinarily be printed TfL are now using pre-encoded ticket stock
which the agent has to date stamp.

Very Dutch. But if they're pre-encoded isn't that an opportunity for
someone to use one through automatic barriers on multiple days? Or
are they given different dates on sale or return, or perhaps do they
encode themselves on first use?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old June 28th 08, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:12:43 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I dunno. I have no idea. You would need to look at ths statistics.
Remember that One Day Travelcards are unlikely to be purchased by
commuters (who probably work more than one day a week) and many will
be purchased by visitors and tourists (who I suspect are more likely
to use tubes and buses than trains).

Old June 28th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
TfL are switching over the ticket issuing equipment to one which deals
with Oyster but cannot print tickets. For those ticket products which
would ordinarily be printed TfL are now using pre-encoded ticket stock
which the agent has to date stamp.

Very Dutch. *But if they're pre-encoded isn't that an opportunity for
someone to use one through automatic barriers on multiple days? *Or
are they given different dates on sale or return, or perhaps do they
encode themselves on first use?

I'm sure that I've seen travelcards issued like this in the dim and
distant past (from out of the zones though). I believe that the ticket
gets the magnetic strip encoded with the date the first time it goes
through a gate, so it can't be used on a following occasion.
Old June 29th 08, 06:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
DRH DRH is offline

On Jun 28, 11:42*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:24:17 GMT, (Neil

wrote:

TfL are switching over the ticket issuing equipment to one which deals
with Oyster but cannot print tickets. For those ticket products which
would ordinarily be printed TfL are now using pre-encoded ticket stock
which the agent has to date stamp.

Very Dutch. *But if they're pre-encoded isn't that an opportunity for
someone to use one through automatic barriers on multiple days? *Or
are they given different dates on sale or return, or perhaps do they
encode themselves on first use?

Your final option - updated coding on first entry - is correct. All
tickets and smartcards are updated whenever there is a valid transaction
at a ticket vending or validation device.
--
Paul C

The fact that this very issue - "Oyster Ticket Stop" agents with new
Oyster-only equipment, denying they can sell a ODTC (when they should
have been supplied with pre-encoded stock to do so) has come up on
other discussion groups, suggests this is not an isolated problem.
Training / communication / logistics ? Who knows?

Not a scam, but poor customer service.

DRH
Old June 29th 08, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:42:54 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Your final option - updated coding on first entry - is correct. All
tickets and smartcards are updated whenever there is a valid transaction
at a ticket vending or validation device.

Except National Rail barriers, surely? I was fairly sure they were a
read-only technology. Or is it just understood that they'll probably
end up used on the Tube first anyway, otherwise they'd have probably
been bought from a mainline ticket office instead?

Similarly, does a Tube barrier write to a NR-encoded Travelcard?
Again, I thought it couldn't.

Neil

--
Neil Williams