Old September 14th 03, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

To get from Enfield to Cricklewood either go round the North Circular
anti-clockwise to Henly's Corner, then go through Temple Fortune and
Golders Green, or take the M25 anti-clockwise to South Mimms and then
take the A1 and the A41. The M25 approach adds some miles but would
probably be quicker than relying on the North Circular

To get from Enfield to Cricklewood try aiming to cross the North
Circular Road into Brownlow Road (B106) and follow that road to
Muswell Hill and then you'll be aiming to join the A504 Fortis Green
and there are many ways to get there, either through Dukes Avenue or
through Pages Lane and Tetherdown or Pages Lane, Creighton Avenue and
eventually Twyford Avenue.

Turn left out of Fortis Green into East Finchley High Road then past
the station and right into Bishops Avenue, then across the A1 and
right into Hampstead Lane which becomes Spaniards Road when you reach
the arch. At the roundabout continue ahead (briefly the A502 for a few
seconds) and at the pond turn right into the slip road and right again
into West Heath Road, round the bends and left into Platts Lane, then
at the next mini-roundabout take the right fork which is Hermitage
Lane and becomes Cricklewood Lane (A407) when you cross Finchley Road.
Cross also the A41 and Claremont Road / Westbere Road junction and
take a little "rat-run" left through Elm Grove and right into Ash
Grove to avoid the traffic light, left onto the A5 Cricklewood
Broadwaythen right into Walm Lane, then left into Lydford Road (Keyes
Road is closed off, in spite of what many maps show). Follow this road
which becomes Sidmouth Road and then Chamberlayne Road and at a double
mini-roundabout take the right branch at the second one into All Souls
Avenue.

Old September 14th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

But when I went that way the other day I wanted to turn right onto
Westbridge Road (the road that leads up to the heliport) but it's a
banned right turn - does anyone know if it's possible to turn right onto
Battersea Church Road ??

Yes. That's the route I use. Although the lights where you join Vicarage
Road can be a bit slow sometimes.

To get to Putney from here, I'd turn left at the first lights after you
join Yorks road, into Plough Lane. Turn right at the South Circular (can
sometimes be slow) then left at the next lights into Spencer Park/Windmill
Road/ Earlsfield Road/Penwith Road. Right at the T junction into Merton
Road then 4th left into Replingham Road. Follow this to the top of the
hill past Southfields station and turn right into Beaumont Road. This
brings you out on the A3 just before Tibbet's Corner going south, and you
can go round the roundabout and approach Putney down Putney Hill. Of
course it depends on which part of Putney you're going to and the traffic
in general, but this route is fairly free flowing.

Well the part of Putney I was going to is only really accessible from Lower
Richmond Road, so that wouldn't have been a great help, though it quite
possibly could have been if it avoided the Kings Road at the moment - I
could always have gone around the A205 and down Gipsy Lane to Queens Ride
and around that way.

Also, are all of the roads you've mentioned speed hump free?? That's one
big PITA I find in so many of the shortcut roads around South London
(particularly in the A24 corridor around Tooting/Colliers Wood).

Peter

Old September 14th 03, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
PK PK is offline

AstraVanMan wrote:
Also, are all of the roads you've mentioned speed hump free?? That's
one big PITA I find in so many of the shortcut roads around South
London (particularly in the A24 corridor around Tooting/Colliers
Wood).

Merton, the Sargasso sea for road humps, they come here to breed!

pk

Old September 14th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

But if you are on the A10 (Great Cambridge Road) then you'd be better
off joining the A1080 up to Wood Green then join the A105 to Manor
House and the A503 there.

That's Green Lanes through Harringay isn't it? Not too keen on that myself.

Me neither, which is why I suggested the parallel Wightman Road.

If you don't fancy the A105 between Wood Green and Manor House then
you could use A504 to Hornsey and the parallel Wightman Road to the
top then left into Endymion Road to rejoin the A105, or alternatively
take the A504 a bit further then left into A103 Tottenham Lane and
through Crouch End and Hornsey Road until you rejoin the A503.

Has Wightman Road got speed humps?

Wightman Road itself has no speed humps but all the roads connecting
it with Green Lanes do, together with 20mph speed limit and are one
way, except for Hornsey High Road (A504) and Endymion Road.

Cheers for all this - all this knowledge will come in very handy one day.

I have done these routes many times.

Old September 15th 03, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article ,
AstraVanMan wrote:
Also, are all of the roads you've mentioned speed hump free?? That's one
big PITA I find in so many of the shortcut roads around South London
(particularly in the A24 corridor around Tooting/Colliers Wood).

Penwith Road has humps, and Beaumont Road has gentle ramps.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old September 15th 03, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:39:38 GMT, Steve wrote:

Personally, I'd go Enfield Lock - Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Putney
Bridge 1 hour 1 minute.

By train (note I'm reading this in uk.transport.london) wouldn't it
make more sense to stay on the Victoria Line to Vauxhall, then go to
Putney by South West Trains.

Indeed. I go that way from King's Cross to Putney where I was brought up.
I still visit my parents regularly. It's alright until i stay overnight
when there is a large fare differential between tickets valid on tube and
SWT.

Driving, I'd be inclined to skirt London to the west and go through
Cricklewood - All Souls Avenue - White City, then onto the A3220, down
North End Road and Fulham Road to Putney Bridge. (You could cross
Wandsworth Bridge and go along Putney Bridge Road as an alternative
but I don't think there's anything in it in terms of likelihood of
hitting jams).

I used to use that route driving from Cambridge to Putney via the A1/A41.
Never thought of going that far along North End Road and used to go via
Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith Broadway and Fulham Palace Road. I gave up
because Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith Broadway got worse and worse and
switched to the M11, A12, Tower Bridge, Elephant and Castle, Vauxhall,
Battersea Park Road and the Wandsworth one-way system. My parents live
near East Putney tube.

To get from Enfield to Cricklewood either go round the North Circular
anti-clockwise to Henly's Corner, then go through Temple Fortune and
Golders Green, or take the M25 anti-clockwise to South Mimms and then
take the A1 and the A41. The M25 approach adds some miles but would
probably be quicker than relying on the North Circular

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 15th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:57 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

Driving, I'd be inclined to skirt London to the west and go through
Cricklewood - All Souls Avenue - White City, then onto the A3220, down
North End Road and Fulham Road to Putney Bridge. (You could cross
Wandsworth Bridge and go along Putney Bridge Road as an alternative
but I don't think there's anything in it in terms of likelihood of
hitting jams).

I used to use that route driving from Cambridge to Putney via the A1/A41.
Never thought of going that far along North End Road and used to go via
Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith Broadway and Fulham Palace Road. I gave up
because Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith Broadway got worse and worse and
switched to the M11, A12, Tower Bridge, Elephant and Castle, Vauxhall,
Battersea Park Road and the Wandsworth one-way system. My parents live
near East Putney tube.

I used that route then Hammersmith Broadway until the gap at the east
end of Shepherd's Bush Green was closed sometime in the 1990s, and
would still go view Hammersmith if I were driving *from* Putney to
Cricklewood and points north. But going south, now you are forced at
Shepherd's Bush to go as far east as the roundabout at the south end
of the A3220, so you might as well go down North End Road in that
direction.

Martin

Old September 16th 03, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:57 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

[...]

I went down the A3220 (then the A41(M) IIRC) and then round Shepherd's
Bush Green.

--
Colin Rosenstiel