Old August 19th 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default TfL Admits Livingstone Regime Deliberately Obstructed TrafficFlows

On 18 Aug, 23:48, "Mortimer" wrote:
That tactic is not confined to London and Mad Ken. The A329(M)
Reading-Bracknell-via-M4 motorway was downgraded to an A road - I think just
the bit between Winnersh and the A4 - so they could designate Lane 1 as a
bus lane for exclusive use by park and ride buses.

Hmm. What's the pink bit in the middle of the M4 on the way in from
Heathrow, then?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old August 19th 08, 12:54 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 19, 12:46*am, "Richard J." wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

Strange, I'd always got the impression that you were in favour of
more people being allowed to travel easily by road between
various points in London? Maybe I've misunderstood.

That does not include allowing pedestrians, cyclists,
horses-and-carts, moped-riders and milk-floats to use motorways.

Which motorway is such traffic allowed to use?

The former A40(M), M41 and A102(M) - or at least, the automatic
motorway restrictions no longer apply.
All achieved by stripping those roads of their motorway status and
handing them over to Mad Ken.

So they're not motorways?

I was wondering whether you would try that line.

They used to be motorways and had the traffic-flow efficiencies of
that category.

Then they were reclassified as non-motorways precisely so that Mad Ken
could get his grubby mitts on them

Actually it was in order to have a sensible division of responsibilities
between Transport for London and the DfT/Highways Agency. *It wouldn't have
made much sense, for example, to have the DfT responsible for a few miles of
isolated motorway in West London on routes which were otherwise being
transferred to TfL. *Still, I guess it's more satisfying for you to make
cheap jokes about the previous Mayor.

They don't seem to have noticed that the election is over. Or maybe
it's a distraction from what's happening (or ceasing to happen) under
the Tories.
Old August 19th 08, 01:08 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
On 18 Aug, 23:48, "Mortimer" wrote:
That tactic is not confined to London and Mad Ken. The A329(M)
Reading-Bracknell-via-M4 motorway was downgraded to an A road - I
think just the bit between Winnersh and the A4 - so they could
designate Lane 1 as a bus lane for exclusive use by park and ride
buses.

Hmm. What's the pink bit in the middle of the M4 on the way in from
Heathrow, then?

At the time that A329(M) became A3290 west of Loddon Bridge, bus lanes on
motorways weren't allowed. The regs must have been changed after then, and
I think the first motorway bus lane was on the M4 airport spur leading into
Heathrow, followed by the eastbound one on the main M4 carriageway.
--
Richard J.

Old August 19th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

Strange, I'd always got the impression that you were in favour of
more people being allowed to travel easily by road between
various points in London? Maybe I've misunderstood.

That does not include allowing pedestrians, cyclists,
horses-and-carts, moped-riders and milk-floats to use motorways.

Which motorway is such traffic allowed to use?

The former A40(M), M41 and A102(M) - or at least, the automatic
motorway restrictions no longer apply.
All achieved by stripping those roads of their motorway status and
handing them over to Mad Ken.

So they're not motorways?

I was wondering whether you would try that line.

They used to be motorways and had the traffic-flow efficiencies of
that category.

Then they were reclassified as non-motorways precisely so that Mad Ken
could get his grubby mitts on them and downgrade the speed limits,
narrow them, or anything else of the sort of thing you'd expexct from
him (he never had authority over any of the London motorways - eg, M1,
M3(?), M4, M40, M11 - except the ones which were nobbled and handed
over to him.

I used the Westway in both directions yesterday and noticed no diminuation
in traffic capacity compared to their previous status. In fact the only
change I saw was in the designation and numbering of the road and the
consequent alteration in the direction sign colour.

What is your evidence that there has been any such diminuation? Is there any
point to your ranting other than to poitlessly and unjustifiably castigate
Livingstone?

Old August 19th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

I used the Westway in both directions yesterday and noticed no diminuation
in traffic capacity compared to their previous status. In fact the only
change I saw was in the designation and numbering of the road and the
consequent alteration in the direction sign colour.

What is your evidence that there has been any such diminuation? Is there any
point to your ranting other than to poitlessly and unjustifiably castigate
Livingstone?

Have you seen the former M41 (with nearly half the road space snaffled
for other purposes)?

Have you not seen the reduction of the speed limit on the former A102(M)
(now plain A102 south of the river and A12 north of it?

Old August 19th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

I used the Westway in both directions yesterday and noticed no
diminuation in traffic capacity compared to their previous status.
In fact the only change I saw was in the designation and numbering
of the road and the consequent alteration in the direction sign
colour.

What is your evidence that there has been any such diminuation? Is
there any point to your ranting other than to poitlessly and
unjustifiably castigate Livingstone?

Have you seen the former M41 (with nearly half the road space snaffled
for other purposes)?

I know of no road, either now nor previously, designated as the "M41".

Have you not seen the reduction of the speed limit on the former
A102(M) (now plain A102 south of the river and A12 north of it?

I haven't been to that area for very many years.

Old August 19th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

I used the Westway in both directions yesterday and noticed no
diminuation in traffic capacity compared to their previous status.
In fact the only change I saw was in the designation and numbering
of the road and the consequent alteration in the direction sign
colour.

What is your evidence that there has been any such diminuation? Is
there any point to your ranting other than to poitlessly and
unjustifiably castigate Livingstone?

Have you seen the former M41 (with nearly half the road space
snaffled for other purposes)?

I know of no road, either now nor previously, designated as the "M41".

It's the A3220 West Cross Route at Shepherd's Bush. It's been reduced from
three to two lanes in each direction, so "nearly half" is an exaggeration.
It doesn't seem to have affected capacity or journey times, which depend on
the roundabouts at each end.

--
Richard J.

Old August 19th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message
JNugent wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

I used the Westway in both directions yesterday and noticed no
diminuation in traffic capacity compared to their previous status.
In fact the only change I saw was in the designation and numbering
of the road and the consequent alteration in the direction sign
colour.

What is your evidence that there has been any such diminuation? Is
there any point to your ranting other than to poitlessly and
unjustifiably castigate Livingstone?

Have you seen the former M41 (with nearly half the road space snaffled
for other purposes)?

I know of no road, either now nor previously, designated as the "M41".

It's the short spur (probably only about a mile) from the A40 southwards to
Shepherd's Bush roundabout.

Old August 19th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Mortimer wrote:

Shepherd's Bush roundabout.

Holland Park Roundabout!

Old August 19th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Mortimer wrote:

Shepherd's Bush roundabout.

Holland Park Roundabout!

Oh, is it called Holland Park roundabout? I always thought it was called SB
roundabout, since it's only a hundred yards or so from SB shopping centre -
the one which used to have a huge cutout of an HST on either side of the
footbridge - and SB Common and SB LT and NR stations.

But you're right: I've just checked on Multimap. I stand corrected!