Old August 16th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default TfL Admits Livingstone Regime Deliberately Obstructed Traffic Flows

"asdf" wrote in message

I dunno, surely it goes without saying that, all else being equal,
there's less congestion with the charge than there would be without
it?

Dose it?

Old August 16th 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Depresion wrote:
"asdf" wrote in message
I dunno, surely it goes without saying that, all else being equal,
there's less congestion with the charge than there would be without
it?

Dose it?

What with?

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old August 17th 08, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 16 Aug, 14:48, (Steve Firth) wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/634.htm

I'm not sure who the Association of British Drivers are, so I'm not sure how
much to read into this.

It's hardly news. Anyone working in transport/telematics already knew
that Livingstone had issued an edict that the lights across London were
to be rephased to cause congestion prior to the introduction of the
congestion charge. In fact I stated this was what was happening here at
the time and had the usual cabal of ****wits and some who should have
known better screaming that it was a lie.

Road congestion is primarily caused by too many cars and if left to
its own devices would be self-limiting. Indeed it could even result in
a reduction of car travel as motorists get fed up with so many delays
they are themselves responsible for. Unfortunately, our road spaces
are allowed to be demand driven resulting in perpetual roadbuilding
and widening and tinkering to the detriment of the environment and
quality of life of many people.

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Old August 17th 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
[...]

What new roads have been built in London (inside the M25) over the last
(say) ten years Doug?

Old August 17th 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
[...]

As i travel around South London a lot, you would have thought that I
would have noticed the 'perpetual roadbuilding and widening and
tinkering', but apart from a few new residential roads being built at
the same time as new housing I can think of none.
There is very little if any road widening taking place.
The majority of 'tinkering' is to stop up roads (leaving cycle
access)lowering speed limits & creating one way streets. This is usually
to stop rat runs & protect schools.
Woolwich is on of the worst areas at the moment with road tinkering &
that is to allow the extension of the DLR.

I hope you will still be able to cycle with your damaged foot, the one
you just shot yourself in.
--
Tony the Dragon

Old August 17th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , Tony Dragon
writes
I hope you will still be able to cycle with your damaged foot, the one
you just shot yourself in.

That's Doug 'Colander Foot' Bollen you're talking to.

--
Ed Banger
Old August 17th 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
[...]

Do wake up!

Why cherry pick London where there isn't sufficient space available to
build new roads but M25 widening still seems to be ongoing? Over the
rest of UK there are loads of roads continually being built or
widened.

"Cost of Britain's road-building projects soars by almost £4bn

By Michael Savage
Saturday, 16 August 2008

Britain's road-building programme will cost the taxpayer billions of
pounds more than expected, with some major projects more than doubling
in price in five years, research indicates.

Figures compiled by the Campaign for Better Transport (CBT) pressure
group showed that 41 road projects which had been calculated to cost
£4.45bn will now cost taxpayers £8.12bn – a rise of almost 83 per
cent.

Critics blame the Highways Agency, maintaining that at the time the
projects were approved it made major errors in its calculation of
inflation and the likely costs of materials, labour and compensation
for homeowners. The study revealed that improvements to one stretch of
the A14 between Ellington and Fen Ditton in Cambridgeshire had risen
from an estimated £490m in 2003 to £1.2bn..."

Mo

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...bn-898981.html

Old August 17th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message
, Doug
writes
John Rowland wrote:
[...]

Since you claim to live in London, Brimmy was just inviting you to write
on what you know about (which, let's face it, isn't very much).

Over the
rest of UK there are loads of roads continually being built or
widened.

"Cost of Britain's road-building projects soars by almost £4bn

That was an article about cost over-runs of existing road projects
rather than a surge in new projects, Duhg.

--
Ed Banger
Old August 17th 08, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article c8cc6ed1-5611-4671-ba3a-
, Doug says...
John Rowland wrote:
http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/634.htm

I'm not sure who the Association of British Drivers are, so I'm not sure how
much to read into this.

It's hardly news. Anyone working in transport/telematics already knew
that Livingstone had issued an edict that the lights across London were
to be rephased to cause congestion prior to the introduction of the
congestion charge. In fact I stated this was what was happening here at
the time and had the usual cabal of ****wits and some who should have
known better screaming that it was a lie.

Road congestion is primarily caused by too many cars and if left to
its own devices would be self-limiting. Indeed it could even result in
a reduction of car travel as motorists get fed up with so many delays
they are themselves responsible for.

Until PT can step up to the plate, it'll never happen.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old August 17th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article 5a4a808e-6952-481d-b554-3098a9ed7a79@
59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, Doug says...

Why cherry pick London where there isn't sufficient space available to
build new roads but M25 widening still seems to be ongoing?

Where is this widening happening, Doug? I can't recall seeing any this
year.

Over the
rest of UK there are loads of roads continually being built or
widened.

Actually, only a few stretches of the M1 are, Doug.