London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2008
Posts: 4
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?


"AES" wrote in message
...
Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.


I'm guessing that you're heading to Ireland. I managed to book a complete
London-Cork journey (on Virgin, Stena and Ironhorse Eire or whatever it is)
at the Virgin Trains booking counter at Euston, but in person.

Crossposted to likely more helpful groups.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore



  #2   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

In message , grusl
writes

"AES" wrote in message
...
Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.


I'm guessing that you're heading to Ireland. I managed to book a complete
London-Cork journey (on Virgin, Stena and Ironhorse Eire or whatever it is)
at the Virgin Trains booking counter at Euston, but in person.

Crossposted to likely more helpful groups.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore


Probably one of the increasing numbers of travel sites making it
difficult/impossible for anyone with a different country's credit card
to book. (It happens in the other direction as well: for example,
Hawaiian air doesn't accept UK credit cards.) You could email a contact
address on Virgin and ask what to do (Hawaiian gave an agent to contact)
or find someone in the UK to do it for you and pay them back when you
get here or on paypal. If the Holyhead means you are going on to
Ireland, you could see if there is an Irish website that will do it.

Good luck
--
---
Sheila Page
  #3   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2007
Posts: 9
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

grusl wrote:

"AES" wrote in message
...
Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.


I'm guessing that you're heading to Ireland. I managed to book a complete
London-Cork journey (on Virgin, Stena and Ironhorse Eire or whatever it is)
at the Virgin Trains booking counter at Euston, but in person.

Crossposted to likely more helpful groups.


www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad- and
even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on it.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
onus is on them to show that there is anything there to talk about.
Otherwise they should just shut up about it." -Richard Dawkins
  #4   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
grusl wrote:

"AES" wrote in message
...
Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.

I'm guessing that you're heading to Ireland. I managed to book a complete
London-Cork journey (on Virgin, Stena and Ironhorse Eire or whatever it is)
at the Virgin Trains booking counter at Euston, but in person.

Crossposted to likely more helpful groups.


www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad- and
even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on it.

Thanks, David - that's useful information.
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2007
Posts: 9
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

S Viemeister wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
grusl wrote:

"AES" wrote in message
...
Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.
I'm guessing that you're heading to Ireland. I managed to book a complete
London-Cork journey (on Virgin, Stena and Ironhorse Eire or whatever it is)
at the Virgin Trains booking counter at Euston, but in person.

Crossposted to likely more helpful groups.


www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad- and
even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on it.

Thanks, David - that's useful information.


You're welcome- to be clear, I haven't booked from outside the UK
myself, but they make it clear it should be possible, as they give the
option for people outside the UK to pick up the ticket from the machine
in the station- in this case London Euston.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
onus is on them to show that there is anything there to talk about.
Otherwise they should just shut up about it." -Richard Dawkins


  #6   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

In uk.transport.london David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)
wrote:
www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad- and
even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on it.


Make sure you get a train ticket, not a bus ticket! (They do both).
http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ is the train booking site.

I don't think they'll post you the tickets, but you can select to collect
them from a machine at the station. Take the credit card you used to book
them with you as you'll probably need to use that in the machine.

Theo
  #7   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,146
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

In uk.transport.london David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)
wrote:
www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad-
and even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on
it.


Make sure you get a train ticket, not a bus ticket! (They do both).
http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ is the train booking site.

I don't think they'll post you the tickets, but you can select to
collect them from a machine at the station. Take the credit card you
used to book them with you as you'll probably need to use that in the
machine.


You may only need the booking reference now. You get that online. I print
that out.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,796
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:38 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

You may only need the booking reference now. You get that online. I print
that out.


I find it a bit random as to whether you need the card or not. Best
to take it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Put my first name before the at to reply.
  #9   Report Post  
Old August 22nd 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2007
Posts: 9
Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

Theo Markettos wrote:

In uk.transport.london David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)
wrote:
www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad- and
even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on it.


Make sure you get a train ticket, not a bus ticket! (They do both).
http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ is the train booking site.


Fair point- though it's clear enough on the website!

I don't think they'll post you the tickets, but you can select to collect
them from a machine at the station. Take the credit card you used to book
them with you as you'll probably need to use that in the machine.


Yes- they say that credit card is the only option if you're outside the
UK. Just as a data point, SNCF had no problem posting our TGV tickets to
the UK... for free. (Some UK train websites post tickets for free (e.g.
Virgin) some don't- some even charge silly credit/debit card charges now
too.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
onus is on them to show that there is anything there to talk about.
Otherwise they should just shut up about it." -Richard Dawkins
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oyster Online & change of email address Mike London Transport 1 May 26th 09 01:08 AM
Ordering train tickets to Salisbury online Jarle H Knudsen London Transport 2 April 15th 08 08:32 AM
Virgin print at home tickets Paul Scott London Transport 0 September 5th 07 05:16 PM
Best place to purchase an Annual Travelcard Sam London Transport 4 December 22nd 06 08:02 AM
Virgin acceptance of Silverlink tickets London-Bham Henry Littleton London Transport 3 September 11th 03 10:48 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017