Old November 6th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default New DLR trains

On Oct 26, 6:24*pm, MIG wrote:
On Sep 23, 4:20*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 23 Sep, 16:25, Boltar wrote:

Anyone been on them yet? Have they managed to solve the side to side
wobbling?

Yes, and I've been intending to but not yet got round to posting about
it (a bit like a million and one other subjects of transportational
interest in the Metropolis!).

I had one trip on a new DLR train a couple of weeks ago (during its
first week of operation) from Lewisham up to Shadwell. My impression
was certainly that it had a smoother ride, though the Train Captain -
sorry, PSA - I spoke to said he didn't think it was any better than
the older trains! I was specifically looking out for the side to side
wobble, and in my subjective judgement whilst it had not been
eliminated completely, where it was apparent it was much reduced in
comparison to the sometimes quite sharp jerking from side to side of
the older trains. Other aspects of the ride quality did feel a bit
smoother than the older trains, but not radically so.

The internal design of the new trains didn't appear to be particularly
revolutionary - the layout seemed to be pretty similar to the older
trains (if it ain't broke etc). The all glazed doors is a new look,
though there is actually part of the frame that spans the width of
each door internally which isn't particularly apparent from their
external appearance. And the internal LED signs were all green, can't
remember what colour they were externally.

I glimpsed another one. *The external displays are orange (as are the
internal and external ones on the old trains).

I've finally been on one. Only one stop, so I can't comment much on
the ride. It seemed to accelerate with more oomph than the old ones
currently do, but probably no more than they used to before being
reduced to a crawl (so what's that all about? do the new ones keep
catching up?).

I noticed a slight difference in the layout.

Originally, there used to be three very cramped longitudinal seats
between the doors and the transverse seats.

With the refurbishment, this was reduced to two seats, partly taken up
by the standback areas, and partly taken up by a bit more shoulder
room.

In the new ones, the two longitudinal seats are more cramped again,
and there is more legroom between the transverse seats. I don't know
what the idea of that is; maybe people will stand between them.