London Banter

-   -   Public transport - why? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7174-public-transport-why.html)

Steve Firth September 26th 08 02:34 PM

Public transport - why?

Huge wrote:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit full. But
boy, isn't New Street a ********?

Indeed, but outside near the Royal Mail depot is an extremely fine
Indian Restaurant with a decent wine list.

OTOH, when a colleague of mine was crossing from the station to the
restaurant someone bashed him over the head with a brick and stole his
laptop.

Bing Trotsky September 26th 08 03:33 PM

Public transport - why?

In article , lid
says...

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit full.

That's about the nicest thing I've ever read about Birmingham. IMO it's a
complete ******** and a bit full.

But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's in Birmingham, what do you expect?

Could be worse though. You might have had to go to Grimsby.

--
eric
Live fast, die only if strictly necessary.

Chris Eilbeck September 26th 08 04:36 PM

Public transport - why?

Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-21847775/

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Sam Nelson September 26th 08 05:10 PM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
says...
Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-21847775/

50 million for a thermonuclear device of some sort, and half a billion
for the rebuild?
--
SAm.

Steve Firth September 26th 08 05:38 PM

Public transport - why?

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

I'm still laughing at:

"this iconic new gateway to Birmingham will cement the city's place as
one of Europe's style capitals"

and

"will put Birmingham in the same league as architectural giants like
Barcelona and London"

No, please, make them stop.

Bing Trotsky September 26th 08 06:11 PM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
says...
In article ,

says...
Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-21847775/

50 million for a thermonuclear device of some sort, and half a billion
for the rebuild?

The trick is that they are doing the rebuild in Tamworth.

Peter Hucker[_2_] September 26th 08 06:14 PM

Public transport - why?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:19:15 +0100, Bing Trotsky wrote:

In article , says...
Paul Weaver writes:

On 24 Sep, 21:57, "Peter Hucker" wrote:
It's just not viable.

For a laugh (and because they just built a station next to my house) I decided to check the feasability of a train to work. *It takes twice as long and costs twice as much as by car. *(1.5 hours instead of 45 mins and 16.50 instead of 7.50)

Silly treehuggers.

Is this the same throughout the country? *I'm in central Scotland.

Nope. Train for me takes 1h05 - 1h20 depending on when I leave, car
takes 1h25 in good traffic

For me, train takes 20 minutes, door to door; the car 45-60. Cost of
train: about fiver; just parking the car costs rather more than that.

I'm in central Scotland, too.

I'm in central London. A 45 minute journey by car I can probably walk in
15 minutes.

I think the problem is my journey is not in line with the rails. I have to change twice (the train not my clothes).

I have an LPG vehicle which is cheaper, and I drive in a non standard way which is faster.

System error 4C: kernel panic

Chris Eilbeck September 26th 08 06:22 PM

Public transport - why?

(Steve Firth) writes:

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

I'm still laughing at:

"this iconic new gateway to Birmingham will cement the city's place as
one of Europe's style capitals"

and

"will put Birmingham in the same league as architectural giants like
Barcelona and London"

No, please, make them stop.

Well we'll never get anything built in Brum like the TGV station
outside Lyon. The Victorian Society were on the local news earlier
opposing a horrible concrete tower block being pulled down and
replaced with a metal and glass one.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Rusty Hinge 2 September 26th 08 07:57 PM

Public transport - why?

The message
from Bing Trotsky contains these words:
In article , lid
says...

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit full.

That's about the nicest thing I've ever read about Birmingham. IMO it's a
complete ******** and a bit full.

But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's in Birmingham, what do you expect?

Could be worse though. You might have had to go to Grimsby.

When in Birmingham visit the Anchor at Digbeth, and find an imposing
selection of cask-conditioned ales and beers.

Puts B'ham in a whole new category - i.e.: Must Go There.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 September 26th 08 07:58 PM

Public transport - why?

The message
from (Steve Firth) contains these words:
Chris Eilbeck wrote:
Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

I'm still laughing at:

"this iconic new gateway to Birmingham will cement the city's place as
one of Europe's style capitals"

and

"will put Birmingham in the same league as architectural giants like
Barcelona and London"

No, please, make them stop.

They don't combine the words 'Bull' and 'Ring' for nothing innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig