London Banter

-   -   Public transport - why? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7174-public-transport-why.html)

bof September 26th 08 08:40 PM

Public transport - why?

In message , Peter Hucker
writes
I drive in a non standard way which is faster.

Ooh, do tell more

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Bing Trotsky September 27th 08 03:14 PM

Public transport - why?

In article , lid
says...
On 2008-09-26, Bing Trotsky wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

Could be worse though. You might have had to go to Grimsby.

I last went to Grimsby about 30 years ago. I don't recall it being particularly
horrid.

It's the combination of the biting see breeze direct from Scandanavia,
the smell of rotting fish (though not from Scandanavia), and the added
bonus of the entire contents of just about every sewer in the Midlands or
Yorkshire emptying into the Humber to wash ashore at Cleethorpes.

--
eric
Live fast, die only if strictly necessary.

Peter Hucker[_2_] September 27th 08 06:15 PM

Public transport - why?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:40:24 +0100, bof wrote:

In message , Peter Hucker
writes
I drive in a non standard way which is faster.

Ooh, do tell more

Just take the highway code and burn half of it. Then remove all respect for other road users.

Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.

[email protected] September 27th 08 07:32 PM

Public transport - why?

In article , lid
(Huge) wrote:

It's in Birmingham, what do you expect?

Dunno. never been there before, so I didn't expect anything.

Some of Birmingham is very nice. My wife is from Bournville and my brother
was a student there, living in a number of West and South West Birmingham
locations, all pleasant enough.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Peter Hucker[_2_] September 30th 08 06:30 PM

Public transport - why?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:29:17 +0100, Hot Badger Deluxe wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:09:54 +0100, Owen Wilson wrote:

snip

Owen.

How much?

And why did you set FU without announcing it?

FU are for trolls.

The following is a telephone exchange between a hotel guest and room-service, at a hotel in Asia, which was recorded and published in the Far East Economic Review:

Room Service: "Morrin. Roon sirbees."

Guest: "Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service."

Room Service: "Rye..Roon sirbees..morrin! Jewish to oddor sunteen??"

Guest: "Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs."

Room Service: "Ow July den?"

Guest: "What??"

Room Service: "Ow July den?...pryed, boyud, poochd?"

Guest: "Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please."

Room Service: "Ow July dee baykem? Crease?"

Guest: "Crisp will be fine."

Room Service: "Hokay. An Sahn toes?"

Guest: "What?"

Room Service: "An toes. July Sahn toes?"

Guest: "I don't think so."

Room Service: "No? Judo wan sahn toes??"

Guest: "I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means."

Room Service: "Toes! toes!...Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we bodder?"

Guest: "English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine."

Room Service: "We bodder?"

Guest: "No...just put the bodder on the side.

Room Service: "Wad?"

Guest: "I mean butter...just put it on the side."

Room Service: "Copy?"

Guest: "Excuse me?"

Room Service: "Copy...tea...meel?"

Guest: "Yes. Coffee, please, and that's all."

Room Service: "One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy....rye??"

Guest: "Whatever you say."

Room Service: "Tenjewberrymuds."

Guest: "You're very welcome."